Watching the Rangers outside NY?

rholt168

Hen-rik!
Mar 30, 2009
Hey guys, wasn't really sure where to ask this but I'm moving to Raleigh in July but obviously want to still watch my Rangers and other NY sports teams. Is the best way to go about it? Any one that has done it, is the quality still good enough to watch on large TVs?

Thanks!

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I moved to California last August, and I use NHL.tv to watch the Rangers

It's a good service, worth the price aside from some dumb rules they have

For the other NY sports teams, I'm not too sure. I would look into Sling TV, and see what channels they offer. It really comes down to if you want to pay per month for everything.

I would also look into buying a Roku Streaming stick. That's what I use to watch most of the content I consume, including Rangers games

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hey guys, wasn't really sure where to ask this but I'm moving to Raleigh in July but obviously want to still watch my Rangers and other NY sports teams. Is the best way to go about it? Any one that has done it, is the quality still good enough to watch on large TVs?

Thanks!

Reddit NHL streams, HDMI cable to hook up to your TV and you're good to go.

Reactions: Fvital92 and Bozle

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

It's a good service, worth the price aside from some dumb rules they have

For the other NY sports teams, I'm not too sure. I would look into Sling TV, and see what channels they offer. It really comes down to if you want to pay per month for everything.

I would also look into buying a Roku Streaming stick. That's what I use to watch most of the content I consume, including Rangers games

I used to pay for NHL.tv but as far as I know the games get blacked out during the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong. It's complete ******** on the NHL's part. So many games get blacked out for paying customers.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I used to pay for NHL.tv but as far as I know the games get blacked out during the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong. It's complete ******** on the NHL's part. So many games get blacked out for paying customers.

The NBC deal ensures that every playoff game is shown nationally, via a pay TV Netowrk. Regional Sports Networks can only show Round One games, and then only in market. These feeds are NOT on NHL.tv. If you are out of market, you MUST watch games on one of the NBC Networks (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA - or whatever network they put it on (maybe msnbc, too?) for every game. The benefit of NHL.tv isn't there for the playoffs. If you are a cord-cutter, you are hosed because you need a subscription to the payTV networks.

Awesome - thanks guys. I figured Gamecenter would probably be my best bet.

I would buy NHL.tv / Gamecenter over NHL Center Ice from your cable company. Stream NHL.tv on your TV via a Roku. I used this method two seasons ago.

It's a good service, worth the price aside from some dumb rules they have.

Rules are quite simple, actually.

If you are out-of-market, a Rangers game will NOT be available on NHL.tv if:
1. It is being shown on NBC.
2. It is being shown on NBCSN.
3. It is being shown on NHL Network.

Again, if you are a cord-cutter, you cannot get those Nationally Televised games with NHL.tv - you need a subscription for NBCSN and the NHL Network. The games that are on NBCSN and NHL Network might also be on MSG for those who are in-market, but out-of-market fans MUST watch on NBCSN or NHL Network.

SlingTV offers YES, but you need to be in the NY Market to get it. I am hoping that SNY gets added soon, because it is part of the NBC Sports / Comcast family, and other Comcast Sports Networks are available on the Sling Blue package. Sling Blue + the sports add-on will get you NHL Network, NBCSN, and USA, but you won't get CNBC (for those odd playoff games).

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Keep an eye on fubo.tv. It has been advertised on WFAN as a monthly subscription geared towards sports, I only saw it once the playoffs started and of course by that point the games were all nationally televised so they were all available on fubo.tv. It is $35/mo. I doubt msg network will appear on it next season, but who knows.

I keep hoping MSG introduces their own stand alone service soon, they moved a step closer last season with showing rangers game on their msg go app, but you still need a subscription to cable or satellite to use it.

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com

Thanks!

I recently moved to Greenville and Charter cable has the Center ice option for regular season. Playoffs are free with bundled package regardless of having center ice package.

or you can go internet route.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I have the DirecTV Hockey package. Also DirecTV Platinum (or whatever is their best package of networks). It is a bit pricey (my average bill is about $275, but I have all the movie channels and 7 HD TV's, so most should be much lower). In any case, I have every single hockey game there is, living in "the boonies" in Kingman, Arizona. The reception is fabulous.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Keep an eye on fubo.tv. It has been advertised on WFAN as a monthly subscription geared towards sports, I only saw it once the playoffs started and of course by that point the games were all nationally televised so they were all available on fubo.tv. It is $35/mo. I doubt msg network will appear on it next season, but who knows.

I keep hoping MSG introduces their own stand alone service soon, they moved a step closer last season with showing rangers game on their msg go app, but you still need a subscription to cable or satellite to use it.

I'd be wary of fubo.tv showing out-of-market games, even though they advertise RSN's like YES. DirecTV used to have a package of all these RSN's, and people were jumping up and down like, "I can watch all these games!!" but were disappointed when the games were on because they were blacked out. You needed the out-of-market package (MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass) in order to receive the actual game. You could watch pre and post-game coverage, but not the live game.

I read that the NBA is now offering out-of-market games (that are not aired nationally - i.e. - TNT, ESPN) on a PPV basis at $6.99 per game.)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There are essentially two possibilities for getting every game.

1. Cable/satellite package that includes Center Ice and NBCSN.

2. Streaming services NHL.tv and SlingTV (they have an option with NBCSN).

Given that you still pay for internet in the 2nd option, I haven't found that the streaming packages are cheaper in any way. If the ability to DVR is important id go with cable. If the ability to watch anywhere is important, id go with streaming.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

the only rsn fubo has is YES. What all these alternatives to cable like sling and fubo do not get is that they are useless to sports fans without RSN's.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
There are essentially two possibilities for getting every game.

1. Cable/satellite package that includes Center Ice and NBCSN.

2. Streaming services NHL.tv and SlingTV (they have an option with NBCSN).

Given that you still pay for internet in the 2nd option, I haven't found that the streaming packages are cheaper in any way. If the ability to DVR is important id go with cable. If the ability to watch anywhere is important, id go with streaming.

You also need a subscription to the NHL Network. SlingTV Blue + the Sports add-on, along with NHL.tv, will get you every Rangers game EXCEPT those on Free OTA TV (i.e. - Sunday afternoon NBC games). For those, you'll need an antenna and a TV....

And with NHL.tv, you can re-watch games that have passed the "archive" window. (At least you could with Gamecenter. I don't remember if that carried over after the tech upgrade.)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
DirecTV NHL Center Ice package is your best option. Perhaps not your cheapest option, but definitely the best.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You also need a subscription to the NHL Network. SlingTV Blue + the Sports add-on, along with NHL.tv, will get you every Rangers game EXCEPT those on Free OTA TV (i.e. - Sunday afternoon NBC games). For those, you'll need an antenna and a TV....

And with NHL.tv, you can re-watch games that have passed the "archive" window. (At least you could with Gamecenter. I don't remember if that carried over after the tech upgrade.)

It did, but from experience, DVR is still better.

I meant to edit in NHLN.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
As a relocated NY dude to Florida, I've tried everything.

Comcast w/Center Ice - dog crap because very limited HD feeds
NHL GameCenter (nhl.tv) - probably the 2nd best option, but there's notable lag so if you want to post/interact here and watch with this, you're always behind and reading posts about what has yet to happen
Direct TV w/Center Ice - best option - pretty much all games in HD, obviously all NBC playoff games, etc...

All of the illegal options suffer either from lower quality or lag.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
if you watch on the NHL app, there's definitely less of a lag. It's within 5 seconds and basically spoiler free. watching it on the computer though, there's up to a 20-30 second lag.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
if you watch on the NHL app, there's definitely less of a lag. It's within 5 seconds and basically spoiler free. watching it on the computer though, there's up to a 20-30 second lag.

This is also true of the Roku app. Although I have found that the connection is more consistent if you delay 20-30 seconds yourself.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Such a pain in the ass being tied to MSG. I'm looking at this $35 a month YouTube TV thing and I'd make the switch in a heartbeat if they carried MSG.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Your best option is DirecTV with CenterIce.

This way, you get the games via MSG, as opposed to cable with one channel for the game and most of the time it's not MSG.

Problem with Raleigh is when the Rangers play the Hurricanes, you will be stuck with the Hurricanes broadcast.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Your best option is DirecTV with CenterIce.

This way, you get the games via MSG, as opposed to cable with one channel for the game and most of the time it's not MSG.

Problem with Raleigh is when the Rangers play the Hurricanes, you will be stuck with the Hurricanes broadcast.

You will only get MSG feeds when the game is NOT on National Television (NBCSN, NHL Network). Even though the majority of the games on NBCSN and NHL Network are not EXCLUSIVE National games, you won't be able to watch on MSG if there is ANY National feed of the game.

And as pointed above, you will need to watch the Home Team Feed if the Rangers are playing the 'Canes on the road.

One of the issues brought up in the lawsuit against the NHL regarding its out-of-town package, was that it is not equal among all teams. The issue raised was that you paid the same price, yet if you were a fan of a team that gets a lot of national exposure (i.e. - Blackhawks, Penguins, Rangers, etc.), you get fewer games in your out-of-town package than a team with a lesser following (i.e. - Panthers, Jets, Flames, etc.).

When the schedule is released, and they announce the National TV schedule (for NBCSN and NHL Network), you will be able to see how many Rangers games you won't see with Center Ice. The Rangers are good for 12-20 "National" games you won't be able to see on NHL.tv or GameCenter.

Last edited:

richter4ever

Jul 7, 2014
New Hartford N.Y.
How's this for being royally screwed by the NHL. I live in upstate New York about 250 miles from MSG and about 300 miles from Buffalo. Since I am considered "in market" for the Rangers I can't get them on Center Ice or Gamecenter. And when the Sabres are playing I can't even get the Rangers on MSG. I guess the NHL expects me to drive 500 miles each time there is a Ranger game. There have been times when the Sabres are on MSG and the islanders are playing the Devils on MSG+. So every tam is shown on the Madison Square Garden network except the team that actually plays at Madison Square Garden!! Talk about frustrating. My only option are illegal streams which the NHL tries to take down every chance they get. For a league thats trying to get a bigger fan base, it seems they do everything they can to screw the fans!!

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
How's this for being royally screwed by the NHL. I live in upstate New York about 250 miles from MSG and about 300 miles from Buffalo. Since I am considered "in market" for the Rangers I can't get them on Center Ice or Gamecenter. And when the Sabres are playing I can't even get the Rangers on MSG. I guess the NHL expects me to drive 500 miles each time there is a Ranger game. There have been times when the Sabres are on MSG and the islanders are playing the Devils on MSG+. So every tam is shown on the Madison Square Garden network except the team that actually plays at Madison Square Garden!! Talk about frustrating. My only option are illegal streams which the NHL tries to take down every chance they get. For a league thats trying to get a bigger fan base, it seems they do everything they can to screw the fans!!

This happens in Pennsylvania with the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins. If a team claims you are in their market, then yes - you cannot watch the game on Center Ice / NHL.tv. You MUST watch the game on the RSN for your team. Your recourse is to pester the cable company to add the multi-channel feeds of the RSN in question.

Gary Bettman was on WFAN some years ago, just when NBCSN was being born out of VS. A caller from Wayne County PA was complaining that he couldn't get the Rangers on Center Ice, because he was considered "in-market" for the Rangers. Yet, his cable company refuses to carry MSG. Bettman told the caller that he needs to take the issue to the cable company...

Now the cable company is not going to want to pay a per-subscriber fee (for all the subscribers on the system) for the few numbers of customers who want Rangers games in Wayne County, so they decline to carry the network. You are probably in the same boat.

What RSN's can you get with DirecTV?

(BTW, I think you can get free NHL Audio with an NHL.com account... - So you can listen to Kenny and Dave on the radio...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad