OT: Watcha reading?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Im a huge fan of the Dresden Files (pretty much all Butcher), Dark Tower, Enders Game series, Name of the Wind, ASOIAF, The Magicians, etc.

Been considering starting a Gaiman or Pratchett series... What do you recommend?

I LOVED that book and A Wise Man's Fear. If you are looking for suggestions, check out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books and his recently started series which starts with The Way of Kings. They are excellent.

Reactions: Identity404

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Im a huge fan of the Dresden Files (pretty much all Butcher), Dark Tower, Enders Game series, Name of the Wind, ASOIAF, The Magicians, etc.

Been considering starting a Gaiman or Pratchett series... What do you recommend?

Gaiman's novels are mostly independent, although American Gods and Anansi Boys are set in the same universe.

American Gods is a beast of a book. My kindle says the average reader takes over 13 hours to read it. I'd recommend either Neverwhere or Stardust to see if you like his style. I prefer Neverwhere but both are great.

Prachett is all about Discworld. Like Lempo said you can't go wrong with chronological order. Some people don't like the first few books as much as the later ones, but from what I've read they're just fine.

Here's a handy guide for the different 'series' in Discworld. I'd read The Colour of Magic first, then do a quick look at the basic plots of the other starter novels and see what appeals to you, although my personal favorite is Mort. Death is probably the best character in the series.
The-Discworld-Reading-Order-Guide-2-0-terry-pratchett-38786765-1000-1198.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gaiman's novels are mostly independent, although American Gods and Anansi Boys are set in the same universe.

American Gods is a beast of a book. My kindle says the average reader takes over 13 hours to read it. I'd recommend either Neverwhere or Stardust to see if you like his style. I prefer Neverwhere but both are great.

Prachett is all about Discworld. Like Lempo said you can't go wrong with chronological order. Some people don't like the first few books as much as the later ones, but from what I've read they're just fine.

Here's a handy guide for the different 'series' in Discworld. I'd read The Colour of Magic first, then do a quick look at the basic plots of the other starter novels and see what appeals to you, although my personal favorite is Mort. Death is probably the best character in the series.
The-Discworld-Reading-Order-Guide-2-0-terry-pratchett-38786765-1000-1198.jpg

Appreciate the advice (from all)! I love a big series, looks fun.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Currently reading the 5th book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (Victory of Eagles)...I've been thoroughly enjoying all of them so far. Historical Fiction based during the Napoleonic Wars but with aerial Corps of Dragons! For a bit I was reading some of Clive Cussler's Issac Bell series (Chase, Wrecker, Spyware, Race)...need to pick up a few of his Dirk Pitt novels. Also wanting to try some Tom Clancy (especially after the discussions in here).

My biggest problem is I'm a fairly slow reader and basically only read for 30 min before bed, so an average book takes me about a month to get through

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I read The Final Call this weekend, Kerry Fraser's book. Mostly stuff I had heard before with a few interesting stories I hadn't heard mixed in, not particularly well written. Overall pretty meh, but some useful behind the scenes stuff from the ref's perspective, which we don't get very often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad