OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One problem a lot of rock guitarists have is they fall in love with speed, I've seen this with jazz musicians as well, you're technically proficient so you just keep adding notes - but to me the mark of a great musician is being able to play the quiet between the notes:

I agree. On the bass side of things it's like comparing Stu Hamm and Victor Wooten. Hamm is technically brilliant. But he doesn't have that "feel" Wooten does.

I'm always impressed at the restraint Miles Davis shows, considering my understanding is that he'd have loved Lehtera's cabin.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Haven’t heard Airplane, Quicksilver in a long time. Happy Trails To You, until we met again......wasn’t that Gene Autry’s and Dale Evans’ theme song? Trivia question....what were the names of Dale’s horse and the Jeep they rode around in?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Haven’t heard Airplane, Quicksilver in a long time. Happy Trails To You, until we met again......wasn’t that Gene Autry’s and Dale Evans’ theme song? Trivia question....what were the names of Dale’s horse and the Jeep they rode around in?

Dale's horse was named Trigger. I don't know about his jeep, but if he was a hockey guy, it was "Jeepzie"

EDIT: Damn it, that was Roy Rogers' horse. If it wasn't Trigger, then Dale's must have been the opposite of Trigger - so "Voracek"

Reactions: macleish1974

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course, in the late 60s, "Happy Trails" had a slightly different context.

Buttercup was a horse?

th

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I always thought Happy Trails was just an anonymous country song, but was written by Dale Evans herself...I am impressed. Brings make memories along with Davy Crockett. Who did want in the early 50s for Christmas: coonskin cap, Mattel Fanner 50, and if super lucky, a Lionel train set? I still have all three stored away.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The days grow shorter, the leaves begin to fall, the wind begins to chill the bones, Halloween is coming, it's GOTH TIME.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm not a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, but holy **** this song is so good. I guess i get why so many of their fans wanted the original lineup back together.

It's good, and yet it's still a shadow of what these guys were pumping out twenty years ago.

1979 may be my overall favorite song. For my money they manage to capture the feeling of nostalgia with the music. That's the kind of thing the best classical composers would do, try to make a statement with music alone or conjure specific feelings.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My annual guilty pleasure is listening to Candyass from Orgy every fall while I rake leaves.

Loveless is another fall album for me.
I have one of their album Vapor Transmission in a box somewhere too but haven't heard it in a loooong time. Once the snow hits is when I'll slide into more industrial music. This is the time for The Sisters of Mercy, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Mission, Clan of Zymox, Rosetta Stone, London After Midnight, and any other spooky goodies I feel like.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's good, and yet it's still a shadow of what these guys were pumping out twenty years ago.

1979 may be my overall favorite song. For my money they manage to capture the feeling of nostalgia with the music. That's the kind of thing the best classical composers would do, try to make a statement with music alone or conjure specific feelings.

We've talked about this before I believe, but 1979 IS my favorite overall song.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I have a playlist on Spotify with all music from movies specifically for yard work. Nothing gets you more jacked to do ****ty work than Promentory from Last of the Mohicans.
I have one with movie scores, one with songs from movie soundtracks, and the currently playing one of all horror movie scores and songs. I can't believe some of the stuff that's on Spotify. They even have the music from the movie in my avatar (pre-Gritty version)!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The new Gunship album "Dark All Day" is absolutely phenomenal.

If you like synth-heavy music and 80s nostalgia, check it out.

Reactions: Amorgus

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

One of my favourite choruses ever...

simple but gets the point across.

I actually think they were a bit bigger in America in the very early 90's than the UK.

Not actually a big fan of them... but this and Give, Give, Give Me More, More, More are great songs.

They definitely didn't make too much of a ripple here - I don't remember them at all lol

Reactions: Appleyard

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have a playlist on Spotify with all music from movies specifically for yard work. Nothing gets you more jacked to do ****ty work than Promentory from Last of the Mohicans.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Awesome piece of music for real though.....really does get me pumped up. Watching that entire scene with the directing, pacing, music is basically textbook filmmaking by Michael Mann.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Awesome piece of music for real though.....really does get me pumped up. Watching that entire scene with the directing, pacing, music is basically textbook filmmaking by Michael Mann.

One of the greatest final 10 minutes in movie history.

Magua got what he deserved :naughty:

Reactions: Jtown

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Jo and the Mofos always lighten my FAFBD [ Flyers Are Frighteningly Bad Disease ]

jo.mofos.jpg

Jo is Johanne Astrid the 12 year old drummer, loves Bonham.....she won the 2017 Denmark's "Got Talent" over some whining hiphop singer. She has some new tunes out on iTunes plus YT. And she makes me smile when I see her play. More than I can say for the Flyers.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->