Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Given that Toronto is looking much better, here is my New Years update.

1st (Toronto): Ty Smilanic (great skater, has played both C/W)
1st: Theodor Niederbach (right shot C, produces at all levels)
2nd (Rangers): Martin Chromiak (right shot winger who has been outstanding in international play; will be in CHL second half of the season, so he could improve his stock and not be available) or Ozzy Wiesblatt (excellent skater, battles all over the ice, right shot)
2nd: Joni Jurmo (tall D-man with elite speed)
3rd (Buffalo): Ronan Seeley (two-way D, high PSF)
3rd: Jack Finley (one of the younger and bigger forwards)
4th: Hugo Ollas (big G—now listed at 6'7" with decent numbers)
7th: Axel Kumlin (right shot D, another PSF favorite)
7th: Thomas Pelletier (passed over in 2019 draft, still only a month older than some 2020 prospects, big right shot D)

A big goalie with the name Hugo Ollas? A lot of potential there.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm not saying force it, but we'd be foolish to ignore defense, even as good as things currently are. **** can go south in a hurry, just look what happened to the Jets.
We definitely need to start restocking piling the d. All these picks can’t be forwards. I’d be fine with a 50/50 split including every pick except maybe the highest one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us use at least one of our 2nd rounders on the best available defender (in the eyes of GMBC). There should be a lot of blueline talent available in the 40s and 50s....guys like Eemil Viro, Topi Niemela, perhaps Tyler Kleven, or even Braden Schneider.....All would be solid pick ups.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Most of the mid-season rankings are out. Time for another iteration of the Canes 2020 draft. The good news is entering the break Toronto is outside the playoff cut line.

1st (Toronto) 12-15 range: Connor Zary. If this pick remains in this range the choice seems to come down to Zary, Jack Quinn, and Dylan Holloway.

Zary gets high marks for his playmaking and work ethic. So he gets the nod.
Though if Quinn continues to play like he has in the past month he could pass Zary. Quinn is a goal-scorer who is known as a tenacious player in all zones and a quality penalty-killer.
Holloway is the best skater of the three and has been a top-15 prospect longer.
All there turned 18 in September so are among the oldest first-year eligibles (more on that later).

1st 25 or so: If the TML pick remains 12-15, then this pick should be a real swing-for-the-fences selection. Of course, it is difficult to say who will be available in this range. I prefer two strong skaters. Jan Mysak or John-Jason Peterka. Mysak is my choice. He played in the Czech men's league as a 16 and 17-year-old. This season his numbers were similar to Necas' draft year numbers. He played in the WJC20 and then transferred to the CHL, it will be informative how well he performs on NA ice.
Peterka is one of the quickest forwards in the draft with a knack for scoring.

2nd (NYR): Joni Jurmo. Jurmo remains where I had him earlier. A big (6'3") defenseman whose speed is rated as "excellent" by HockeyProspect.com.

2nd: Another choice based on upside—Brett Berard. He is on the smaller side (5'9", 155) but wows scouts who see him. He is just beginning to show up on lists around 80. But I think it makes sense to pick him around 60. He is another excellent skater who is one of the top point producers on this year's USNTDP U18 team. As one of the younger players available (Sept. 9 birthday), he likely has more developmental upside than many older players.

3rd (Buffalo): Another young player with high upside is also one of the tallest players in the draft—Jack Finley. He has more than doubled his production from 18-19 and is strong in the face-off circle.

3rd: As Vagrant mentioned in another thread, it makes sense to limit penalties, especially from defensemen. In 96 junior games, Ronan Seeley has taken 4 penalties. Seeley has an August birthday. This year he has almost tripled his scoring (9 points in 52 games last year, 22 in 44 this year).

4th: Since Jurmo and Seeley are left-shot defenders it makes sense to draft a right-shot defender. Axel Kumlin is another highly disciplined defender—only 4 penalties in 51 SuperElit games the past two seasons.

7th: Waiting to take the obligatory goalie. Koen MacKinnes has been used mostly as a backup this season, but outside of one poor outing, has been well above average. He has good size and, according to those who have watched him, has decent NHL potential.

7th: Oops, need an over-ager. I liked Thomas Pelletier last season and the Canes thought enough of him to invite him to prospect camp. He has signficantly increased his goal-scoring. Since he is big (6'3', 194) and a right-shot D, this picks has tons of value.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Most of the mid-season rankings are out. Time for another iteration of the Canes 2020 draft. The good news is entering the break Toronto is outside the playoff cut line.

1st (Toronto) 12-15 range: Connor Zary. If this pick remains in this range the choice seems to come down to Zary, Jack Quinn, and Dylan Holloway.

Zary gets high marks for his playmaking and work ethic. So he gets the nod.
Though if Quinn continues to play like he has in the past month he could pass Zary. Quinn is a goal-scorer who is known as a tenacious player in all zones and a quality penalty-killer.
Holloway is the best skater of the three and has been a top-15 prospect longer.
All there turned 18 in September so are among the oldest first-year eligibles (more on that later).

1st 25 or so: If the TML pick remains 12-15, then this pick should be a real swing-for-the-fences selection. Of course, it is difficult to say who will be available in this range. I prefer two strong skaters. Jan Mysak or John-Jason Peterka. Mysak is my choice. He played in the Czech men's league as a 16 and 17-year-old. This season his numbers were similar to Necas' draft year numbers. He played in the WJC20 and then transferred to the CHL, it will be informative how well he performs on NA ice.
Peterka is one of the quickest forwards in the draft with a knack for scoring.

2nd (NYR): Joni Jurmo. Jurmo remains where I had him earlier. A big (6'3") defenseman whose speed is rated as "excellent" by HockeyProspect.com.

2nd: Another choice based on upside—Brett Berard. He is on the smaller side (5'9", 155) but wows scouts who see him. He is just beginning to show up on lists around 80. But I think it makes sense to pick him around 60. He is another excellent skater who is one of the top point producers on this year's USNTDP U18 team. As one of the younger players available (Sept. 9 birthday), he likely has more developmental upside than many older players.

3rd (Buffalo): Another young player with high upside is also one of the tallest players in the draft—Jack Finley. He has more than doubled his production from 18-19 and is strong in the face-off circle.

3rd: As Vagrant mentioned in another thread, it makes sense to limit penalties, especially from defensemen. In 96 junior games, Ronan Seeley has taken 4 penalties. Seeley has an August birthday. This year he has almost tripled his scoring (9 points in 52 games last year, 22 in 44 this year).

4th: Since Jurmo and Seeley are left-shot defenders it makes sense to draft a right-shot defender. Axel Kumlin is another highly disciplined defender—only 4 penalties in 51 SuperElit games the past two seasons.

7th: Waiting to take the obligatory goalie. Koen MacKinnes has been used mostly as a backup this season, but outside of one poor outing, has been well above average. He has good size and, according to those who have watched him, has decent NHL potential.

7th: Oops, need an over-ager. I like Thomas Pelletier last season and the Canes thought enough of him to invite him to prospect camp. He has signficantly increased his goal-scoring. Since he is big (6'3', 194) and a right-shot D, this picks has tons of value.

I like all of your picks. Three overagers that I hoped that Carolina had took last year but went undrafted are Billy Constantinou, Xavier Simoneau, and Kristian Tanus. If the Canes do what we did last year and trade down to the middle rounds (4th/5th/6th), I would love to take either of them in those rounds, particularly Simoneau.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
A big goalie with the name Hugo Ollas? A lot of potential there.

He's this guy's half-Cockney cousin:

51VXfTbc2bL._SY445_.jpg

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
1st 25 or so: If the TML pick remains 12-15, then this pick should be a real swing-for-the-fences selection. Of course, it is difficult to say who will be available in this range. I prefer two strong skaters. Jan Mysak or John-Jason Peterka. Mysak is my choice. He played in the Czech men's league as a 16 and 17-year-old. This season his numbers were similar to Necas' draft year numbers. He played in the WJC20 and then transferred to the CHL, it will be informative how well he performs on NA ice. Peterka is one of the quickest forwards in the draft with a knack for scoring.

I don't trust someone with two generic first names hyphenated. Were his parents indecisive? Was he a twin who absorbed his brother in utero becoming a human chimera? Does he have the strength of two men? How many penises does he have? Diphalia is a real thing.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't trust someone with two generic first names hyphenated. Were his parents indecisive? Was he a twin who absorbed his brother in utero becoming a human chimera? Does he have the strength of two men? How many penises does he have? Diphalia is a real thing.
Never would have I guessed that "Lady, would you be interested in a piece of west phalia?" could be used as a pick-up line.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
huge fan in this year's draft of jack quinn. he's an absolute finisher. there's a lot of questions around him due to his playing with marco rossi, but i think teams are learning their lesson on dismissing those guys who score gobs of goals even with an elite talent on their team. 35 goals in 41 games. he's also a september 1st birthday, so there's some rationale that suggests he's months older than a lot of these guys he's being compared to and this might be considered a mix of his draft season and +1 season, but this guy is no passenger. the disparity in his rankings over lists is a suggestion that the scouting world doesn't really know what to do with him and that confusion might help him reach us in the draft. currently 20th on button's list, and mckeen's likes him at 16th, but he's not favored by future considerations at 39th or iss at 26th. has an absolute ripper of a wrist shot and fast hands. it scares a lot of teams that he's so out of nowhere, but the tape doesn't lie. rising like jeff skinner did his draft season because he just couldn't stop filling the net. it wouldn't surprise me if he found a taker in the top 15 eventually, but if things stay as they are presently it's a possibility.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
huge fan in this year's draft of jack quinn. he's an absolute finisher. there's a lot of questions around him due to his playing with marco rossi, but i think teams are learning their lesson on dismissing those guys who score gobs of goals even with an elite talent on their team.
Great points—I was one of those who thought Quinn was a by-product of Rossi. But his goal total can't be ignored. As I said, if the Toronto pick remains 11-15, I can see him moving past Zary and Holloway by the draft.
Another player who has made a real case in the past two weeks is Martin Chromiak. He came over from Sloviak to play in the CHL in January. He has 5 goals (nine points) in 8 games. He is 11 months younger than Quinn. Chromiak could raise as far as the NYR 2nd round pick.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I hope Quinn is underrated despite being a goal scoring machine - like Kaliev and DeBrincat. He would be my first choice in the ~15-20 range unless someone like Lundell or Askarov falls.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Great points—I was one of those who thought Quinn was a by-product of Rossi. But his goal total can't be ignored. As I said, if the Toronto pick remains 11-15, I can see him moving past Zary and Holloway by the draft.
Another player who has made a real case in the past two weeks is Martin Chromiak. He came over from Sloviak to play in the CHL in January. He has 5 goals (nine points) in 8 games. He is 11 months younger than Quinn. Chromiak could raise as far as the NYR 2nd round pick.

the debrincat situation is very similar, because people just passing through the league leaders page would see both debrincat and mcdavid on lists and assume mcdavid was just bouncing pucks off him. then the next year he had the fortune/misfortune of playing with dylan strome and it only got worse. brock has even mentioned that quinn doesn't play at even strength with rossi and plays limited time with him in special teams, so he might be benefiting from better matchups but that's basically it. he's doing a lot of the heavy lifting on his own. i think he's a rare talent especially that far down the board. but again, if everything checks out for him there's a real possibility he might make one of the more significant jumps in the final rankings of most outlets. he was an afterthought last year so most of what scouts are going on are the 41 games he's played this year and if they can trust the production. extending it for the remainder of the year and getting to 50 goals would be an undeniable benchmark that helped several guys in similar breakout situations like it did for anthony mantha and jeff skinner. sometimes the sheer volume of goals is too much to ignore.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
He would be my first choice in the ~15-20 range unless someone like Lundell or Askarov falls.
I am still not sold on a goalie anywhere in the first. There was a thorough analysis of goalie performance a-hot-goalie-isnt-a-better-goalie, which while isn't specifically about where to draft a goalie does indicate that it is the position subject to the most random variation.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
as the Canes are required to take a Finn in the second
Well last year it was 2 in the 3rd and 1 in the 4th.

Jarventie might be available and is putting up numbers quite similar to Puistola.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
quinn went from unranked on pronman's list all the way up to 18. i still feel like he goes top 10 at the rate people are flip flopping on him the more the goals rack up. super interesting development in his case. it's similar to skinner for sure.

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jack Quinn (6-0, 179), RW, Ottawa (OHL):

The second-round pick (No. 39) in the 2017 OHL draft has 22 points (10 goals, 12 assists) in 18 games this season. The 18-year-old has five points (two goals, three assists) in a three-game point streak and 13 points (six goals, seven assists) in his past eight games.
NHL Central Scouting: "Plays a smart, hard-driving game, with good speed, instincts to execute plays and produce offense. He's clever and poised with the puck, competes responsibly to play a two-way game. His game is just hitting its stride and there's a lot of upside potential." -- Dan Marr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad