Watching Oilers games in BC

Oct 15, 2008
I had CI for years and never had any problems, but I also subscribed to all the extra sports channels so nothing was ever blacked out. I no longer have cable so I watch all my hockey on GameCentre and as I mentioned, the only Oiler games I don’t get are regional games vs Vancouver. So maybe 1 or 2 a year.

Some of the features I like about GC is that you can watch either team’s TV broadcast, past games are always available to watch (going back to the 16-17 season I believe), and there is some NHL Network content available. Also the picture is very crisp and smooth.

If you miss the start of the game, can you watch from the beginning if the game is already in progress or do you have to watch ‘live’ or wait until after the game is over and the game is ‘archived’ to watch it in its entirety from the beginning?

Can you pause live games?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
If you miss the start of the game, can you watch from the beginning if the game is already in progress or do you have to watch ‘live’ or wait until after the game is over and the game is ‘archived’ to watch it in its entirety from the beginning?

Can you pause live games?
So, if you are watching on a PS4 (and I assume it’s the same with Xbox One), you have the option of watching live or starting the game from the beginning. You can pause the game, fast forward (which is convenient for commercial breaks), rewind, and they bookmark the start of each period so once one period ends you can skip right to the start of the next period. Sometimes I start games an hour late so I can skip commercials and intermissions.

When you use the NHL app and Google Chromecast it’s not as good. While you do have the option of watching from the beginning, it’s hidden in a separate page that shows game highlights and other info. So you basically have to know where to look and not look so nothing is spoiled. Not a very good set-up. It’s also much harder to skip using the app/Chromecast (its not a button, you have to slide your finger), but you can pause. Usually I watch on my PS4 because using the app/Chromecast can be pretty frustrating.

I should also point out that there are several games where you can watch multiple camera angles (behind the net, directly above the net, etc) with no commentary. Somewhat gimmicky but at least you have the option.

Oct 15, 2008
So, if you are watching on a PS4 (and I assume it’s the same with Xbox One), you have the option of watching live or starting the game from the beginning. You can pause the game, fast forward (which is convenient for commercial breaks), rewind, and they bookmark the start of each period so once one period ends you can skip right to the start of the next period. Sometimes I start games an hour late so I can skip commercials and intermissions.

When you use the NHL app and Google Chromecast it’s not as good. While you do have the option of watching from the beginning, it’s hidden in a separate page that shows game highlights and other info. So you basically have to know where to look and not look so nothing is spoiled. Not a very good set-up. It’s also much harder to skip using the app/Chromecast (its not a button, you have to slide your finger), but you can pause. Usually I watch on my PS4 because using the app/Chromecast can be pretty frustrating.

I should also point out that there are several games where you can watch multiple camera angles (behind the net, directly above the net, etc) with no commentary. Somewhat gimmicky but at least you have the option.
Thanks. I think Gamecenter is likely a much better option than CI.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So I was going to try Sportsnet now because Rogers considers me in the Oilers broadcast region, and blacks out half the games when I use NHL TV, despite me being in BC. I borrowed a buddies log in to try last night, before paying for a second service, and it says I’m out of their region on Sportsnet now... so I’m apparently blacked out of their games regardless of whether I use the local market service or out of market service. And Rogers doesn’t know why, and can’t help me. I officially hate Rogers something fierce...

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
I’ve used gamecenter/nhl tv for the last like 5+ years since we cut cable, and it used to get us all the games, but last year, despite claiming BC got all 82 Oiler games, almost half were blacked out. Sportsnet now claims to air all 82 as well, so I’m going to see how that goes this year

Reminder to everyone: Please don’t post mentioning anything illegal. It just means someone has to delete it
Well considering the game last night was blacked out I'd say it's safe to assume Rogers is bullshitting everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->