OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't even know how to listen to the radio anymore, especially since my license is expired and I can't drive.

You can listen to XPN on your phone, laptop, etc. at XPN.Org and I highly recommend it. Its member funded so no advertisements and they can play whatever the hell they want, most of it being awesome (like Japanese Breakfast).

Listen Live

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I will 2nd WXPN. I listen through their app, which is free to download. 4 to 7pm is prime time, especially on Fridays, when that time is Funky Fri.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i was listening to MMR again for a while..mostly just for one of the DJ's..Ray Koob...good guy..but radio is what is..same songs several times a day and never anything i really want to hear

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
That is why XPN is different. Mostly adult contemporary during the day, but they highlight new artists. There are a ton of artists I have first heard there. Mon to Thurs it is all 70s music.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
upload_2021-5-29_0-13-53.jpeg

Lately I’ve been obsessed with listening to the rat pack.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Speaking as an old college radio nerd, college radio is where it's at. In the Philly area, you have XPN as the polished professional outfit, but there's also the student-run WKDU (Drexel) and WPRB (Princeton). Temple's WRTI also does a nice job if you're into the Jazz & Classical scenes.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
WTSR 91.3 is a classic college radio station in trenton, Nj. Range isnt too far, but it plays the classic style of indie college radio. Folk guitar to punk.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Love these guys. They have a history of making silly skits / intros combined with intense music. They're metalhead goofballs and I love it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Speaking as an old college radio nerd, college radio is where it's at. In the Philly area, you have XPN as the polished professional outfit, but there's also the student-run WKDU (Drexel) and WPRB (Princeton). Temple's WRTI also does a nice job if you're into the Jazz & Classical scenes.

Ubuntu Linux has a built in radio streaming app that has a ton of college stations. I run a VM to play it

This is the dumbest and most convoluted way to do it but whatever

Reactions: mja

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Ubuntu Linux has a built in radio streaming app that has a ton of college stations. I run a VM to play it

This is the dumbest and most convoluted way to do it but whatever

For the record, I don't understand any of this, but I'm just happy you are supporting college radio.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For the record, I don't understand any of this, but I'm just happy you are supporting college radio.

I basically had my college station on speed dial so I could call in an ask what songs they were playing if I liked them. They probably hated me on some level, but at the same time seemed excited someone was listening to whatever they'd curated as a playlist

Reactions: JXC

mja

Jan 7, 2005
I basically had my college station on speed dial so I could call in an ask what songs they were playing if I liked them. They probably hated me on some level, but at the same time seemed excited someone was listening to whatever they'd curated as a playlist

Being on the air in the middle of nowhere can get lonely, so I loved when people called in. At least I knew someone was listening. I use to do a Blues show one day a week and this couple would always call in to request songs for each other, always Buddy Guy if memory serves. I eagerly awaited their calls every week.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Heard BTO Let It Ride today. Had to be one of my first favorite songs. I remember it playing loudly on a ride called the Caterpillar in OC NJ.

Reactions: JXC

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Being on the air in the middle of nowhere can get lonely, so I loved when people called in. At least I knew someone was listening. I use to do a Blues show one day a week and this couple would always call in to request songs for each other, always Buddy Guy if memory serves. I eagerly awaited their calls every week.
Same, I spun records (LOL) in college and when anyone called it was landmark, because pretty much no one ever did. Back then I thought it was because everyone was too stoned call, but now I know that no one was listening. Sobering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->