Watching SHL from abroad?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to view SHL games online from abroad? Of course, I'm asking for paid services that are completely legal to use. One or two years ago, I remember watching a game of Lulea on CMore. The problem is the stream was extremely expensive - I paid something around 10EUR for a single game. Moreover, CMore wouldn't accept my credit card, citing that they only work with Swedish banks, therefore forcing me to use a card issued in Sweden whenever I wanted to buy a game.

Have things changed? Is there any easier and hopefully cheaper way? What about seasonal packages? I can't see anything now since the season is over but maybe you guys know about broadcasting rights, streaming agreements etc. and so can tell me where streams would be next season, if there will be any.

For example, all-season long NHL pack was 140 USD for 2016-17 season. It's great hockey but because of the time zone differences and the fact that I'm not an owl, I find it extremely difficult to keep up with NHL. My favorite hockey has been KHL for a long time but it also started looking very one-sided in recent years. So I thought maybe I could try SHL. Is it possible for a price less than 200EUR a year?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
This is a very good question. I would like to know the answer to this as well. I love watching SHL but the quality of the streams is really sub standard compared to what I am used to.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Here's a british site that shows a couple of games per week with english commentary. http://www.premiersports.com/ice-hockey/shl/

Thank you, that sounds fantastic. I'll give this one a try. However, I'd be interested to know if there are any other and possibly local options. My favorite team in SHL is Luleaa but in general I like the league itself, so being able to watch more than two games a week would be nice. While my priority is Luleaa, it's always better to get to know more teams and see how they play.

Currently, I live in Turkey but soon will most likely move to Germany; so any option that works in Germany (like a TV channel, maybe?) is also OK for me. Though I don't have high hopes. People say that watching SHL freely is difficult even in Sweden for Swedish people. I guess it has to do with "This is just our league, why would other people care about it? Even if they did, there is no point in working to provide a better experience for a bunch of foreigners!" mentality, which is spearheaded by NLA. :laugh:

EDIT: Ooops, I contacted Premier Sports and they told me their content is available only in the UK.

Last edited:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Fanseat is streaming basically every broadcasted games in Europe, SHL as well, unfortunately it is paying site... I watch the highlights on SHL.se

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to view SHL games online from abroad? Of course, I'm asking for paid services that are completely legal to use. One or two years ago, I remember watching a game of Lulea on CMore. The problem is the stream was extremely expensive - I paid something around 10EUR for a single game. Moreover, CMore wouldn't accept my credit card, citing that they only work with Swedish banks, therefore forcing me to use a card issued in Sweden whenever I wanted to buy a game.

So I thought maybe I could try SHL. Is it possible for a price less than 200EUR a year?

Long answer short? No. At that price point, LIIGA is there at €14.99/month via RUUTU app. I'll post about that in the Finland forum.

What follows is a long winded primer on CMORE

CMORE's basic sport package is €20/month, only gets you select SHL/Allsvenskan games. If you go premium, you get every game of both leagues, plus the previous round to watch. Plus all their other sports and channels. It has a website you can stream from along with apps for iPhone, iPad, AppleTV and android(though geofenced and more hassle than it's worth to get as you'll need a Swedish phone number.)

So how do you get the apps?
1:Use google maps to find a hotel in Sweden: copy down the address & phone number.
2:Inside your iOS device: go to settings/apple ID. 3:Click on iTunes&Apple Store/Apple ID provide password
4:Click on country/region
5:Select change country(which will break subscriptions, but you can change back)
Select Sweden
6: WARNING: Do not enter CC/PayPal info, go no info.
7:Enter hotel address & phone in appropriate spots
8: Go to Swedish App Store, search for C MORE and download app.
9: Restore App Store to your original country.

10: Go to CMORE.se to register

If you pay for the year up front it's €35/month, month by month it's €46.

The SHL/Allsvenskan games stream anywhere in the world on up to two devices. However, sports like NBA and the terrestrial channels are geofenced, so you'll need a VPN to watch those.

Yes, you need a Swedish credit card, but there are things afoot.

1st, you can buy a reloadable MasterCard called paygoo in Sweden from select Pressbÿrans(1 in central rail hall) and load it up to 8000kr in a month, which would keep you subscribed for a few years(basically until the card would expire anyway.) If you know anybody going to Sweden and you trust them with €850, you can do it that way. If you go this route and know anybody in Sweden, you could take a photo of the bar code, text it to them, then they can reload your card when handy.

The other is that Apple Pay has been introduced in Sweden and adoption has been moving very quickly. If CMORE adapts it, Apple Pay will remove the Swedish banking barrier to access. Then you could just login via your iPhone, subscribe via Apple Pay and then login in on your other devices.

Reactions: hansomreiste

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Looks like CMORE has started instituting geofencing around SHL product, can’t even register or sign in to website without VPN.

If people want to give you money to watch your games, why are you making it hard?

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Looks like CMORE has started instituting geofencing around SHL product, can’t even register or sign in to website without VPN.

If people want to give you money to watch your games, why are you making it hard?
They probably don't have the right to broadcast it abroad, only in Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad