Watching Habs games - alone or with friends/in a group?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't know if you guys are down, but I think we should get an HF meet-up going for at least one playoff game this year. Will Whiskey succumb to alcohol poisoning while cursing Stubbsy and Gionta with the his dying breath? Will overloards' dry, German sense of humour translate in real life? We'll see.

I'm the Admin of a film review site. Most of the writers are in New York and after posting back and forth for years, we did a meetup in Manhattan. It was actually a blast. After you get past the initial awkwardness you discover the real-life personalities match the online writing styles pretty closely.

I'd think meeting for a playoff game would be easy for many of us and a lot of fun. But good luck having to introduce yourself: "Hi, I'm... um... SB164. No, not 'Estee'... 'S' 'B', the letters, and 164. Yeah, you know, it's like I took my initials but there were 163 other guys with the same ones, so... Hey, where'd he go?"

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I like to watch games with friends but most of the time I prefer alone. I got some friends that spend most of the game talking so I can't concentrate on the game and can't appreciate all the little plays you don't see when you don't pay close attention...

+ some of my friends are kinda bipolar and too much on the down side after a loss... :P

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I don't know if you guys are down, but I think we should get an HF meet-up going for at least one playoff game this year. Will Whiskey succumb to alcohol poisoning while cursing Stubbsy and Gionta with the his dying breath? Will overloards' dry, German sense of humour translate in real life? We'll see.

What would be interesting is if we met-up , and were not allowed to tell people our real hf handles.

We would then write down who we think is each poster, and the person with the most right answers gets a free lap dance from one of the girl/guy posters of their choice.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
i watch hockey with my best friend who just so happens to be my wife. i grew up as a HABSFAN here in jersey and 15 years ago she dated then married into the craziness. My ex never got into hockey and her ex was a ny jets fan--[enough said there.. all hype no glory..sounds like a leafs fan too]

the funny thing is with my wife i can tell how nervous she is by where shes at in the house--bruins habs.. shes in laundry room re-doing all the clean laundry.. playoffs shes somewhere in house listening to me yelling or cheering and comes in when we score. when we were at devils habs she bruised my arm by squeezing it at end of game when devils were pushing.

HabsUK

Jun 19, 2012
Alone, in the dark, often whilst thinking I have to be up for work in 3/4 hours time.

You guys in NA make me jealous.

Kurplunk

Nov 30, 2010
Edmonton
When CBC decides to air the Habs game over the Leafs game I'll usually watch it with family,
Or when TSN decides to air the Habs game instead of a ****** game between two non-playoff teams I'll watch it with the family,
But I like to be alone, it's hard to find many Habs fans out west so people just chat throughout the game and it's hard to concentrate, rofl

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Alone, in the dark, often whilst thinking I have to be up for work in 3/4 hours time.

haha, I just got back from the UK not to long ago and staying to watch the games was a tad rough.

Although I was on vacation so it wasn't like I needed to get up in the am.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I'm definitely down. A lot of people online assume another personality and then get all weird when they have to interact off of that forum. I'm the same guy everywhere so I really don't care. I was going to ask in the lounge thread if anyone wanted a beer when I get back to Montreal actually.

I'm the Admin of a film review site. Most of the writers are in New York and after posting back and forth for years, we did a meetup in Manhattan. It was actually a blast. After you get past the initial awkwardness you discover the real-life personalities match the online writing styles pretty closely.

I'd think meeting for a playoff game would be easy for many of us and a lot of fun. But good luck having to introduce yourself: "Hi, I'm... um... SB164. No, not 'Estee'... 'S' 'B', the letters, and 164. Yeah, you know, it's like I took my initials but there were 163 other guys with the same ones, so... Hey, where'd he go?"

Which film review site? And I totally agree, we'd all have a common interest and lots to talk about. Also beer.

What would be interesting is if we met-up , and were not allowed to tell people our real hf handles.

We would then write down who we think is each poster, and the person with the most right answers gets a free lap dance from one of the girl/guy posters of their choice.

You lost me somewhere in that post.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Sounds like a great time! :laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I'm jealous you can use the word, "whilst", in a sentence without anyone laughing at you.

Seriously, I remember the UK experience. I was in London one year ago and was streaming away what should have been a good night's sleep.

HabsUK

Jun 19, 2012
Seriously, I remember the UK experience. I was in London one year ago and was streaming away what should have been a good night's sleep.

You get used to it, sometimes there games on in the evening at weekends which is a god send but then NA complains about 1pm start times :cry:

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
If the kids ar at my place I watch with them if they aren't I go out or have family over or watch by myself makes no matter to me as long as they are on TV I am watching them.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Always alone. My friends could care less about hockey. My wife likes hockey live at an arena but does not like it on TV. My son is not into hockey either.

Well, not really alone. My dog usually curls up in my lap during the games.:)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm jealous you can use the word, "whilst", in a sentence without anyone laughing at you.

You get used to it, sometimes there games on in the evening at weekends which is a god send but then NA complains about 1pm start times :cry:

I do this every game man, I live in GMT+3 at the moment. :cry:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

I'm definitely down. A lot of people online assume another personality and then get all weird when they have to interact off of that forum. I'm the same guy everywhere so I really don't care. I was going to ask in the lounge thread if anyone wanted a beer when I get back to Montreal actually.

Awesome possum. Does anyone wanna start a thread to find out who'd be interested in a meet up? We'll figure out a date once the playoff schedule is up.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
A good mix.

More often than not it's just me, and sometimes my girlfriend who pretends to care. I'd say I watch most Saturday games with people, though. Whether I go to my parents' place, out with friends or have people over at my place.

Jacques Trap*

Preferably alone or with people who talk only when neccesary

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
I watch the games alone.
Wife gets annoyed when I watch the games.
Sometimes my daughter (2 years old) watches with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->