Wayne Gretzky's slapshot pic from Stanley Cup Final '87

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
gre.jpg

This pic is more or less famous -- it was even made into a "Slapshot" poster. It was taken in Philadelphia during Stanley Cup 1987 final series. Unfortunately, Getty Images neglects to mention during what specific game it was taken: Game 3, 4 or 6.

I even wrote to Bruce Bennett, the photographer... he doesn't remember.

Is there any chance to find out the exact game?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
View attachment 264857
This pic is more or less famous -- it was even made into a "Slapshot" poster. It was taken in Philadelphia during Stanley Cup 1987 final series. Unfortunately, Getty Images neglects to mention during what specific game it was taken: Game 3, 4 or 6.

I even wrote to Bruce Bennett, the photographer... he doesn't remember.

Is there any chance to find out the exact game?

Why are you creating so many threads with random pics asking for their origin?

Legitimately curious.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Why are you creating so many threads with random pics asking for their origin?

Legitimately curious.

LOL you are not the first one to ask. Here is the answer I gave to the very same question last week in another thread:

Because I am a stamp collector, and hockey is one of my topics. When I place a stamp into my collection, I would like to know as much as possible about the origin of the image on said stamp. Oftentimes (like now), I can find the original photo, but no information regarding the specific game. Some other times (like in some other threads), I can't even find the original photo, so I post the stamp image and ask colleagues to help me find the photo. This forum has been invaluable in finding all this info. It has made my hockey stamp collection much more informative than it would have been otherwise. I am quite grateful for all the assistance.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Think MSE has it nailed, unless the guy with the pink shirt considers it lucky (highly unlikely in Philly) what are the odds he wears it to all three games.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
We shouldn't rule out the possibility the fan in question could have a closet full of pink shirts nestled somewhere in their Chestnut Hill mansion.

Alternatively: "Did youse guys see me on TV last night? Behind the Oilers bench for the ... 4-1 drawlin."

"No way." Larry bit into the cheesesteak. "You weren't at the game, ya jawn."

"I was. And I got game 6 tickets too. I'll be the guy in the ... pink shirt. You'll see me."

Last edited:
Reactions: Pasha71

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Think MSE has it nailed, unless the guy with the pink shirt considers it lucky (highly unlikely in Philly) what are the odds he wears it to all three games.

There is also Sather's sport coat and also another fan whose shirt matches what I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pasha71

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
OK... I might be wrong, but at 1:38 we see Sather after Game 4 in an altercation with a fan... gray suit... not black as on the photo or in Game 6... which totally supports the Game 6 theory...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->