Way too early standings predictions - #26

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I have a lot more faith in a team like Arizona than I do Buffalo. With all their rookies, I think Arizona is ready to make the "Toronto-lite" jump in standings.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have a lot more faith in a team like Arizona than I do Buffalo. With all their rookies, I think Arizona is ready to make the "Toronto-lite" jump in standings.

As do I. Stepan, Hjalmarsson, Keller, Strome, etc are going to impact that team in a pretty big way, and the defense is too good for the team to be bad again.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Islanders

They had the same record as Nashville last season despite being in the bottom 3 at New Year's before they finally fired Capuano and ended up with like the 7th best record in hockey after Weight took over.

Plus this year they will have the benefit of (in addition to no Capuano):
- Halak all year instead of Berube for half the season
- Eberle instead of Strome
- Ladd, Chimera, and Lee (among others) almost certainly not getting off to the absurdly terrible starts they had last season (like 3 goals combined through the first 20 games)
- A full year of Ho-Sang
- Pulock on the PP
- Possibly Barzal depending on his improvement
- A year of development from Pelech, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier

Brando

May 21, 2017
I think Arizona is a bubble team, although, to be fair, there are a lot of teams like that this year.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I don't think Florida or Arizona will be quite this bad next season. The 'Yotes especially. Domi, Strome, Dvorak, Duclair, and Keller is a fantastic group of young talent. Plus they added a lot this offseason, getting Raanta, Hjalmarsson, and Stepan. They're going to be good.

Philly was my vote. Their only forward talent is Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek. The D is thin, and the goaltending is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How is Florida winning this? They still have good young pieces and Luongo is no slouch
Arizona is banking on may too much youth IMO

Arizona has quite a few vets in the right places. They have a high end #1 dman in OEL, a great partner for him in Hjalmarsson, a guy who can anchor the 2nd pairing in Goligoski. Their top 3 dmen are very good and very established. And yes, they're inexperienced up front, but they picked up Stepan for the #1C role, which takes a lot of pressure off the young guys. The only real question mark is if Raanta can keep it up as a starter

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Panthers will be in the mix for a playoff spot deep into the season. Yeah, strong possibility they fall short. No chance they finish this low though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Arizona has quite a few vets in the right places. They have a high end #1 dman in OEL, a great partner for him in Hjalmarsson, a guy who can anchor the 2nd pairing in Goligoski. Their top 3 dmen are very good and very established. And yes, they're inexperienced up front, but they picked up Stepan for the #1C role, which takes a lot of pressure off the young guys. The only real question mark is if Raanta can keep it up as a starter

I'm not sold Stepan can handle #1 center duties with so much youth around him...Hjalmarsson is good but has a lot of miles on him
Raata is a wildcard

and coaching is unknown too

and they let go of their captain, so where's the leadership coming from? yes, Doan was done as a player, but he was a good mentor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->