Wayne and Mario's sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydadx2*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Thanks, that tells me he is playing AAA at least....hes only 9 ah i thought he would have been 12 or so.

No, he plays Tier II (AA) in the local Pittsburgh league. He's a first year Squirt on a very good team, and he fits in well. He's not the best player on the team by any means, but he's gotten a lot better the last few years. Other players on his team are Bob Errey's kid and Dave Hannan's youngest. Errey's one of the coaches.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Metallian said:
Hockey doesn't transfer through children always.

Though Steen and Borques kid's have made it to a high level (and Steen to the NHL), look at the ones who made it nowhere like Belfours kid, or Rick Vaive's kid - both are horrible

Robert Nisson was a first rounder and looks like he'll have a promising career. Then there's Eric Nystrom's kid, who definitely isn't worthy of a top 10 pick but looks just as gritty as his old man. And then there's Troy Crosby's kid. :sarcasm:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Robert Nisson was a first rounder and looks like he'll have a promising career. Then there's Eric Nystrom's kid, who definitely isn't worthy of a top 10 pick but looks just as gritty as his old man. And then there's Troy Crosby's kid. :sarcasm:

Troy Crosby, however, was a goalie(canadiens draft). Apparantly, not a very good one.
:)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Is being a nine year old on a AA team good? I've got no idea how things are worked out over there. It would be better if you just had under 12, under 14 and such leages. Then I would be able to tell.

hockeydadx2*

Naru said:
Is being a nine year old on a AA team good? I've got no idea how things are worked out over there. It would be better if you just had under 12, under 14 and such leages. Then I would be able to tell.

In Pittsburgh, there isn't much in the way of real Tier I/AAA until PeeWee or so. A few teams exist, but relative to outside competition they are pretenders. Thus, the local Tier II league is actually pretty strong compared to most other US cities that are close by (Detroit is a notable exception). As a hockeydad myself, I'd say that the people who put their kids in Tier I around here prior to the second PeeWee year are wasting time and money.

It's not unusual to have a first year Squirt playing AA around here. Lemieux's kid is actually playing on a team that is a hand-picked highly recruited team. There is no rule against that sort of thing, or indeed any player movement year to year, in this league. The other really good team in that division is also a highly recruited team. Both of these teams go out of town to AAA/Tier I tournaments a lot, but don't forget that in the US there is no official Tier I or Tier II until PeeWee (Under 12).

He's a nice player, but if you didn't see the name on his back he wouldn't stand out at this time. He's still obviously young, and not very big yet. I assume this would change as his mother is tallish and obviously Mario himself is big.

It can't be easy to be a kid of one of true superstars. You get adults like us discussing them on bulletin boards, for God's sake!

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
A little OT, but how is the junior hockey in Phoenix area (or any other southern US same sized area) handed? Are there many teams or players in the same age in area surrounding Phoenix (or ...). And are there many rinks in lets say 100 miles from Phoenix (or ...)

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
McDonald19 said:
Doesn't Messier have a son who plays hockey?

Messier does have a son that plays hockey and is eligible for this years draft. I believe his name is Lyle (or something like that).

dell

Oct 5, 2005
Lyon Messier plays for the Texas Tornados of the North American Hockey League Tier 2 Junior A.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Korkki said:
A little OT, but how is the junior hockey in Phoenix area (or any other southern US same sized area) handed? Are there many teams or players in the same age in area surrounding Phoenix (or ...). And are there many rinks in lets say 100 miles from Phoenix (or ...)

I think the top level teams travel around.

Bobby Smith's son, who played for the Phoneix Firebirds in Midget AAA last year and is now with the Halifax Mooseheads in the Q, he said recently that they travelled all over the country playing teams in Minnesota, California, Boston, New York, Detroit, etc

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
hockeydadx2 said:
It's not unusual to have a first year Squirt playing AA around here. Lemieux's kid is actually playing on a team that is a hand-picked highly recruited team. There is no rule against that sort of thing, or indeed any player movement year to year, in this league. The other really good team in that division is also a highly recruited team. Both of these teams go out of town to AAA/Tier I tournaments a lot, but don't forget that in the US there is no official Tier I or Tier II until PeeWee (Under 12).

I don't understand.. Does his team consist of first and second year squirts?

In MA Tier 1 includes AAA and AA teams (they of course don't play each other)

AA are the teams created from the best players playing on town's A teams.

AAA teams have Major and Minor teams in each Mite, Squirt, Pee Wee, Bantams category.

HFaceOff

Feb 7, 2006
Saint John
SPG said:
This is sad... these poor kids :shakehead

Hey, don't forget there was this Hull guy, whose son, I think he played for Phoenix didn't he? And what about that Mark Howe dude? I think his Dad played hockey.

:yo:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I know it's way too early, but those boys will have a tough time filling the shoes left by their fathers. It happens to the sons of most great hockey players, outside Brett Hull, who had the personality necessary to shrug off the expectations put on him.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
taunting canadian said:
Wayne ane Brent Gretzky are the highest scoring brother combo in NHL history!
Highest scoring duo, but the Sutters outscore them by a hundred points or so if you are not limited to two players. :D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Metallian said:
Hockey doesn't transfer through children always.

Though Steen and Borques kid's have made it to a high level (and Steen to the NHL), look at the ones who made it nowhere like Belfours kid, or Rick Vaive's kid - both are horrible

Vaive's kid Jonathan (I think?) is doing great so far for the U18s or U17s or wherever he is for the US.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
jcoldwell said:
Messier does have a son that plays hockey and is eligible for this years draft. I believe his name is Lyle (or something like that).

Lyon.

And he will be lucky to be a 7th rounder. Never probably will ever even be AHL caliber.

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
So as it sits right now no one really knows much of anything about Mario or Wayne's sons and wether they play house league or AAA or are going to be able to be even called a prospect?

Marios son Austin plays on a Squirt AA team (9 & 10 year olds). He plays with my cousin. He's not very good. I've watched several of there games and he doesn't make an impact at all. He's sooooo skinny.

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
pensrule said:
Marios son Austin plays on a Squirt AA team (9 & 10 year olds). He plays with my cousin. He's not very good. I've watched several of there games and he doesn't make an impact at all. He's sooooo skinny.

I may be wrong on this, but I remember reading somewhere that Austin was born prematurely or something dealing with difficulty during birth. Hence he has always been somewhat behind in the growth process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->