OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
A few years ago I did 3 concerts in a weekend... BIG Mistake. I had no energy or voice for almost a week. Back in the late 80's I did 4-5 shows in a week without an issue.

Hell, back when I was in college, I would do 3-4 hardcore days at CMJ where I saw literally a dozen shows, including Sebadoh perform a set that went on for almost 2 hours, after which I conned my way into the after-party. Right now a single show seems daunting and two seems impossible. Youth is really something.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonoffrost

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
-Eternal Summer by The Strokes
I was pleasantly surprised by their new album. After Room on Fire they were getting worse with each album that followed, to the point that I just didn't care anymore.
They're still not as good as they used to be imo, but their new record is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Mentioned this in another thread... Just so fun … if you skip the politics at the start even though they have a point.
I attended the Philly show of these.

Reactions: Amorgus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hell, back when I was in college, I would do 3-4 hardcore days at CMJ where I saw literally a dozen shows, including Sebadoh perform a set that went on for almost 2 hours, after which I conned my way into the after-party. Right now a single show seems daunting and two seems impossible. Youth is really something.

Even as someone who is still pretty young... I used to go to a lot of gigs... probably averaged 1.5 a week for a couple of years. Partially as most of my friends were in bands and if not playing at a smaller venue themselves would be supporting someone... and could get in free if that was the case haha!

Plus would probably pay to go to ~30 bands a year who I really wanted to see, including maybe 10 bands who I would see every time they came to either Manchester or Liverpool... or maybe even Leeds or Sheffield if not stopping in Manchester.

But now? I don't go to very many. In the last 18 months or so have been to: No Fun at All, Weezer, Gorillaz... and a couple of local punk gigs in Copenhagen. Maybe 5 in total. And only had 2 planned before the coronavirus thing until summer (Altin Gun and a friends band, Clayface).

I thought about why the other month and I realised it was a combo of reasons:

Cost: I understand why cost has gone up, and for the most part it is fair. But basically ticket prices have doubled in the last ~7-8 year... when inflated has been ~10% over that period. So 8 years ago could have gone to say... Gorrilaz AND Weezer for ~£60. Now combined they cost £100. I kind of resent that.

And yeh, if I went on a night out I would spend £50 anyway at a minimum and it would be less memorable. But tbh I am cheap and enjoy houseparties more anyway. So dont often go out like that anymore. AND if go to a gig with some friends will for sure go for drinks either side, maybe stay out, get a taxi home etc... so it is not ~£50... but a minimum of maybe £100 for a "premium" band.

Alternatives: Whereas it used to be a B level band was ~£15-20 pounds they are now £30-35 or so... I never used to think twice about going to someone I "liked a few songs of" for £15... but for £30?

Yeh... I'd rather go to the cinema with friends and have a meal after for the ~£50 that it will cost to see a mid-tier band... or go to watch say a hockey game, or go to a soccer game.

It is cheaper for me to go to watch a Premier League game than go to a gig. Comfortably once factor in costs around it.

Rate of gigs: Manchester is a music city... it used to be that EVERY night there would be a decent band playing somewhere, so after work or school etc would go to a bar with some friends, check who was on, and maybe go to a smaller venue to see a new band who sounded decent. Now? Maybe a 1/5 chance if check someone is actually on.

Atmosphere: Unless it is a bigger band or a cult band a lot of bands dont have the consistent following they used to live it seems. A lot of people under say ~25 cant afford to go to the bands they want to all the time (my brother is a sound engineer, loves music... but if not getting in free has to pick and choose as life is expensive!), and as a result crowds seem older, less intense, and just not quite as invigorated as a result.

Reactions: wankstifier

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Even as someone who is still pretty young... I used to go to a lot of gigs... probably averaged 1.5 a week for a couple of years. Partially as most of my friends were in bands and if not playing at a smaller venue themselves would be supporting someone... and could get in free if that was the case haha!

Plus would probably pay to go to ~30 bands a year who I really wanted to see, including maybe 10 bands who I would see every time they came to either Manchester or Liverpool... or maybe even Leeds or Sheffield if not stopping in Manchester.

But now? I don't go to very many. In the last 18 months or so have been to: No Fun at All, Weezer, Gorillaz... and a couple of local punk gigs in Copenhagen. Maybe 5 in total. And only had 2 planned before the coronavirus thing until summer (Altin Gun and a friends band, Clayface).

I thought about why the other month and I realised it was a combo of reasons:

Cost: I understand why cost has gone up, and for the most part it is fair. But basically ticket prices have doubled in the last ~7-8 year... when inflated has been ~10% over that period. So 8 years ago could have gone to say... Gorrilaz AND Weezer for ~£60. Now combined they cost £100. I kind of resent that.

And yeh, if I went on a night out I would spend £50 anyway at a minimum and it would be less memorable. But tbh I am cheap and enjoy houseparties more anyway. So dont often go out like that anymore. AND if go to a gig with some friends will for sure go for drinks either side, maybe stay out, get a taxi home etc... so it is not ~£50... but a minimum of maybe £100 for a "premium" band.

Alternatives: Whereas it used to be a B level band was ~£15-20 pounds they are now £30-35 or so... I never used to think twice about going to someone I "liked a few songs of" for £15... but for £30?

Yeh... I'd rather go to the cinema with friends and have a meal after for the ~£50 that it will cost to see a mid-tier band... or go to watch say a hockey game, or go to a soccer game.

It is cheaper for me to go to watch a Premier League game than go to a gig. Comfortably once factor in costs around it.

Rate of gigs: Manchester is a music city... it used to be that EVERY night there would be a decent band playing somewhere, so after work or school etc would go to a bar with some friends, check who was on, and maybe go to a smaller venue to see a new band who sounded decent. Now? Maybe a 1/5 chance if check someone is actually on.

Atmosphere: Unless it is a bigger band or a cult band a lot of bands dont have the consistent following they used to live it seems. A lot of people under say ~25 cant afford to go to the bands they want to all the time (my brother is a sound engineer, loves music... but if not getting in free has to pick and choose as life is expensive!), and as a result crowds seem older, less intense, and just not quite as invigorated as a result.
Cost definitely has affected the scene. That three concert weekend probably cost $1000 when all was said and done. 2 tickets to the shows, parking, dinners and drinks. Then again it was Dave Matthews (Fri), Sting/Peter Gabriel (Sat), Paul Simon (Sun). So quality of performer kicked the costs up a little.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Cost definitely has affected the scene. That three concert weekend probably cost $1000 when all was said and done. 2 tickets to the shows, parking, dinners and drinks. Then again it was Dave Matthews (Fri), Sting/Peter Gabriel (Sat), Paul Simon (Sun). So quality of performer kicked the costs up a little.

I love QOTSA... but Weezer and Gorillaz played in close proximity... my oldest friend was going to Weezer, and by brother bought me a Gorillaz ticket (that he expected me to pay for haha, tbf they sold out in 5 mins). So QOTSA missed out, as could not justify the expenditure for all three in a short timeframe.

Would not even have thought twice ~7-8 years ago. Missed System of a Down for the same reason. And Chuck Berry. (which I regret)

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I love QOTSA... but Weezer and Gorillaz played in close proximity... my oldest friend was going to Weezer, and by brother bought me a Gorillaz ticket (that he expected me to pay for haha, tbf they sold out in 5 mins). So QOTSA missed out, as could not justify the expenditure for all three in a short timeframe.

Would not even have thought twice ~7-8 years ago. Missed System of a Down for the same reason. And Chuck Berry. (which I regret)

I had a friend that during that summer we decided to see as many shows as we could. I think at the end of that year we totaled up to almost $7500 in concert tickets. We did a who's who of rock from the 70's through today. When that year was done I realized I had the money to go from a 10 game Flyers plan to a full season plan. Now with a house and bills that won't be happening again.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I had a friend that during that summer we decided to see as many shows as we could. I think at the end of that year we totaled up to almost $7500 in concert tickets. We did a who's who of rock from the 70's through today. When that year was done I realized I had the money to go from a 10 game Flyers plan to a full season plan. Now with a house and bills that won't be happening again.

Wow! That must have been an epic summer.

Tbh I cant imagine I ever go to more than ~5 gigs a year from this point onwards that I have to pay for...

I just prefer spending my money on holidays haha. If holidays abroad are ever a "thing" again.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Wow! That must have been an epic summer.

Tbh I cant imagine I ever go to more than ~5 gigs a year from this point onwards that I have to pay for...

I just prefer spending my money on holidays haha. If holidays abroad are ever a "thing" again.

Just to name drop a few Jackson Browne, Santana, Jimmy Buffet, the aforementioned 3 shows, McCartney, Springsteen, Godsmack, Shinedown, Disturbed, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw/Faith Hill, yeah... all kinds of fun.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Any classical music listeners out there?

Musically from Machaut to Schnittke. Do miss going to concerts. Favorites are the usual: Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner plus for operas, Wagner. Italian opera I leave to others.........
Astral Performing Arts in Philly sponsors up and coming performing artists. Always a treat. The kids try the hardest music to play. Usually a Schnittke piece, like a sonata for violin or cello.
One young artist came once and played Schnittke's 1st cello sonata. Fine performance. I asked her if she heard or tried to play Schnittke's 2nd cello sonata. She said she never heard of it.
She came back a year later. I asked her why she did not try to perform his 2nd sonata. She looked at me.....and said "no way! Only Rostropovich could play that!" She was right, Schnittke wrote it for Rostropovich in mind.....

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Musically from Machaut to Schnittke. Do miss going to concerts. Favorites are the usual: Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner plus for operas, Wagner. Italian opera I leave to others.........
Astral Performing Arts in Philly sponsors up and coming performing artists. Always a treat. The kids try the hardest music to play. Usually a Schnittke piece, like a sonata for violin or cello.
One young artist came once and played Schnittke's 1st cello sonata. Fine performance. I asked her if she heard or tried to play Schnittke's 2nd cello sonata. She said she never heard of it.
She came back a year later. I asked her why she did not try to perform his 2nd sonata. She looked at me.....and said "no way! Only Rostropovich could play that!" She was right, Schnittke wrote it for Rostropovich in mind.....

I dabble as my Mum has always been a fan.

But Tchaikovsky, Pachelbel, Brahms and Bach are the only ones I have ever got properly into at times.

Reactions: wankstifier

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

If I were choosing my favourite albums of the 90s... this one would be very high. Alongside Different Class as well.

Damn Pulp were amazing for a few years. 24 songs across His'n'Hers and Different Class... and ~20 of them are great. (and the albums released within 2.5 years of each other)

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Having been a band geek in school I do listen to some classical music. Mostly stuff (dating myself here) that was on the Classical Thunder series of cd's.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard I listened to that The Godfathers album yesterday that you recommended on Twitter. Very good!

Glad to hear you liked it!

They are kind of a forgotten band to a degree. Came in a weird time when post-punk was kind of dead and Britpop had not yet began... I guess 4 years earlier or 4 years later and they would have been a lot bigger.

I managed to watch them live maybe 10 years ago and they were still very good.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad