Wayne Simmonds appreciation thread

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Here are a few well-written paragraphs from a tribute Bill Meltzer published today.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Trade Deadline Day: Simmonds Tribute, Raffl, Elliott, A Special Thank You

Good luck Wayne. You'll be missed.

Simmonds has always been a hockey player and man who walks the walk both on and off the ice. People talk about hard work, sacrifice and selflessness but Simmonds has lived it. He's always been one of the most charitable of Flyers players, always quite generous with his time and willing to reach out to others when he learns of people in need, especially kids.

In general, Simmons is an emotional person who wears his heart on his sleeve. What you see is what you get with him. He cares about Hockey Fights Cancer more than the average NHL player because his beloved grandmother Catherine Mercury passed away from breast cancer in 1995. He has explained that the reason why he often sports a Toronto Blue Jays cap when out and about in public is because his "Nana" was a diehard Blue Jays fans and it's one of his ways of honoring her memory.

When former teammate Steve Mason was going through an emotionally brutal family-related situation, Simmonds said something in the locker room that was so heartfelt that I didn't need to transcribe it to remember it word for word: "We are a family in here. We're all his brothers. If Mase needs me, I'm here for him. We all are. He can come to any one of us in here."

Likewise, when Ed Snider passed away, among all of the Flyers' players, Simmonds became the most genuinely emotional about his gratitude to the Flyers chairman for the way he took a personal interest in the Flyers' players as well as the team's fortunes. Simmonds said that much of what him proud to be a Flyer came directly from Mr. Snider's passion for the team.

Whether on or off the ice, Simmonds never forgets where he came from in life. He did not come from a youth of privilege -- far from it -- but he never lacked for love or priorities. As an adult, Simmonds deeply cares about kids who grow up under tough circumstances. The same loyal qualities that let teammates know he always has their back for better or for worse also manifest in his devotion to Scarborough and the Delaware Valley and Los Angeles communities that have supported him professionally. Locally, Simmonds is extremely generous with his time to Snider Hockey, the military, school programs and the fanbase in general.

For all the bad stories that come out about spoiled pro athletes behaving badly, there are still the guys like Wayne Simmonds who are just good, salt-of-the-earth human beings who believe not only in giving back to the community for its support but in directly paying it forward to other individuals.

Simmonds rewarded the sacrifices his family made for him to play hockey by doubling down on an already impressive work ethic. He's a good natural athlete but there are far more naturally talented hockey players in the NHL who get much less out of their ability than Simmonds does.

The number one reason: the burning desire that fueled a 19-year-old kid, whom former Kings GM Dean Lombardi discovered was sleeping in his car at his first camp with the LA Kings and who was the first one on the ice each day and the last to exit, still burns just as strong a dozen years later. Money hasn't quenched the fire nor has it hardened the heart that beats inside one of the toughest pound-for-pound players in the game today. He doesn't always win his battles, but he never quits and he is never out-competed.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
It is ridiculous how some people on this board have talked about Simmonds over the last year or more. Guy is a warrior and will be missed.

Actually it isn't. He produced for many years and played hard and through insane injuries but he was a mediocore hockey player at best the last two seasons. The pathetic return is evidence of his decline. Maybe he will come back after he is fully healed from his injuries.

I don't see him getting a big contract this offseason. Teams are finally getting wiser.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
When I went to my first Carnival in a decade back in 2016, Wayne was the one guy I absolutely had to meet. He's still the only signature on the front of my Flyers jersey. Everyone else I've gotten is on the back.

His decline was sad and I know it was time to move on, but I'm really gonna miss the guy. He's a warrior, did a ton for this team, didn't back down from anyone, and he'll always be one of my top-three favorite Flyers. Nashville better go out and win that Cup now, I'll be rooting for them. And like I said in the trade thread... when Wayne comes back to the WFC for the first time next year, he better get a killer tribute video.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
sad part is he is only 30..he should be in the middle of his prime...but his style of play just took a toll...i hope he bounces back and gets somewhat healthy again and can have a few more years of decent hockey...

when Richards was traded..he was the guy i most wanted and was excited to get back from the Kings

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It is ridiculous how some people on this board have talked about Simmonds over the last year or more. Guy is a warrior and will be missed.

You can appreciate a player and still recognize that they aren't the player they used to be. That's not ridiculous, thats just not getting emotional over player evaluation.

I loved Simmonds while he was here, and theres a small part of me that wishes he re signs a cheap deal in a reduced role to come back (though I certainly don't expect him to). But he's not the player he was.

Reactions: Foggy14

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Met him in Wegmans in Cherry Hill a few years ago. Took a picture with him and exchanged a few words. He was a down to earth good guy.
There was a produce department employee with Down syndrome who told me that Wayne had always talked to him and was genuinely involved in conversations.
I will miss Wayne the human

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Absolutely.

Clarke was my first favorite Flyer. Then it was Tocchet, then Forsberg, then Simmonds. He will be missed by any fan who appreciates players who give everything they have on and off the ice. When the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation needed players to help the cause, Simmonds was the first to volunteer and offer his time. He became an icon within the Foundation and loved those kids. When it was time to block a shot, throw big hit, drop the gloves, or stand in front of the net and take a beating for his team, Simmonds was the first one to volunteer. He never took shortcuts. Yes, his numbers declined, but many clueless fans have no idea what he meant to the Flyers locker room or to the organization as a whole... instead, they watch the game in a vacuum, are enamored with YouTube highlights and try to regurgitate stats in hopes they look smart. Play hockey at any level for 10 years and you'll know how important a player like Simmonds is to a TEAM. There's a reason a legend like Lundqvist broke down in tears when asked about Zuccarello. Simmonds was a true leader. He always put his teammates and the organization first. He will be missed. Go Preds.

As an aside, considering the absolutely pathetic return the clown Fletcher got for Simmonds, he would have been better off keeping him and hoping the Flyers were inspired by that enough to make a miracle run and sneak into the playoffs. The best play was to trade vets when the Flyers were tied for last in the league - so they had a legit shot at Hughes - but they messed that up. At this point, they were better off trying to sneak in the playoffs to get the kids some more playoff experience, then see if Simmonds was willing to take a 3 year deal in the summer. Hartman and a 3rd from NSH is a joke. Hartman stinks and that 3rd is pretty much a 4th. Of course some fans will now make Hartman out to be prime Mike Richards since he's a Flyer now, but whatever.

Peace out Simmer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The punch that somehow gave Glass Jaw McDonagh a concussion

NgGA.gif

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
You can appreciate a player and still recognize that they aren't the player they used to be. That's not ridiculous, thats just not getting emotional over player evaluation.

I loved Simmonds while he was here, and theres a small part of me that wishes he re signs a cheap deal in a reduced role to come back (though I certainly don't expect him to). But he's not the player he was.
I’m thinking he was referring to the many people saying repeatedly how lazy he was on the ice or how he didn’t care anymore, etc. (Not attacking you. Your post is rational)

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->