OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
giphy.gif

These genre labels are getting sillier and sillier.

As for Arcade Fire, I think I started to lose interest with The Suburbs. Don't get me wrong, there's some amazing stuff on that record, but the band's inherent pretentiousness started to stop being charming. Afterlife is a real high point on Reflektor, but that's a record I had a really hard time getting into otherwise. And I haven't even been able to give Everything Now a full listen. Electric Blue is another nice (if slightly forgettable) discoey number from Regine, but everything else has fallen really flat for me.

Another band I lost interest in was Interpol after Antics, but I'm really liking what I've heard off their new record so far.

Synthwave is a perfect description of the genre though. Its synth-heavy music inspired by 80s synth-pop and soundtracks to 80s video games and movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Another band I lost interest in was Interpol after Antics, but I'm really liking what I've heard off their new record so far.

I haven't dug too deep into Interpol at all, but I have liked pretty much every song of theirs I have heard, including this one. I saw them live (on TV, I mean) from some festival and they sounded really good there, too.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I like the new Interpol album more than I thought I would. Wasn't a big fan of their work since the original bassist left.

Antics is still my favorite. More polished than Turn on the Bright Lights.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Synthwave is a perfect description of the genre though. Its synth-heavy music inspired by 80s synth-pop and soundtracks to 80s video games and movies.

I already begrudgingly allowed synthwave, but I'm drawing a line in the sand at aggrotech and that's final.

I haven't dug too deep into Interpol at all, but I have liked pretty much every song of theirs I have heard, including this one. I saw them live (on TV, I mean) from some festival and they sounded really good there, too.

Their 2002 debut Turn on the Bright Lights is their best effort in my opinion (and that's probably consensus, though you'll find people like @LorneMalvo who prefer the follow-up Antics), but even back then they were knocked for being shallow and derivative. My thing is, if you're going to rip off a band, you might as well rip off Joy Division, and if the songs are good who cares? Their last few efforts have been mostly poorly-received though, so this record seems to be something of a comeback for them.

I seem to have a problem with any post-2000 band anyway. I can get into them for a record or two (and three in rare cases) but beyond that I tend to lose interest.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I already begrudgingly allowed synthwave, but I'm drawing a line in the sand at aggrotech and that's final.

Their 2002 debut Turn on the Bright Lights is their best effort in my opinion (and that's probably consensus, though you'll find people like @LorneMalvo who prefer the follow-up Antics), but even back then they were knocked for being shallow and derivative. My thing is, if you're going to rip off a band, you might as well rip off Joy Division, and if the songs are good who cares? Their last few efforts have been mostly poorly-received though, so this record seems to be something of a comeback for them.

I seem to have a problem with any post-2000 band anyway. I can get into them for a record or two (and three in rare cases) but beyond that I tend to lose interest.

Im not sure what aggrotech is so im with you on that one lol

Reactions: mja

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
if you want-- I'm not sure how to describe it -- more of the modern industrial "back to the roots" music-- it's very atmospheric.

Read some depressing articles on power and then listen ha ha.

and (some people don't like these style of singing until she starts singing--but in person you can get pretty close so it's more intense-- awkward).

More atmosphere:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad