Watching 1980 Game 6 on NHL Network

scott99

May 13, 2005
Was gonna post this. Was fun watching that again. Heads up to everyone, if you're a hockey fanatic like me, you can catch some preseason hockey Sunday at 5. The 1st of 22 preseason games the NHL Network is showing.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
There is almost not a day that goes by where Ed Snider, Flyers owner, does not spit and ***** about :the offsides" non-call (it was about 2 feet off-sides) and the Potvin goal being hit in with a high stick.
34 years later and still crying as if that was the deciding goal for the Cup. The hockey Gods have gotten their payback from this scum organizations history of distorted gooning it up.
They had it tied up and went to OT. They never lead this game so they should just stop crying. Sick of hearing it (I live just outside Philly).

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Can't believe it's 34 years ago, watching it live on TV and seeing Bobby Nye put that backhand into the net, unless you saw it or were at the game...to see the Islanders from their very beginnings to that moment, unbelievable.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Can't believe it's 34 years ago, watching it live on TV and seeing Bobby Nye put that backhand into the net, unless you saw it or were at the game...to see the Islanders from their very beginnings to that moment, unbelievable.

Rex, I'll never forget that day for as long as I live. My family and I were up at the Concord Hotel up in the Catskills with some family friends for the Memorial Day weekend. I was 17 and a senior in High School. We were out doing vacation stuff, but I went back to the hotel room to watch the game by myself. Though I had gotten my Dad into the Islanders, and some of the family friends were Islander's fans, they wanted to do vacation stuff, so I went back to the room by myself. By the 2nd period, the room was full with my Dad and other Islander's fans from our group in the room. I remember all the yelling and screaming, the excitement when the Isles were up 4-2 going into the 3rd, the dread after Philly tied it and the Isles had to go into OT. When Nystrom scored that goal, all the yelling before the goal, I remember some of us yelling, "go, go, go" when it was the 2 on 1 with Tonelli and Nystrom, so when Nystrom scored, it was a moment of dead silence, maybe a second, maybe a tenth of a second, but there was this loud explosion of a scream after we all looked at each other and realized what just happened. Then there was yelling and screaming and hugging. My Dad's friend grabbed the lamp, and started running up and down the hallway like he was skating with the Cup.

Now at 51, 34 years later, it was still one of the most wonderful moments of my life. The year prior when we choked against the Rangers in the Semis, I remember how horrible I felt walking the school hallways being taunted by the Ranger's fans. A year later, I walked those hallways with the biggest smile on my face, some Ranger's fans actually came up to congratulate me. It was a wonderful feeling, that amazingly stayed with me for 4 straight Cups. When you are passionate about a team, in any sport, it's such an amazing feeling when they win it all. I hope in my lifetime I get to give you all a virtual high five if the Isles could ever give us fans another Cup.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Scott, a couple of things that haven't changed, live in the same house (had not build the dungeon in the basement yet), teach in the same high school. My mom and I switched from being Montreal and Toronto fans when the Islanders were born. Think we may have gotten a little over confident after two periods, with a two goal lead, we could taste the cup. Very nervous going into to OT, when Nystrom scored, just incredible to see a team start from scratch to win the cup. My friends and I went out for pizza (nothing new) and drinks, let's say we over celebrated a little. Watching the replay is nice, to see it happen in the moment-you know.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I was there. 10 rows up, center ice.

One of the best days of my life. It was an afternoon game. Afterwards, my buddies and I all went to bar beach and had a impromptu party. In those days, there were still a lot of Ranger game living on long island, and it was sweet trading them in school the next Monday.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I was there. 10 rows up, center ice.

One of the best days of my life. It was an afternoon game. Afterwards, my buddies and I all went to bar beach and had a impromptu party. In those days, there were still a lot of Ranger game living on long island, and it was sweet trading them in school the next Monday.

Must have been incredible to be there that afternoon Darth. Yes, the best was sticking it to the Rag$ fans. Was still so excited on Monday, forget about teaching classes, got some snacks and soda and let the classes have a party.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, a couple of things that haven't changed, live in the same house (had not build the dungeon in the basement yet), teach in the same high school. My mom and I switched from being Montreal and Toronto fans when the Islanders were born. Think we may have gotten a little over confident after two periods, with a two goal lead, we could taste the cup. Very nervous going into to OT, when Nystrom scored, just incredible to see a team start from scratch to win the cup. My friends and I went out for pizza (nothing new) and drinks, let's say we over celebrated a little. Watching the replay is nice, to see it happen in the moment-you know.

Hey, your Pizza and Islander passion still live on, Bravo Rex ! Trying out Patsy's Pizza in Whitestone soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad