Watson suspended 27 games - UPDATE: Reduced to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
My biggest issue with this whole episode has been no allowance for a spectrum of severity based on the details of the incident. It's not a great situation, but it most certainly is not Greg Hardy either, which some folks on the main board clearly do not acknowledge. Beyond that, I think you serve the rest of the suspension and AW/Jenn put this unfortunate chapter behind them.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
My biggest issue with this whole episode has been no allowance for a spectrum of severity based on the details of the incident. It's not a great situation, but it most certainly is not Greg Hardy either, which some folks on the main board clearly do not acknowledge. Beyond that, I think you serve the rest of the suspension and AW/Jenn put this unfortunate chapter behind them.

Your post is reasonable and honestly more middle of the road than most. But the bold is what continues to drive me crazy about the whole thing. We have this odd need to be the nosy neighbor in everything now and act as if we have to gossip and form opinions about everything.

I don't know enough about the situation other than to know with certainty that I don't definitively know anything about it. It's definitely not a good situation though but I've finally come to the conclusion that the reason it's not a great situation is because we don't actually know anything but many act as if they know everything. And that's the bigger problem here.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And here in lies the problem, we will never know exactly what happened.

Purely based on my own opinion she was drunk and he did what he needed to do to control a drunk person. In the process of that it was in a public place and we have the rest of the story.

Oddly enough if he isn't a Preds player he probably is never prosecuted and it is dropped with no one ever giving it a second thought.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Oddly enough if he isn't a Preds player he probably is never prosecuted and it is dropped with no one ever giving it a second thought.

My very limited understanding is that apparently in TN if the police show up at a domestic incident then someone is going to jail. Full disclosure: I could be wrong of course since I'm only quoting what I've read through this process. Given my stance on how this whole thing has unfolded I'd be hypocritical if I acted as if I knew this for a fact!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My very limited understanding is that apparently in TN if the police show up at a domestic incident then someone is going to jail. Full disclosure: I could be wrong of course since I'm only quoting what I've read through this process. Given my stance on how this whole thing has unfolded I'd be hypocritical if I acted as if I knew this for a fact!
No someone is being arrested at the scene. Being arrested and being charged and actually taken to court are two different things.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
No someone is being arrested at the scene. Being arrested and being charged and actually taken to court are two different things.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah I'm not going to go down that path. You could be right that his Preds status is what made it happen but I'm wondering if it's more because of the backlash had they not charged him. You know 'oh, he got off because he's a Preds player'. I have no idea but that could go either way.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ah I gotcha. Yeah I'm not going to go down that path. You could be right that his Preds status is what made it happen but I'm wondering if it's more because of the backlash had they not charged him. You know 'oh, he got off because he's a Preds player'. I have no idea but that could go either way.
It's kind of in the same vein. If he had not been a Pred he is probably never even taken to court and the reason being a Pred matters is that they didn't want to be seen being soft on public figures.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

In 2016, 64% of domestic violence cases reported to police were cleared by arrest. Nearly 18% were cleared by "exceptional means," meaning something like the death of the offender, the victim refuses to cooperate, etc. So yes it is likely that an arrest will be made, but it isn't definite. I've also seen a wider study that went beyond TN and it found that 1 in 10 men accused of domestic violence will be arrested while 3 in 10 women will be.

I'd imagine finding the numbers for Williamson County would give us a better idea of how often police arrest someone for domestic violence when they arrive at the scene (if it happened 90% of the time, for instance, we could consider it pro forma), but meh.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
@Drake744 They (one was Adam Vingan, not sure who the other one was) were talking about it in the 6 o'clock hour last night on 102.5. I wasn't listening that closely but they did mention him. Because Arvidsson is on IR they said there probably won't be a callup--they were thinking the odd man out might be Salomaki. I think they said he was on the trip. You might be able to listen to the audio from the website.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Has anyone with the Preds even spoken his name during an interview or any discussion of the team? I thought it could be a good thing for the team to acknowledge the suspension and use that in support of DV awareness. A donation of his forgone salary to a worthy cause in that area. And on that note what does happen to his salary? A couple hundred thousand could go a long way.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I thought Josi said whatever way back when and said the players wouldn't have any further comment. Period.

Edit: meant to quote Fossil.

Reactions: PredsV82

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Has anyone with the Preds even spoken his name during an interview or any discussion of the team? I thought it could be a good thing for the team to acknowledge the suspension and use that in support of DV awareness. A donation of his forgone salary to a worthy cause in that area. And on that note what does happen to his salary? A couple hundred thousand could go a long way.
The money goes to an NHL Emergency Assistance Fund

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Glad I don't have a Twitter account, uninformed blow hards commenting without insight. I hope he does not play in Arizona to hateful ignorant fans and begins again Saturday at home with fan support. Lots of hate in the world today and I suspect he will get more than his share as the season progresses.

Good luck to him and his family.

Hope to see him and Arvy smiling their complementary hockey player smiles before long.

Reactions: sparkle twin

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
So I'm assuming his arrest is by now expunged? The deal was after 90 days there is no record of it, assuming he satisfied the criteria that was laid out in the sentencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad