OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
i saw this morning that legendary video game composer Nobuo Uemastu is taking the rest of the year off due to ill health so I'm firing up some orchestral Final Fantasy concerts in his honor. There's actually going to be another live FF concert in town next week. I'm not going this time but my coworker is after I told him it was coming. If you can talk video games with me, you're a keeper in my department.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I just discovered The 1975. No one told me they were good. I just assumed they weren't.
Dude holy f*** I was just coming in to post this very thing.

Their second album is pretty bad tbh but their EP stuff is pretty damn good and their debut album has a few great songs on it. They also teased 4 singles from their upcoming 3rd album, 2 of which are good.

My favorites are Me and Robbers. I'm trying to learn Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You on the piano. It's coming along.

There's also a sweet cover on youtube of Me if you're interested. This made me discover Luke Holland, who is a phenomenal drummer. He covers songs like this, i.e. songs you don't really think would be good for drum covers, with session performers. Always really really f***ing well done. His kit is top notch.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One of the best TV series I have ever had the pleasure to watch. I would advise you all find it and watch it. Very British but just amazing. Disturbing at times, but something else.

And a fantastic soundtrack.

Reactions: Foggy14

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Louie, Louie.jpg

There was in LA a 24 hour Marathon/Tribute to Louie Louie........over 600 versions. Neil Young called in a gave a 15 second version.......

Reactions: Foggy14

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
One of the best TV series I have ever had the pleasure to watch. I would advise you all find it and watch it. Very British but just amazing. Disturbing at times, but something else.

And a fantastic soundtrack.

Gonna be a new adaptation by Gillian Flynn on Amazon. Not sure how to feel about that since I've already seen and enjoyed the UK series. Was originally supposed to be directed by Fincher with Flynn as the writer for an HBO series.

The music and the COLOR (!!) were definite highlights for me. Topically relevant to the U.S. as well as the U.K. I'd say, though I'd agree that it's "very British" :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Gonna be a new adaptation by Gillian Flynn on Amazon. Not sure how to feel about that since I've already seen and enjoyed the UK series. Was originally supposed to be directed by Fincher with Flynn as the writer for an HBO series.

The music and the COLOR (!!) were definite highlights for me. Topically relevant to the U.S. as well as the U.K. I'd say, though I'd agree that it's "very British" :laugh:

Yep, the color was gorgeous in it. Not really sure that I agree with Alex that it was "great," but it was well-made. I will probably end up watching it again at some point.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Yep, the color was gorgeous in it. Not really sure that I agree with Alex that it was "great," but it was well-made. I will probably end up watching it again at some point.

I enjoyed the humor and I thought the characters were well acted, but I think the story tried to get too weighty and the quality petered out as the series went on.

Just binge-watched Maniac on Netflix. Reallly enjoyed some of the characters on that show and the silliness/wit of the writing, though I felt that they didn't tie up the season in a satisfying way. That show has some good music as well.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
johanne-astrid-WLL-735x413.jpg

Joanne Astrid [Poulson], 12 year old Danish drummer for metal band she created: Jo and the Mofos.......Check her out on YT. She won the Danish 2017 "You Got Talent" show. Her double foot pedals are fun to watch. And her cymbal work is pretty darn good. But her infectious smile while going wild on Zep's Whole Lotta Love" is what gets you. She is having more fun, than we are as Flyers fan.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
View attachment 143169

Joanne Astrid [Poulson], 12 year old Danish drummer for metal band she created: Jo and the Mofos.......Check her out on YT. She won the Danish 2017 "You Got Talent" show. Her double foot pedals are fun to watch. And her cymbal work is pretty darn good. But her infectious smile while going wild on Zep's Whole Lotta Love" is what gets you. She is having more fun, than we are as Flyers fan.

This is pretty ****ing cool :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In terms of music incorporation in a game, I have always liked the first Mafia, Bioshock and Deus Ex: Human Revolution the most.

I also have a soft spot for the main theme from the first Dungeon Siege, but thats just a childhood nostalgia thing I think

For Dungeony games, the Diablo 2 soundtrack is one I love.

Reactions: kudymen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's on my top ten all time list, but this is the one that everyone should listen to,

Clapton was strung out on heroin and in love with Patty Boyd, George Harrison's wife.
So the writing and singing is totally heartfelt, along with some great blues covers and a great version of Hendrix's "Little Wing."
Duane dropped by, they started jamming and the rest is history.
The interplay between the two is jaw dropping.
Turns out the Coda for the song Layla was stolen from Rita Coolidge by drummer Jim Gordon.

Music: The tragedy of the ‘Layla’ coda

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One problem a lot of rock guitarists have is they fall in love with speed, I've seen this with jazz musicians as well, you're technically proficient so you just keep adding notes - but to me the mark of a great musician is being able to play the quiet between the notes:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we're taking the Way Back machine, this is what Fleetwood Mac would sound like if they did a lot of acid:

Jack Cassidy is one of the great bass players of all time and Jorma Kaukonen is a heck of a guitar player.

Reactions: The Rage Kage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad