OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Same, I spun records (LOL) in college and when anyone called it was landmark, because pretty much no one ever did. Back then I thought it was because everyone was too stoned call, but now I know that no one was listening. Sobering.

There was a jazz show on my college station that was absolute fire. Impossible not to enjoy, just flat out great music the whole way through.

Reactions: JXC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Naked And Famous are low-key one of the most solid acts of the last decade. Not as reliably solid as CHVRCHES, but at their peak easily matched them. Also more traditional rock with beep-boop elements than straight up beep-boop music. They have a strong Fleetwood Mac element in terms of the relationship between the two primary songwriters being fraught with difficulty, and it's both cool and awkward that they'd flat out write songs at each other and collaborate. Though The Mess is a damned great break-up song resulting from it. Probably a major reason why the band fizzled and split. Not exactly a great environment. Plus, female singers rule and have overall been the strongest band fronts over men for a while now. The particular one is definitely up Tiger Pants' alley.

The "writing of songs at each other" examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790N1QrmoUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4p1JVwJoM8

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is this a synth-pop/new wave fan base? I was into TNAF a bit at the start, I think when I did year end lists they made it, but the local radio station (104.5) that thinks they play alternative music kind of ditched them (like they did Chvrches) and the indie side didn't really take so I didn't keep up as much with them.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Is this a synth-pop/new wave fan base? I was into TNAF a bit at the start, I think when I did year end lists they made it, but the local radio station (104.5) that thinks they play alternative music kind of ditched them (like they did Chvrches) and the indie side didn't really take so I didn't keep up as much with them.

They ended up having (I think) about 3.5 good albums until a couple members ditched and they devolved into covering their own songs acoustically. It's been a minute since I've listened to them on an album basis. A bunch of their songs live in my main playlist.

Your list probably would have been in 2008. We are old.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Naked And Famous are low-key one of the most solid acts of the last decade. Not as reliably solid as CHVRCHES, but at their peak easily matched them. Also more traditional rock with beep-boop elements than straight up beep-boop music. They have a strong Fleetwood Mac element in terms of the relationship between the two primary songwriters being fraught with difficulty, and it's both cool and awkward that they'd flat out write songs at each other and collaborate. Though The Mess is a damned great break-up song resulting from it. Probably a major reason why the band fizzled and split. Not exactly a great environment. Plus, female singers rule and have overall been the strongest band fronts over men for a while now. The particular one is definitely up Tiger Pants' alley.

The "writing of songs at each other" examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790N1QrmoUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4p1JVwJoM8

I just ordered the new Japanese Breakfast and Wolf Alice albums on vinyl and I will be getting the new CHVCHES too when it comes out in August. Females are running shit right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

104.5 f***ing suuuuuuuucks now. My god they still play Kings of Leon and Killers songs from 2007 inbetween Twenty One Pilots and Imagine Dragons.

88.5 WXPN is the only station that matters in the Greater Philadelphia area.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I just ordered the new Japanese Breakfast and Wolf Alice albums on vinyl and I will be getting the new CHVCHES too when it comes out in August. Females are running shit right now.

Someone promising who I haven't seen anything at all from after having a big single on a solid album is Elle King.

(That is not the single in question but I like it more anyway)

From back when banjo rock was weirdly a thing for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad