Proposal: Wayne Simmonds to Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
To Flyers - Cehlarik, Clifton, 3rd round pick
To Bruins - Simmonds
Don't the Bruins already have 'Simmonds' type players on their 3rd/4th lines?

I'd think the Bruins would be more interested in a decent 2nd line winger.

EDIT - just realized the op was back in December, but my point of view remains the same.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So u agree it would be an overpayment?

Simmonds was REALLY struggling when I made that post. Could barely skate. Hes still not playing like he was a few years ago, but hes been better. I think a late 1st is probably about fair at this point.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
There was a time I would be all in on Simmonds ,that time has passed. Unless he comes real cheap, he is not someone the Bruins should pursue. I am not trying too diminish his talent ,but I think his best days are behind him.I certainly would not give a first rounder for him......

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So what do you want then

Simmonds is not worth a 1st round pick

Brian Boyle returned a 2nd so emphatically yes, Simmonds is worth a 1st. Players like Simmonds go for 1st+ every single trade deadline.
You might not think he's worth a 1st but the market tells a different story.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Question - would you rather have McAvoy at $7m per or Panarin at $9m per? Charlie will be commanding that money and we will have to give up more assets to acquire him.

Probably JFK and a first for a high risk non signed rental.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
We don't need Simmonds, the guy can't skate. We have just acquired CC who is a similar player.

I'm praying Charlie follows the footsteps of Blake Wheeler at his age. He has the tools but has a questionable motor.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
We don't need Simmonds, the guy can't skate. We have just acquired CC who is a similar player.

I'm praying Charlie follows the footsteps of Blake Wheeler at his age. He has the tools but has a questionable motor.

Simmonds would slot in fine in our bottom 6 and would be a welcome addition. Would give us some much needed sandpaper and net front presence too. If we're trading him to be in the top 6, at top 6 cost, no thanks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Brian Boyle returned a 2nd so emphatically yes, Simmonds is worth a 1st. Players like Simmonds go for 1st+ every single trade deadline.
You might not think he's worth a 1st but the market tells a different story.

& Nino went for a cap dump, while Coyle for B prospect.

Not a chance in hell I'd pay 1st for Simmonds.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Question - would you rather have McAvoy at $7m per or Panarin at $9m per? Charlie will be commanding that money and we will have to give up more assets to acquire him.

Probably JFK and a first for a high risk non signed rental.

No 1sts for a rental this year. If we trade the 1st for a younger player and term then by all means yes, but no rentals.

McAvoy at 7mm, for sure.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
& Nino went for a cap dump, while Coyle for B prospect.

Not a chance in hell I'd pay 1st for Simmonds.

Apples and Oranges. Nino was a disappointment who had a rich, long term contract so his value had disintegrated.

With rentals, there's an arms race so if the Bruins don't pony up for one of the top rental forwards on the market, somebody will. You guys never learn, it happens every year.
Again, it doesn't matter if "you" won't do it. Somebody will.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Apples and Oranges. Nino was a disappointment who had a rich, long term contract so his value had disintegrated.

With rentals, there's an arms race so if the Bruins don't pony up for one of the top rental forwards on the market, somebody will. You guys never learn, it happens every year.
Again, it doesn't matter if "you" won't do it. Somebody will.

Sure for Stone/Panarin/Duchene, even Dzingel, but thanks to them Simmonds isn't a A level rental this season.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Initially this offer was garbage from a Flyers POV. Now I don't think I'd offer much more than this.

Interestingly, he's actually looked much better the past several weeks, which anyone actually watching the games would attest to. His skating is back, and is much more involved on both ends of the ice. He was getting the bounces early this season and scoring, in spite of looking like he was a step behind everyone on the ice. Now, the bounces aren't there, but he's shown some chemistry with Patrick and will probably still reach ~20-25 goals. OP's offer is still very much a quality over quantity proposal that Fletcher would have to be Chia to take.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sure for Stone/Panarin/Duchene, even Dzingel, but thanks to them Simmonds isn't a A level rental this season.

Yes, this year is different in that respect but in a deadline market where Boyle returns a 2nd, Simmonds is almost assuredly going to return a 1st.

It always happens around here where people underestimate the stupidity of GMs then scream out "overpay" every time they do something stupid.
Personally, I wouldn't trade a 1st for Simmonds either but the trade market doesn't reflect what I, @BB88 or any other HFer would do.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Interestingly, he's actually looked much better the past several weeks, which anyone actually watching the games would attest to. His skating is back, and is much more involved on both ends of the ice. He was getting the bounces early this season and scoring, in spite of looking like he was a step behind everyone on the ice. Now, the bounces aren't there, but he's shown some chemistry with Patrick and will probably still reach ~20-25 goals. OP's offer is still very much a quality over quantity proposal that Fletcher would have to be Chia to take.

Interesting - Admittedly haven't seen much of Simmonds recently but I think after the Coyle trade we need him less. Not saying the Flyers should do the trade by any means, but I wouldn't give up anything significant I dont think.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes, this year is different in that respect but in a deadline market where Boyle returns a 2nd, Simmonds is almost assuredly going to return a 1st.

It always happens around here where people underestimate the stupidity of GMs then scream out "overpay" every time they do something stupid.
Personally, I wouldn't trade a 1st for Simmonds but the trademark doesn't reflect what I, @BB88 or any other HFer would do.

& again Coyle just went for B prospect.

There's just too many forwards for all to return a 1st, Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Dzingel, Zuccarello, (Ferland), Simmonds.

How many teams are realistically looking at trading 1st's from contenders? Toronto has already traded theirs.

With Coyle Boston isn't desperate for Simmonds, it was nice for Sweeney to get it done early.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Simmonds will fetch a 1st at the deadline but that doesn't mean his value is anywhere near those guys. If you think that's all it's going to take to grab Stone/Panarin/Duchene, you're out of your mind. There are going to be a couple teams willing to give up a 1st plus a top prospect or young roster player and more for those guys and then there are going to be some teams that don't want to sell the farm and would rather just give up a late 1st for Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad