Watching Hockey Smarter

nhllondon

Sep 6, 2014
It's probably a dumb question ,but how do you constantly keep track of the skaters on the ice for both teams when watching on TV, players change on the fly roughly every 40 seconds. ... I would like to follow line combinations/matchups/mismatches like in basketball, but the game is too fast!

Anyone got any tips for a newbie?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In general, all I can say is just watch and hope to have high-quality feeds/tv. Also, learn the numbers.

In a more advanced way. Learn how the home-team coaches tries to utilize his match-ups. For example, with the Leafs, I know Babcock is trying to match Kadri up against the line he deems most dangerous, and will try to put Matthews in situations he can exploit. On the road, most teams will try to focus on putting their top line or shutdown line against Matthews consistently. For example, vs LA they try to get Kopitar out against him and vs Anaheim they try to put him against Kesler.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I like to focus almost entirely on dmen at times to see how they are at reacting to the play as it builds, how pro-active or how aggressive they are, etc.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
In general, all I can say is just watch and hope to have high-quality feeds/tv. Also, learn the numbers.

In a more advanced way. Learn how the home-team coaches tries to utilize his match-ups. For example, with the Leafs, I know Babcock is trying to match Kadri up against the line he deems most dangerous, and will try to put Matthews in situations he can exploit. On the road, most teams will try to focus on putting their top line or shutdown line against Matthews consistently. For example, vs LA they try to get Kopitar out against him and vs Anaheim they try to put him against Kesler.
In general, it's very common that #2 home plays against #1 away, and #1 home plays against #2 away, if we grade the forward lines by their scoring power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->