OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Palomine from the Dutch band Bettie Serveert is a classic indie pop album from right before the world zigged and went all-in on grungy Pearl Jam soundalikes when it should have zagged and went all-in on stuff like this.

I loved "Dust Bunnies." The first one here is one of my all-time favorite songs.

"It should have been me,
You should have believed in me,
It's all in the way you say
'This doesn't happen every day.'"

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I loved "Dust Bunnies." The first one here is one of my all-time favorite songs.

"It should have been me,
You should have believed in me,
It's all in the way you say
'This doesn't happen every day.'"

I'm gonna have to go back and check this one out. I think I still have Palomine on cassette and I might have had Lamprey on CD, but right around the time Dust Bunnies came out my life was falling apart due to a toxic relationship with a girl and I was almost exclusively listening to massive amounts of Sebadoh and Elliot Smith as a result. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm gonna have to go back and check this one out. I think I still have Palomine on cassette and I might have had Lamprey on CD, but right around the time Dust Bunnies came out my life was falling apart due to a toxic relationship with a girl and I was almost exclusively listening to massive amounts of Sebadoh and Elliot Smith as a result. :laugh:

Same, but a year earlier.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Same, but a year earlier.

Now that I think about it. 1997 was THE pivotal year of my life. It started off with me dating one girl to forget about the girl who was unobtainable. The girl I was dating could probably sense that and ended things, which I was honestly fine with, but that led to the unobtainable girl trying to cheer me up, us getting drunk, and stuff happening, which led to massive amounts of heartbreak as she was already dating two other people on the sly from each other - but I knew everything. It didn't help that she kept stringing me along. Then the situation exploded and by May unobtainable girl didn't want to have anything to do with me. Then the Flyers lose to the f***ing Red Wings, breaking my heart again. Then I rebound briefly with a childhood friend who kinda breaks my heart over the summer, come back to school in September, have a brief dalliance with the first girl just before almost literally walking into the love of my life and falling immediately head over heels.

Sorry for the wild tangent and oversharing, but as I said, I'm bored and overworked. A couple of Wrens songs can help tie all of this together and get me back on topic.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Been listening to a decent amount of them the last few weeks. Some really good songs. Like a mix of a lot of 1980s punk and some Hole... if Hole were a lot better and more consistent. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Another Friday where we cannot all go out and party...

One of the best bass-lines ever and lyrically awesome. Terry Hall's sardonic delivery of lyrics puts him up amongst my favourite "front men" ever.

The B-side to Ghost Town... and maybe an even better song. Damn what a 3rd album that would have been had they not broken up before it was released.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Another Friday where we cannot all go out and party...

One of the best bass-lines ever and lyrically awesome. Terry Hall's sardonic delivery of lyrics puts him up amongst my favourite "front men" ever.

The B-side to Ghost Town... and maybe an even better song. Damn what a 3rd album that would have been had they not broken up before it was released.

The Specials were a lot of fun.
Did you also go back to the beginning and listen to guys like Prince Buster and Laurel Aitken?

Reactions: Appleyard

mja

Jan 7, 2005

I dont particularly like Hole at all. Especially since she killed my favourite artist ever...

but this song is so freaking good. Thanks to Billy Corgan...

Live Through This is actually a pretty damn good album. No idea how much Kurt helped there (clearly he was a massive influence at the very least) but if memory serves - and it's been a while since I've given it a listen, probably at least 10 and probably more like 20 years - there's really not a weak track on it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Probably #1 on my list of "bands I have not seen live but I want to."

Also, little known fact:

Josh Homme was a California All-State Linebacker in his senior year of high school (I believe 3rd team OLB)... had multiple Div 1 football offers and turned them all down. Probably a good decision in hindsight haha. I guess people thought he was crazy at the time.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

Probably #1 on my list of "bands I have not seen live but I want to."

Also, little known fact:

Josh Homme was a California All-State Linebacker in his senior year of high school (I believe 3rd team OLB)... had multiple Div 1 football offers and turned them all down. Probably a good decision in hindsight haha. I guess people thought he was crazy at the time.

I've never seen them either but love pretty much everything Homme touches. QOTSA and Kyuss are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->