Watson suspended 27 games - UPDATE: Reduced to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Yes, it is. The PA appealing this is pro forma. Had he been suspended for a dangerous play that caused injury then maybe we could expect a reduction, but Watson will sit for preseason plus 27 games as the appeal will be denied. He should sit for more, so consider him lucky.
:popcorn: Told ya it wasn’t over. I think Watson would do good to donate 9 games of his salary to an abuse charity at least.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
:popcorn: Told ya it wasn’t over. I think Watson would do good to donate 9 games of his salary to an abuse charity at least.

Why? When I think of domestic violence I look at the definition of it which is violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.

Yea I get it wasn't at home. That point doesn't matter. But I feel like there is information being left out. All that is being told is that he pushed her. Intend and circumstance matter. Was he the aggressor and went after and purposely pushed her? Was she aggressive towards him and he pushed her away in defense?

Everyone is outraged because we live in an outrage culture but the real question is why are we only getting 10% of the story out there?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Why? When I think of domestic violence I look at the definition of it which is violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.

Yea I get it wasn't at home. That point doesn't matter. But I feel like there is information being left out. All that is being told is that he pushed her. Intend and circumstance matter. Was he the aggressor and went after and purposely pushed her? Was she aggressive towards him and he pushed her away in defense?

Everyone is outraged because we live in an outrage culture but the real question is why are we only getting 10% of the story out there?
You pretty much stated the way I feel about this completely. I don't know what to think because I don't know what actually happened.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We've become so reactionary thanks to how quickly we are forced to process information now. It's basically as if you have to pick a side the minute a story hits your twitter feed. And those stories are hitting every second of the day. Pick a side. Stand your ground. Don't ever change your mind.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
There are certain buzz words or phrases in our society right now that cause outrage. Domestic violence is one of them. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the time, these instances warrant the outrage that automatically comes just from hearing the term. However there are undoubtedly things that we don't know that only the people on the legal teams do.

One documented thing from the start of this was that she was very drunk. Let's just say, hypothetically, that there's validity to the idea that maybe she was out of control and trying to get in the driver's seat and leave, or at the very least, something to put herself in harm's way. If you're a man what do you do? I guess in hindsight the answer is to "gently" stop her, but if you really don't put your hands on a woman under any circumstance, I guess the answer is to say well there's nothing I can do so best of luck. Hopefully you don't die. I don't know how the law works in other states but I'm almost positive Tennessee law requires one party to be arrested when a domestic call is made so to speak. So an arrest was going to be made no matter what happened really.

That's just one hypothetical scenario but my point is there have to be crucial details we don't and likely will never know, but my guess is that even though it's coined as that buzz phrase "domestic violence", something is known by other people that shows this isn't your typical "throw him to the wolves" case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gh24 and Adz

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Personally, this case has given me a nice example to teach my kid about making sure he keeps his hands to himself, no matter what the intent is. If this were me or an other non-celebish person, it is thrown out or not even a case. But because it is Austin Watson-Nashville Predator, I get why there is a suspension and loss of pay.

The outrage from the the outside is crazy. I've seen him compared to Voynov and Ray Rice. "Domestic Assault" is the name of the crime. It should be called "Domestic keep your drunk behind in the car-you aren't driving anywhere"

My .02.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
If the reddit is accurate then I actually have more respect for him. I understand sacrifice.Simple math. DUI and DV for baby mama or a possibly modified DV for me. They both received treatment and counseling and should have a healthier relationship. I agree about the money to a DV program

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I hope everyone who thought Watson should have been dumped from the team/kicked out of the league, etc. realizes that it's best not to make rash decisions/conclusions in the absence of all the facts.

This is consistent with what we heard right after it happened, the she was drunk and he was responding to her behavior.

Let's see if the NHL has the integrity to reinstate him. I'm guessing no.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I hope everyone who thought Watson should have been dumped from the team/kicked out of the league, etc. realizes that it's best not to make rash decisions/conclusions in the absence of all the facts.

This is consistent with what we heard right after it happened, the she was drunk and he was responding to her behavior.

Let's see if the NHL has the integrity to reinstate him. I'm guessing no.

He did plea no contest to a DV charge which I'm sure factored into the league's, and the arbitrator's, rulings.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
He did plea no contest to a DV charge which I'm sure factored into the league's, and the arbitrator's, rulings.

Well, yes. As anyone in the circumstance would have given the tiny slap on the wrist punishment vs the alternative.

It's a shame the GFs story didnt come out before but she may have been advised to wait so as to not be thought to be lying to help his case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->