Proposal: Wayne Simmonds to Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Boyle: a 2nd
Simmonds and other middle line rentals: 1st with maybe a small add depending who it is or a prospect the acquiring team really wants
top 3 rentals: 1st+top prospect+possibly more

That's how I see it. And yes, there is a supply/demand issue that can change things. Maybe someone waits too long and sees their assets value crash...like Vanek with NYI. That could be Simmonds...or someone else. I said about a month ago on the Flyers board that I would trade Simmonds early rather than later for that reason.

Personally, I see Boston and other teams waiting on the top 3 guys 1st to see their landing spot first before going down to that next tier. Coyle was a good add because he is what Donato likely is in a few years. Traded the future "what if" for the now guaranteed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
& again Coyle just went for B prospect.

There's just too many forwards for all to return a 1st, Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Dzingel, Zuccarello, (Ferland), Simmonds.

How many teams are realistically looking at trading 1st's from contenders? Toronto has already traded theirs.

With Coyle Boston isn't desperate for Simmonds, it was nice for Sweeney to get it done early.

AGAIN, apples and oranges. Coyle isn't a rental.
The rental market is usually a fruitful one for the selling team especially in the wild card system with so many buyers although this year appears to be an exception with so many high end rental forwards available .
Guys with term being sold off at the deadline like what Minnesota is doing is the exception, not the norm and they also sold low on their assets. I have to point again at Boyle for a 2nd, there's your first benchmark for what a deadline deal might look like.

I'm not going to guarantee that Simmonds goes for a 1st because that would be foolish but guys like that usually go for a 1st.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The rental market is usually a fruitful one for the selling team especially in the wild card system with so many buyers although this year appears to be an exception with so many high end rental forwards available .
Guys with term being sold off at the deadline like what Minnesota is doing is the exception, not the norm and they also sold low on their assets. I have to point again at Boyle for a 2nd, there's your first benchmark for what a deadline deal might look like.

I'm not going to guarantee that Simmonds goes for a 1st because that would be foolish but guys like that usually go for a 1st.
Boyle: .39 PPG
Simmonds: .45 PPG

I'm sure those extra 5 points per 82 games push Simmonds into the 1st round category.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Boyle: .39 PPG
Simmonds: .45 PPG

I'm sure those extra 5 points per 82 games push Simmonds into the 1st round category.

lol, typical HF post.
Outside of this season, Simmonds usually scores more goals than Boyle scores points. You're comparing a 1st/2nd line scoring forward to a 3rd/4th line checking center.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
lol, typical HF post.
Outside of this season, Simmonds usually scores more goals than Boyle scores points. You're comparing a 1st/2nd line scoring forward to a 3rd/4th line checking center.
Yes, the production this season of a 1st/2nd line scoring forward has been about equal to a 3rd/4th line center's. This clearly inflates his value.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Simmonds will fetch a 1st at the deadline but that doesn't mean his value is anywhere near those guys. If you think that's all it's going to take to grab Stone/Panarin/Duchene, you're out of your mind. There are going to be a couple teams willing to give up a 1st plus a top prospect or young roster player and more for those guys and then there are going to be some teams that don't want to sell the farm and would rather just give up a late 1st for Simmonds.

Did I say that? No.

But there's a limit on teams ready to throw away their 1st.

Love how you think an extra year at 3.2M hurts Coyles value vs Simmonds.

There's not 10 teams who are trading their 1st.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I like Simmonds as a player but he is not what the Bruins need at all right now. Id rather stay put with prospects/draft picks for now unless we're getting high end offensive talent like Panarin or Stone. Would be a terrible idea to mortgage the future for a 50pt grinder.

Reactions: veganbruin

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Did I say that? No.

But there's a limit on teams ready to throw away their 1st.
There are 16 teams plus bubble teams who are almost all looking to add pieces at the deadline. Obviously not all are going to want to give up their first but plenty will and just because Stone/Panarin/Duchene might get traded doesn't mean 1st rounders are going to be involved. Those guys could be traded for young roster players or top prospects rather than picks that may amount to nothing. Some people here seem to think picks in the 20's are worth more than they are and every year we see players traded for a 1st when people here say it's not possible. I get it, you and possibly the Bruins might not want to make the trade but that doesn't mean another team wont.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There are 16 teams plus bubble teams who are almost all looking to add pieces at the deadline. Obviously not all are going to want to give up their first but plenty will and just because Stone/Panarin/Duchene might get traded doesn't mean 1st rounders are going to be involved. Those guys could be traded for young roster players or top prospects rather than picks that may amount to nothing. Some people here seem to think picks in the 20's are worth more than they are and every year we see players traded for a 1st when people here say it's not possible. I get it, you and possibly the Bruins might not want to make the trade but that doesn't mean another team wont.

How many 1st's get traded at the deadline yearly, 2-4?

Simmond will be in the after group this year, after the fate of big guys has been decided.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Love how you think an extra year at 3.2M hurts Coyles value vs Simmonds.

There's not 10 teams who are trading their 1st.

You never know. How many times has there been this many high end rental forwards available at the deadline?

I'll ask you this then and I know it's annoying to keep bringing up the same example but it's relevant. Did you think that Boyle was worth a 2nd before he got dealt? If the answer is yes then you were one of very few.
Point being, you're underestimating the stupidity of GMs and their willingness to overpay for the sake of "going for it".

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
How many 1st's get traded at the deadline yearly, 2-4?

Simmond will be in the after group this year, after the fate of big guys has been decided.
Did you look into your crystal ball for this information or just pull it out of your ass?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
No thanks, would not take Simmonds for much, maybe Backes, otherwise don't want him at all. I hope the habs or Leafs get him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It might actually be plan A for Sweeney, though. A 2nd round pick and B prospect or 4th round pick is about all I would give.

I would be pretty happy with Simmonds and Coyle as long as Pastrnak is good to go on time.

It may come to that, but even if it happens, I don't think calling it plan A will ever be true.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Please stop with this Simmonds talk too the Bruins..The bruins need a top six forward ,his name is Stone or someone similar.The Bruins made there depth deal for Coyle ,I don't hate the deal,but it is not the move that will bring the cup to Boston.I am a life long fan and sick and tired of the inadequate management and you can include ownership .....Time Don to grow a pair and give this team a legit chance to compete in the playoffs.The Bs have a and a solid coach and a core veterans that true professionals, there young players that have the right attitude and willing to be talked to by coaches and veteran leadership..........lets Donny ,Cam, and ownership get it done...............

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Please stop with this Simmonds talk too the Bruins..The bruins need a top six forward ,his name is Stone or someone similar.The Bruins made there depth deal for Coyle ,I don't hate the deal,but it is not the move that will bring the cup to Boston.I am a life long fan and sick and tired of the inadequate management and you can include ownership .....Time Don to grow a pair and give this team a legit chance to compete in the playoffs.The Bs have a and a solid coach and a core veterans that true professionals, there young players that have the right attitude and willing to be talked to by coaches and veteran leadership..........lets Donny ,Cam, and ownership get it done...............
Simmonds is a top 6 forward, easily

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
and do you think Rick Nash was worth the trade?

either way Bruins won't overpay again for such rental

But also can't see a lineup for Simmonds... look at what Mike Hoffman got the Sens

What is certain is....Flyers will need to trade him, unless want to lose him for nothing. No playoffs and losing UFAs for nothing is like the dumbest thing a team/gm can do
Even Nash had good underlying numbers for the Rangers. Simmonds 5 on 5 sucks on the Flyers.

Flyers seem to be hanging on to two things. 1st is his playoff performance from 2013/14, when he was a 60 point regular season player now hes sub 40 point. 2nd, some sort of toughness or intangibles.

Its not 2014 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad