OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
A master class in musicianship. Also, a double-necked Rick bass? Maybe Chris Squire used one at some point? I've never seen one used anywhere else.

Edit...on a second look it appears to be a Rick bass over a guitar and not a 6 string bass. I was kind of wondering why a double-necked bass in the first place. I'm a drummer, forgive me, bass legion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

If you have never heard it have a listen.

My friend Elliott who now owns a record shop and used to run Soul and R&B nights introduced it (alongside a looooot of other stuff) maybe ~12 years ago.

One of the best voices ever.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
A master class in musicianship. Also, a double-necked Rick bass? Maybe Chris Squire used one at some point? I've never seen one used anywhere else.

Edit...on a second look it appears to be a Rick bass over a guitar and not a 6 string bass. I was kind of wondering why a double-necked bass in the first place. I'm a drummer, forgive me, bass legion.

I have a Rick bass, the same one that Geddy and Squire played. It's a pain for a number of well-documented reasons, but one of the coolest and under-appreciated features is the Rick-o-sound pickup split.

There are two outputs - one is a regular mono output with a sweepable pickup knob. But there's also a second output, and if you plug another lead into that one, now you've got two mono signals coming out - one for the bridge pickup and one for the neck.

I used it on a few recordings, and it's really nice to be able to blend between the two in the mix.

There's also a circuit bypass switch, which lets me bypass the modern circuitry and use only the circuitry that was in the original Ricks backinaday, so I can properly jam out to 2112 and Fragile :)

Or Mötörhead lol. Ace of Spades, baby!

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Such a great song! The solos are gold. Lee Morgan (trumpet) is like 20 years old on this recording.

Crazy story. Morgan was playing a gig in New York in 1972, and got in a fight with his wife in between sets. She shot him, and the ambulance was slow getting there (apparently it was snowing) and he bled out. He was 33.

Here's a live version of the same song - though I feel the solos are much tighter on the recorded version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad