Watching the Blues in STL

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Hello Blues fans! I am a life long Sharks fan (well at least from the point they existed), but a few years ago I moved from California to STL. Though I am a Sharks fan, I still like the Blues. I go to games occasionally, I have blues hats and shirts (not splurging on a jersey) and enjoy talking about the Blues when the opportunity arises. Basically I just love hockey, and if people around here like the Blues, then I am plenty excited to talk Blues.

Anyway, since I no longer live near my favorite team I haven't made an effort to go out and find places to watch hockey and talk about the games. I want to change that. I am tired of always just watching games at home by myself talking on HF.

So for those of you who live in the STL area, where are good places to go to watch the Blues with other Blues fans?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I don't go often and it's not plugged with psyched-up fans like a sports bar might be, but I've enjoyed watching games at the Schlafly Bottleworks. Depends on what kind of atmosphere you want, but a place like that is more my style.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Hello Blues fans! I am a life long Sharks fan (well at least from the point they existed), but a few years ago I moved from California to STL. Though I am a Sharks fan, I still like the Blues. I go to games occasionally, I have blues hats and shirts (not splurging on a jersey) and enjoy talking about the Blues when the opportunity arises. Basically I just love hockey, and if people around here like the Blues, then I am plenty excited to talk Blues.

Anyway, since I no longer live near my favorite team I haven't made an effort to go out and find places to watch hockey and talk about the games. I want to change that. I am tired of always just watching games at home by myself talking on HF.

So for those of you who live in the STL area, where are good places to go to watch the Blues with other Blues fans?

I would assume telling a little bit about your preferred destination and ambiance will help.

I.e. Do you live in south city or Chesterfield? Is downtown too far of a trek? Are you looking for a wild crowd or something more laid back? Etc.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I would assume telling a little bit about your preferred destination and ambiance will help.

I.e. Do you live in south city or Chesterfield? Is downtown too far of a trek? Are you looking for a wild crowd or something more laid back? Etc.

I live out near Six Flags, but I am all over the STL area for other things already so I am not at all opposed to putting in a decent drive to get wherever a good place is.

If there are several options and I have much of a choice for ambiance I suppose my ideal situation would be one where the game is the focus of the room. I had been once to a sports bar nearby where the game was on, but there was so much activity and music that very few people were paying any attention at all. Just want to watch the game, with other people who want to watch the game, have a few beers and be able to chat with other folks there about hockey. So I suppose a more laid back atmosphere, or at least an atmosphere where if things are loud and active its because of whats happening on the screen.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I don't live in STL any longer but I always enjoyed going to Friendly's on Rogers near Tower Grove Park.

I know the owner is big Blues fan and they have lots of televisions with the sound on.

That is quite a trek though. Not sure what is around Eureka or the 270/44 corridor.

Last edited:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I don't live in STL any longer but I always enjoyed going to Friendlies on Rogers near Tower Grove Park.

I know the owner is big Blues fan and they have lots of televisions with the sound on.

That is quite a trek though. Not sure what is around Eureka or the 270/44 corridor.

Just checked out Friendlies online, looks like a good place I will likely try.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I spent my 21st birthday a couple years ago at Bobby Plager's bar. Great atmosphere for a game.

Friendly's is another good one. The obvious answer is BPV too.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I can vouch for friendlies. Good place if you like southside dive bars.

I miss that neighborhood..not so sure I would move back to the city when I come back though.

Another obvious choice is OB Clarke's in Brentwood.

Not sure if Weber's Front Row in Webster is still open..or the Post in Maplehood. Both excellent (at least used to be) choices.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I miss that neighborhood..not so sure I would move back to the city when I come back though.

Another obvious choice is OB Clarke's in Brentwood.

Not sure if Weber's Front Row in Webster is still open..or the Post in Maplehood. Both excellent (at least used to be) choices.

Went to OB Clark's once. The place was packed, they were majorly understaffed, and it took forever. The server brought my friend his pizza, he started eating it without realizing it was slightly different from his order. Turns out it was for another table and when the other table alerted the server to her mistake, she was upset with my friend about it.
When I paid, she asked if I wanted change - of course I wanted change. The amount of money I was due was well over even a generous tip. She borderline pitched a fit about how long it was going to take her to get change for me.

It could have been a freak bad experience and it might be awesome most of the time, but nothing else about the place was good enough for me ever to go back and bother finding out.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Last I checked Bobby's Place moved downtown on Wash Ave.

The one right off 141 is still there as well. In the same vein as Friendly's, Nick's pub on Manchester in south city is another option. However, it is smokey and on Thursday's they have a great special so a bunch of us college kids start flocking there around 10.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
The one right off 141 is still there as well. In the same vein as Friendly's, Nick's pub on Manchester in south city is another option. However, it is smokey and on Thursday's they have a great special so a bunch of us college kids start flocking there around 10.

Great news. Didn't realize they had one on 141.

Yeah, Nick's Pub used to be that bar I went to when I was in my early 20's. Way too old for that place and all the loudness that comes with it.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The Post has a very strong beer list. There is one in Maplewood and one on Olive and 270. I went to OB Clark's a couple times. I didn't like it all that much personally.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
There are 3 Bobby's. One off Wash Ave downtown, one on Main Street St. Charles, and the Valley Park one which is probably the best Bobbys too. Bobby is usually at VP. Nick's pub in Dogtown is just awesome. 101 beers on tap and on thursday nights it is 1 dollar wells and 1 or 2 dollar beers. Never been to OB Clarks

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I love Nick's. It's probably got more to do with their outrageously cheap beer than anything else though.

Nick's Pub is fantastic, they have awesome specials every night of the week and a great selection of beers, too. They used to have an RBI Baseball arcade machine upstairs, but it was out of order the last time I was there.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Yea Nicks is solid, super cheap and always has the game on, also a goal horn when the Blues score, SOHA has one of those too. The Post is pretty solid too but a little more expensive, but they have center ice too and will put on any game you want to watch.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Really appreciate the suggestions guys. I have looked up all these places that have been suggested here and I will definitely be out there trying them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad