OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I've been listening to 3 artists mainly, depending on my mood.

1. Cody Jinks -- My favorite artist, have every album and love them all
2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds -- Liked Oasis, but Liams voice just annoyed me. Have all 3 albums, all good.
3. Agnes Obel -- Just recently found about her, from Tales From The Loop. This is my soothing, work from home music now.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

Yaeji goes in. Very disparate and cosmopolitan sound.
I've been listening to 3 artists mainly, depending on my mood.

1. Cody Jinks -- My favorite artist, have every album and love them all
2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds -- Liked Oasis, but Liams voice just annoyed me. Have all 3 albums, all good.
3. Agnes Obel -- Just recently found about her, from Tales From The Loop. This is my soothing, work from home music now.
The whole Britpop thing just missed me completely. Could never get into Oasis, Blur, their contemporaries, side projects, etc.

Goldie, Tricky, PJ Harvey, Burial is Britpop to me :laugh:.

Some stuff Im listening to now:
Melvins-Lysol
Grace Jones-Nightclubbing
The Police-Regatta de Blanc
Wipers-Is This Real
Weakling-Dead As Dreams
Knxwledge-HX.PRT14 & WT.15.8_
Bankroll Fresh-Life of a Hot Boy Vol.1
Tragedy-Vengeance
Metro Zu-Mink Rug
Breach-Kollapse
Jerome's Dream-Discography
Beyond-No Longer At Ease

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yaeji goes in. Very disparate and cosmopolitan sound.

The whole Britpop thing just missed me completely. Could never get into Oasis, Blur, their contemporaries, side projects, etc.

Goldie, Tricky, PJ Harvey, Burial is Britpop to me :laugh:.

Some stuff Im listening to now:
Melvins-Lysol
Grace Jones-Nightclubbing
The Police-Regatta de Blanc
Wipers-Is This Real
Weakling-Dead As Dreams
Knxwledge-HX.PRT14 & WT.15.8_
Bankroll Fresh-Life of a Hot Boy Vol.1
Tragedy-Vengeance
Metro Zu-Mink Rug
Breach-Kollapse
Jerome's Dream-Discography
Beyond-No Longer At Ease

I can understand that with Britpop as a whole. A lot of it was crap.

But Pulp? I mean, they are just heads and shoulders above Blur and Oasis in my eyes. Also predated Britpop really and just picked up in it. Kind of like The Stranglers with punk

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I can understand that with Britpop as a whole. A lot of it was crap.

But Pulp? I mean, they are just heads and shoulders above Blur and Oasis in my eyes. Also predated Britpop really and just picked up in it. Kind of like The Stranglers with punk
Them too. Just never clicked. Was more a Psychedelic Furs/Cure type of person.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Them too. Just never clicked. Was more a Psychedelic Furs/Cure type of person.

I like both also! Especially the Cure.

In terms of Britpop:

I am supposed to love Oasis being from Manchester... and their first 2 albums were solid. But after that I think they were very mediocre. People actually get offended in the city if they find that out haha.

Blur I love their "peaks" but were pretty darn inconsistent.

But Pulp have His'n'Hers and Different Class, which for me were the best two albums of the entire "genre".

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013

In terms of Britpop:

I am supposed to love Oasis being from Manchester... and their first 2 albums were solid. But after that I think they were very mediocre. People actually get offended in the city if they find that out haha.

But Pulp have His'n'Hers and Different Class, which for me were the best two albums of the entire "genre".
Gonna run some Pulp while the NFL Draft plays now.
Maybe a relisten will change my perspective

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017

I'm not sure I know for sure who was Britpop, outside Oasis, Blur, etc. Were the Stone Roses and the Smiths Britpop? I think the Stone Roses debut album is awesome, but were they before Britpop?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Any T. Rex fans?

Just picked up their album Tanx on vinyl for $11.12 + free shipping through r/vinyldeals subreddit

That completes my vinyl trilogy of their essential albums along with Electric Warrior & The Slider.

Tanx.jpg

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

In terms of Britpop:

Blur at their peak were really good. They had some great songs, not many great albums. Coffee & TV is probably my favorite song of the Britpop era.

I also agree that Oasis got pretty mediocre over the years. They finished strong though, imo. Dig Out Your Soul is a solid album and Falling Down may even be my favorite Oasis song.

Reactions: Appleyard

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I'm not sure I know for sure who was Britpop, outside Oasis, Blur, etc. Were the Stone Roses and the Smiths Britpop? I think the Stone Roses debut album is awesome, but were they before Britpop?
Its nebulous. Britpop is the response to American alternative rock in the 90s.
Cleaner sonics, more even dynamics from a production standpoint, massive commercial success (for some).
Not shoegaze or punk but still very visceral from a songwriting aspect. BIG on the hooks.
Suede, Boo Radleys, Ocean Colour Scene....Elastica?, Denim?, the Auteurs? would all fit I guess along with names already mentioned.
Stones Roses, Smiths prolly count as influences. Which is funny cuz I love the Roses and hate the Smiths.
But then Bowie escapes me too except for the Nile Rodgers stuff and Low :sarcasm:
Libertines and Bloc Party would be the next wave.

Genres are stupid. Theyre logistical helpers for labels,venues, and promoters and thats it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Blur at their peak were really good. They had some great songs, not many great albums. Coffee & TV is probably my favorite song of the Britpop era.

I also agree that Oasis got pretty mediocre over the years. They finished strong though, imo. Dig Out Your Soul is a solid album and Falling Down may even be my favorite Oasis song.

Aside from Song 2, I was not into Blur when I was younger. However, I have gotten into them more recently. Specifically Parklife.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Aside from Song 2, I was not into Blur when I was younger. However, I have gotten into them more recently. Specifically Parklife.
I probably wouldn't call myself a big fan of Blur, or Oasis for that matter, either. I like both bands, but I've always been the Radiohead/Portishead type. My two favorite British bands.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad