Watson suspended 27 games - UPDATE: Reduced to 18 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Dayummmmm. Oh well. We’ll be okay without him for that long. Gives some of the other depth we added to get a shot.
About time though, sheesh.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That's actually better than I expected. 1/3 of the season. I was expecting at least 1/2 the year

Now let's hope Austin has taken care of these issues and nothing like this ever happens again

And I'm guessing we probably shouldnt venture to the main board. I'm sure the "ban him for life" crowd is apoplectic

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
not near as much as i thought. 41 games was my expectation.

Probably ties in to the fact that it’s likely more about the perception of what may have happened vs what actually happened. League has to do something even if they received all of the facts and realize there’s not much there.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
NHLPA already appealing, this thing isn't done yet

Yes, it is. The PA appealing this is pro forma. Had he been suspended for a dangerous play that caused injury then maybe we could expect a reduction, but Watson will sit for preseason plus 27 games as the appeal will be denied. He should sit for more, so consider him lucky.

Reactions: Dave is a killer

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don't know if we can do this but if I'm Nashville I bump up the suspension to 42 games to show people that they are serious about domestic violence.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I don't know if we can do this but if I'm Nashville I bump up the suspension to 42 games to show people that they are serious about domestic violence.
I mean, probably could do it, but I think it would open us up to some type of NHLPA lawsuit or something along those lines. I also don't think via his contract we could do it without pay.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

They couldn't do it without paying him. He loses his salary for the 27 games as it is. The PA wouldnt stand for any more than the league determined was appropriate

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Seeing the quotes from the front office and Josi make me wonder what Jen said to the team about the incident. She and the baby keep getting mentioned.

That said ... I could easily live with Austin Watson never donning a Preds sweater again.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but I will just throw my two cents in- I have no problem whatsoever with the punishment or the fact that Watson is still on the roster and still has the support of the organization.

Before anyone wants to bash- I am not condoning for one second what he did. It was wrong- period.

But for me, there can't just be one set zero tolerance extreme penalty for every offense. Not all offenses are equal.

It is pretty interesting seeing the twitter mob out in full force wanting Watson to basically be kicked out of the league. People who don't even have a clue what happened are labeling him a woman beater, no different than guys like Voynov/Joe Mixon/Ray Rice.

There is a HUGE difference in what Watson did versus those 3. But people seem to want all punishment to be the same regardless of the severity of the incident.

Again, I am not condoning Watson's actions- and this is his one and only second chance- anything else and I retract everything above.

But today, right now? I have no issue with the punishment or the fact that he is still on the team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but I will just throw my two cents in- I have no problem whatsoever with the punishment or the fact that Watson is still on the roster and still has the support of the organization.

Before anyone wants to bash- I am not condoning for one second what he did. It was wrong- period.

But for me, there can't just be one set zero tolerance extreme penalty for every offense. Not all offenses are equal.

It is pretty interesting seeing the twitter mob out in full force wanting Watson to basically be kicked out of the league. People who don't even have a clue what happened are labeling him a woman beater, no different than guys like Voynov/Joe Mixon/Ray Rice.

There is a HUGE difference in what Watson did versus those 3. But people seem to want all punishment to be the same regardless of the severity of the incident.

Again, I am not condoning Watson's actions- and this is his one and only second chance- anything else and I retract everything above.

But today, right now? I have no issue with the punishment or the fact that he is still on the team.

Pretty much my thought based on this one incident. Now if the NHL or the Preds know this isn't just a one time thing and has been on going then my view changes on it. However, if it was a one time incident and they have no evidence otherwise, losing 1/3 of the season, which is also 1/3 of his pay works for me. Lets face it, Watson isn't making millions a season, so it's a pretty big deal for him, much more so than say a guy making 4-5 million a season who has his other millions to fall back on.

Reactions: Tex76 and LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Agree with the previous 2 posters for the most part.

I still get back to the fact that this doesn't have to be either a person is an angel or Ray Rice. People make mistakes and I'm going to continue to assume that this was an extremely small mistake given the punishments that have been given out. Anyone can obviously form their opinion based on whatever criteria they want but I'll form mine based on what I know to be true. Legal slap on the wrist. Suspension looks to be just enough to get people to maybe complain for a day then go away. Etc.

Reactions: Tex76

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Seeing the quotes from the front office and Josi make me wonder what Jen said to the team about the incident. She and the baby keep getting mentioned.

That said ... I could easily live with Austin Watson never donning a Preds sweater again.

It was reported that she was intoxicated at the time of the incident. Makes you wonder if she is getting treatment/help as well. Also makes you wonder if the baby was ever taken out of their custody

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Perhaps a bit longer than I was thinking, but I think it is completely fair. Sends the message that this is serious and will not be accepted. Really happy the team addressed the issue upfront, and AMEND has wanted to continue the partnership. Hopefully whatever prompted this situation is being dealt with and we see Austin doing some public service work while he is out.

Reactions: Tex76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->