Watching the Rangers outside NY?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
This happens in Pennsylvania with the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins. If a team claims you are in their market, then yes - you cannot watch the game on Center Ice / NHL.tv. You MUST watch the game on the RSN for your team. Your recourse is to pester the cable company to add the multi-channel feeds of the RSN in question.

Gary Bettman was on WFAN some years ago, just when NBCSN was being born out of VS. A caller from Wayne County PA was complaining that he couldn't get the Rangers on Center Ice, because he was considered "in-market" for the Rangers. Yet, his cable company refuses to carry MSG. Bettman told the caller that he needs to take the issue to the cable company...

Now the cable company is not going to want to pay a per-subscriber fee (for all the subscribers on the system) for the few numbers of customers who want Rangers games in Wayne County, so they decline to carry the network. You are probably in the same boat.

What RSN's can you get with DirecTV?

(BTW, I think you can get free NHL Audio with an NHL.com account... - So you can listen to Kenny and Dave on the radio...)

DirecTV picks up all of the RSNs, unless the RSN is a Time Warner concoction like the LA Dodgers situation.

In the Upstate New York situation with DirecTV:

634 is MSG
635 is MSG+
635-1 is MSG Buffalo
635-2 is MSG+2
635-3 is MSG2

In a situation where ALL teams including the Knicks are playing:

634 has the Knicks
635 has the Islanders or Devils
635-1 has the Sabres
635-2 has the Devils or Islanders
635-3 has the Rangers

No blackouts would be occurring as all teams are "in-market". Cable does not have 5 dedicated channels. DirecTV does.

A similar situation occurs in Charlotte. Spectrum (Time Warner) only has a few channels dedicated to sports, and they do not pick up MASN. We are deemed to be within Orioles and Nationals territory. MASN is their carrier.

Charlotte's RSNs become very funky.

640 is MASN
646 is Fox Sports Southeast
There are a whole bunch of 646-x subchannels, one is FS Carolinas, FS Tennessee, etc.
649 is another one.

But because we share some overlap with Atlanta, occasionally channels are blacked out, when the Hawks play. But, we are also considered in the area for the Atlanta United soccer team, so those aren't blacked out. Even wackier is that because FS Southeast extends into Kentucky, and it is our "primary RSN", and that Kentucky is deemed Cincinnati Reds territory, Charlotte is a secondary market for the Reds (661 becomes an RSN - FS Cincinnati)

I won't even get into how we are also a secondary for the Predators, but it doesn't create live blackout situations.

I spend the extra $10 a month for the national sports package. Really interesting what is blacked out and when, and even more interesting is what ISN'T blacked out.

richter4ever

Jul 7, 2014
New Hartford N.Y.
This happens in Pennsylvania with the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins. If a team claims you are in their market, then yes - you cannot watch the game on Center Ice / NHL.tv. You MUST watch the game on the RSN for your team. Your recourse is to pester the cable company to add the multi-channel feeds of the RSN in question.

Gary Bettman was on WFAN some years ago, just when NBCSN was being born out of VS. A caller from Wayne County PA was complaining that he couldn't get the Rangers on Center Ice, because he was considered "in-market" for the Rangers. Yet, his cable company refuses to carry MSG. Bettman told the caller that he needs to take the issue to the cable company...

Now the cable company is not going to want to pay a per-subscriber fee (for all the subscribers on the system) for the few numbers of customers who want Rangers games in Wayne County, so they decline to carry the network. You are probably in the same boat.

What RSN's can you get with DirecTV?

(BTW, I think you can get free NHL Audio with an NHL.com account... - So you can listen to Kenny and Dave on the radio...)
Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunatly I have Slime Warner (speculum). Are you saying that If I switch to direct T.V. and pay an extra feed, I would be able to watch ALL Ranger games. I'm 60 and don't know what RSN means!!

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunatly I have Slime Warner (speculum). Are you saying that If I switch to direct T.V. and pay an extra feed, I would be able to watch ALL Ranger games. I'm 60 and don't know what RSN means!!

RSN = Regional Sports Network

From the post above, it would seem that DirecTV offers all multi-channel feeds of RSN's that they carry (MSG, MSG2, MSG+, MSG2+, etc). So, in your case, if you are considered IN-MARKET for the NY Rangers, you would be able to watch all the Rangers games. I do not believe that you are in a Buffalo Sabres exclusive zone, but I could be mistaken.

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sp...zo-NHL-s-blackout-rule-still-irks-6548317.php

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sp...Same-frustration-for-Rangers-fans-9888195.php

At least with DirecTV, your inability to watch the Rangers will be a result of league blackout policy, and NOT cable company bandwidth.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
RSN = Regional Sports Network

From the post above, it would seem that DirecTV offers all multi-channel feeds of RSN's that they carry (MSG, MSG2, MSG+, MSG2+, etc). So, in your case, if you are considered IN-MARKET for the NY Rangers, you would be able to watch all the Rangers games. I do not believe that you are in a Buffalo Sabres exclusive zone, but I could be mistaken.

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sp...zo-NHL-s-blackout-rule-still-irks-6548317.php

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sp...Same-frustration-for-Rangers-fans-9888195.php

At least with DirecTV, your inability to watch the Rangers will be a result of league blackout policy, and NOT cable company bandwidth.

If he's "in-market", he'd get the games on one of the MSG channels.

If he's out of market, he'd get the games on Center Ice.

It sounds like his issue is a cable company bandwidth issue forced by the NHL, that the Sabres get priority.

richter4ever

Jul 7, 2014
New Hartford N.Y.
If he's "in-market", he'd get the games on one of the MSG channels.

If he's out of market, he'd get the games on Center Ice.

It sounds like his issue is a cable company bandwidth issue forced by the NHL, that the Sabres get priority.
I'm considered "in market for the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. I'm a Ranger fan and hate the other 3. The Sabres have priority over all other teams on MSG in this area unless the Knicks are playing at the same time then the Sabres are pushed to MSG+. Slime warner offers us MSG and MSG+ thats it. So if the Sabres and Knicks aren't playing then i can watch the Rangers. Center Ice and Gamecenter are not options. A couple of years ago there was a website called ************* which was a godsend. It was a paysite but i didnt care. Of course the NHL took that down to. Sucks to me i guess

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm considered "in market for the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. I'm a Ranger fan and hate the other 3. The Sabres have priority over all other teams on MSG in this area unless the Knicks are playing at the same time then the Sabres are pushed to MSG+. Slime warner offers us MSG and MSG+ thats it. So if the Sabres and Knicks aren't playing then i can watch the Rangers. Center Ice and Gamecenter are not options. A couple of years ago there was a website called ************* which was a godsend. It was a paysite but i didnt care. Of course the NHL took that down to. Sucks to me i guess

Pretty sure DirecTV solves your problem as your issue is a cable bandwidth issue.

m429

Apr 24, 2012
Outside of recording a game on the NHL package, is there any way to DVR game after cutting the cord?

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Outside of recording a game on the NHL package, is there any way to DVR game after cutting the cord?

DVR'ing a game implies that you have a subscription to watch the game and can set your DVR to record it.

You can DVR the games on your local NBC affiliate, since those games air on free-OTA TV.

Options for recording a game on, say, NHL.tv will be difficult because your DVR will not know how to tune in a game. There are too many button presses (say, with a Roku) to select and start the game.

If you have NHL.tv, you can watch a past game, but you might need to wait 24 hours..

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I left the NYC area for good over ten years ago, so can someone explain how the hell the Sabres wound up on MSG? Can MSG customers in the NYC area watch all the Buffalo games?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I left the NYC area for good over ten years ago, so can someone explain how the hell the Sabres wound up on MSG? Can MSG customers in the NYC area watch all the Buffalo games?

MSG bought the rights. No, they are not shown on MSG in the NY Metro area.

m429

Apr 24, 2012
DVR'ing a game implies that you have a subscription to watch the game and can set your DVR to record it.

You can DVR the games on your local NBC affiliate, since those games air on free-OTA TV.

Options for recording a game on, say, NHL.tv will be difficult because your DVR will not know how to tune in a game. There are too many button presses (say, with a Roku) to select and start the game.

If you have NHL.tv, you can watch a past game, but you might need to wait 24 hours..

This has always been my understanding, too, and honestly is the only thing stopping me from cutting the cord.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
This has always been my understanding, too, and honestly is the only thing stopping me from cutting the cord.

Well, when you "get home late", and the game is still running, you can elect to watch a game on NHL.tv "from the beginning" or "join in progress." I am not sure how stoppages are addressed. Commercials are typically blacked out anyway, so when you start from the beginning, the stream may simply jump over the commercial break until you catch up.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, when you "get home late", and the game is still running, you can elect to watch a game on NHL.tv "from the beginning" or "join in progress." I am not sure how stoppages are addressed. Commercials are typically blacked out anyway, so when you start from the beginning, the stream may simply jump over the commercial break until you catch up.

The commercial jumps aren't programmed in until after the game is over. Usually it doesn't take 24 hours to watch an RSN game that was on NHL.tv. That was more of an issue with GameCenter Live. NHL.tv has them up usually an hour or two later.

Something to note about NHL.tv and Center Ice. They're much more of a rip off to have as a Rangers fan than as a Lightning fan. Why? Because the Rangers are on NBCSN and NHLN far more often. Whenever they are, those subscriptions are blacked out. These aren't always exclusive national broadcasts we're talking about either. A Monday night game on NBCSN is often just picked up from an RSN. NHLN games are always picked up from an RSN. Yet they're blacked out on the packages anyway.

Btw, SlingTV does offer a DVR service now. I'm not sure how well it works.

My thing is, if the only access to TV is through the Internet, I'm going to want the fastest speed. When it's not bundled, that costs about $90 per month. You add on the SlingTV package you need and you're up to about $125. A bundled TV and Internet package that includes NBCSN, NHLN and DVR is about $130.

So it really comes down to which is more important: DVR or portability. For me, it's DVR so I'm sticking with the cable bundle for now. If I was traveling a lot, I'd probably go with streaming.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
MSG bought the rights. No, they are not shown on MSG in the NY Metro area.

A little more complicated that that.

The Sabres used to be on something called Empire and it was pretty much local to Buffalo and Rochester. Empire was controlled by Adelphia Cable. Sabres were owned by John Rigas, who owned Adelphia. Somehow, the Knicks were picked up on Empire, even though Buffalo should have been Cleveland territory. Anyway, when Rigas was indicted, Adelphia's assets were up for bid, and MSG got Empire (because the Knicks were already there).

When that happened, Bettman and the NHL thought it would be a great idea to expand the Sabres territory, making almost all of upstate New York Sabres territory. Upstate Ranger fans got screwed. Because of the priority rules, cable companies, unless they have the channel bandwidth, have to show the Sabres over the Rangers.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The commercial jumps aren't programmed in until after the game is over. Usually it doesn't take 24 hours to watch an RSN game that was on NHL.tv. That was more of an issue with GameCenter Live. NHL.tv has them up usually an hour or two later.

Something to note about NHL.tv and Center Ice. They're much more of a rip off to have as a Rangers fan than as a Lightning fan. Why? Because the Rangers are on NBCSN and NHLN far more often. Whenever they are, those subscriptions are blacked out. These aren't always exclusive national broadcasts we're talking about either. A Monday night game on NBCSN is often just picked up from an RSN. NHLN games are always picked up from an RSN. Yet they're blacked out on the packages anyway.

Btw, SlingTV does offer a DVR service now. I'm not sure how well it works.

My thing is, if the only access to TV is through the Internet, I'm going to want the fastest speed. When it's not bundled, that costs about $90 per month. You add on the SlingTV package you need and you're up to about $125. A bundled TV and Internet package that includes NBCSN, NHLN and DVR is about $130.

So it really comes down to which is more important: DVR or portability. For me, it's DVR so I'm sticking with the cable bundle for now. If I was traveling a lot, I'd probably go with streaming.

Which is a joke.

MLB Extra Innings does not have the same rules.

When ESPN shows a game, the game is also available on Extra Innings with both home/away calls.

The only time a local call is not available is on a Saturday when FS1 has the game, but even then, because Fox realized that a National Game of the Week is a ratings disaster, the FS1 game is only distributed in the markets of the teams playing. The other "national" games are available on Extra Innings, usually with the home broadcasters with a Fox graphics overlay.

MLB USED to have the same rules as the NHL, but realized local broadcasts do 100% up to 1000% higher than national broadcasts even in local team areas.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Which is a joke.

MLB Extra Innings does not have the same rules.

When ESPN shows a game, the game is also available on Extra Innings with both home/away calls.

The only time a local call is not available is on a Saturday when FS1 has the game, but even then, because Fox realized that a National Game of the Week is a ratings disaster, the FS1 game is only distributed in the markets of the teams playing. The other "national" games are available on Extra Innings, usually with the home broadcasters with a Fox graphics overlay.

MLB USED to have the same rules as the NHL, but realized local broadcasts do 100% up to 1000% higher than national broadcasts even in local team areas.

So, the NHL has to do everything MLB does? It is done to protect NBCS and NHL Network. I would subscribe to NHL Network, with or without the games. NBCS? Only reason for me to bother with it is for NHL games. I also get Center Ice. If I could get the NBCS games on Center Ice, I wouldn't bother paying for NBCS. Without that exclusivity, the games are worth less to NBCS, and thus they pay the NHL less.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I may be moving to Florida soon so this thread is of interest to me. However, my parents are staying in NY and have Cablevision. Can I simply use the MSG GO app and sign in with my parents account to stream the game? Does it have the Chrome cast option to stream to the TV?

Also, has anyone bought the MLB packages? I'd want to get the Mets too.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I may be moving to Florida soon so this thread is of interest to me. However, my parents are staying in NY and have Cablevision. Can I simply use the MSG GO app and sign in with my parents account to stream the game? Does it have the Chrome cast option to stream to the TV?

I think that should work. I've never used MSG GO before but if it has similar functionality to other sports streaming apps you should be good to go.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So, the NHL has to do everything MLB does? It is done to protect NBCS and NHL Network. I would subscribe to NHL Network, with or without the games. NBCS? Only reason for me to bother with it is for NHL games. I also get Center Ice. If I could get the NBCS games on Center Ice, I wouldn't bother paying for NBCS. Without that exclusivity, the games are worth less to NBCS, and thus they pay the NHL less.

Except the games we are talking about aren't exclusive. I have no problem with not being able to watch Wednesday Night Rivalry games on Center Ice. That's an exclusive NBSCN broadcast. Where I have a problem is in the situations where NBCSN is showing the MSG broadcast with Sam and Joe and simply giving you their own intermission reports. Ditto NHLN. Unlike someone who lives in NY and has access to MSG as part of their cable package, I'm forced to watch those channels even though they're not broadcasting exclusively.

More than that, though, is that as a Rangers fan, I pay the same amount for the Center Ice or NHL.tv packages as a Lightning fan. Meanwhile, I can use the subscription for something like 15-20% less of the season than a Lightning fan. Not because of exclusive broadcasts, but because of the non-exclusive ones.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm not sure if MSG GO allows out of market streaming. I know, for example, that SNY, which streams their games through the NBC Live Extra app, doesn't allow it for Mets games. My dad was trying to watch the Mets that way when he was here in Charlotte last time and we discovered that it does not work.

It would be something to look into.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

I think that should work. I've never used MSG GO before but if it has similar functionality to other sports streaming apps you should be good to go.

I've used the MSG GO app out-of-market to watch the Rangers on my iPod touch, and it works.

SNY is rolled into the NBCSports App, and you can watch Mets games there. Haven't tested out of market yet. Not sure how you'd get WPIX Channel 11 games, though.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I've used the MSG GO app out-of-market to watch the Rangers on my iPod touch, and it works.

SNY is rolled into the NBCSports App, and you can watch Mets games there. Haven't tested out of market yet. Not sure how you'd get WPIX Channel 11 games, though.

And there's the answer. I can attest to the fact that you can't watch Mets games out of market on the NBCSports App though.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I would subscribe to NHL Network, with or without the games. NBCS? Only reason for me to bother with it is for NHL games. I also get Center Ice. If I could get the NBCS games on Center Ice, I wouldn't bother paying for NBCS. Without that exclusivity, the games are worth less to NBCS, and thus they pay the NHL less.

I imagine that in order to get the NHL Network, you will need to subscribe to all the tiers below the one the NHL Network is on. NBCSN has been, in my experience, on the Standard Tier (one above Broadcast Basic). The content owners require this "buy-through" process.

So you typically cannot get NHL Network without already getting NBCSN...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I imagine that in order to get the NHL Network, you will need to subscribe to all the tiers below the one the NHL Network is on. NBCSN has been, in my experience, on the Standard Tier (one above Broadcast Basic). The content owners require this "buy-through" process.

So you typically cannot get NHL Network without already getting NBCSN...

If MLBAM/the NHL was smart, they'd offer NHL Network as an add-on to NHL.tv that you could pay a little extra for.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

Have your folks rent you a STB from Cablevision and get yourself a SlingBox. The Slingbox will stream the content from your "rented" cable box up here to your home in FLA... It's a place-shifter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->