Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I stick to listening to the real deal.

Wow, who are these GVF impersonators?

Love the holier than thou vibe that comes from some folks who scoff at such a "ripoff" of a timeless, legendary band while simultaneously bashing "today's music" for being "fake".

Ten Years Gone is one of my all time favorite songs. Even after listening to that peaceful but lonesome acoustic-electric riff for the millionth time I get goosebumps.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Love the holier than thou vibe that comes from some folks who scoff at such a "ripoff" of a timeless, legendary band while simultaneously bashing "today's music" for being "fake".

Ten Years Gone is one of my all time favorite songs. Even after listening to that peaceful but lonesome acoustic-electric riff for the millionth time I get goosebumps.

The most baffling music criticism I've seen is "Ugh these guys are too much like Zeppelin."

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not that interested in Led Zeppelin. HOWEVER, that opening scene in Thor: Ragnarok with the Immigrant Song was perfect

Here's a question: What is everyone's favorite collaboration between solo artists? Could be a song, an album, or a live performance. A recent favorite of mine is Kids See Ghosts.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not that interested in Led Zeppelin. HOWEVER, that opening scene in Thor: Ragnarok with the Immigrant Song was perfect

Here's a question: What is everyone's favorite collaboration between solo artists? Could be a song, an album, or a live performance. A recent favorite of mine is Kids See Ghosts.
Kids See Ghosts was phenomenal. Reborn is top tier.

I think Illenium and EDEN have my vote. This is phenomenal work

Reactions: wankstifier

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

I don't even know what you're going on about here.

When I said I prefer to listen to the real deal, I'm not talking ripoffs.

The real deal to me are bands like Zeppelin, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Who, etc. I've listened to tons of bands so I don't need lectures on being open to find other bands. I've had "indy fans" tell me I'm a horrible judge of music, even though I play the guitar. So, that's what I mean by "listening to the real deal."

Nothing to do with greta van fleet (whatever its called). If they want to sound like Zeppelin then they have every right to do so, countless other bands have done the same. I did listen to one of their songs. At first I thought I was listening to the 6 minute mark of Dazed and Confused on the song remains the same soundtrack, not bashing just stating what I heard. Personally, I don't have an opinion on the band.

I haven't heard anything that since grunge that I like. From my point of view every form of art has become homogenized and corporatized (i know, not a word) over the past 20 yrs. Everything has become ugly. No beauty is allowed... but thats a wider discussion.
Right now, I'm listening to Celtic traditional music played with a harp... things like that I about the extent of my musical taste these days,

Ten Years Gone is my favorite zeppelin song. The guitar solo is so emotional.. my favorite guitar solo by anyone.

People go on about Zeppelin ripping off people. But any other band that wrote epics like Stairway, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand in the span of 5 years would be considered songwriting geniuses. Those 4 songs alone would make any other band legendary, not to mention the other 75 or so other songs in Zeppelin's catalog.

And I've learned it takes more than writing something, you have to be able to play the song and engineer to make it great.
Zeppelin could have turned "I'm a little tea pot" into a classic.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

And I've learned it takes more than writing something, you have to be able to play the song and engineer to make it great.
Zeppelin could have turned "I'm a little tea pot" into a classic.
The Beatles are my favorite band. Classic rock is my favorite genre.

The fact that you even admit they sound like Zep but you still have "no opinion on them" is exactly what I'm talking about. Some people sound so ridiculous nowadays because mainstream sound has changed and that has driven them on some melodramatic, sensationalized prohibition on present day music. The fact that some misplaced sense of purism or something keeps so many people from finding some fantastic music from "today" is a shame imo. Clearly you know music and you have a fantastic taste in it. Trust me, there's plenty out there for you. If you like vocals, go for this one

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Kids See Ghosts was phenomenal. Reborn is top tier.

I think Illenium and EDEN have my vote. This is phenomenal work

Saw this got a like, if you dig it I'd recommend Illenium to anyone. Takes you away with melodic dubstep. Sound of Walking Away, Feel Good, Afterlife, Fortress, Crawl Outta Love...I could go on.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
I don't even know what you're going on about here.

When I said I prefer to listen to the real deal, I'm not talking ripoffs.

The real deal to me are bands like Zeppelin, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Who, etc. I've listened to tons of bands so I don't need lectures on being open to find other bands. I've had "indy fans" tell me I'm a horrible judge of music, even though I play the guitar. So, that's what I mean by "listening to the real deal."

Irony

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

irony, oh boy you showed me regurgitating nonsense

ten years gone, achilles last stand, kashmir, no quarter, the rain song, stairway (no not a rip off), going to california, tangerine, that's the way, in the light, down by the seaside.

just gives those songs to another band and they'd be legendary.

Reactions: Rebels57

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
The Beatles are my favorite band. Classic rock is my favorite genre.

The fact that you even admit they sound like Zep but you still have "no opinion on them" is exactly what I'm talking about. Some people sound so ridiculous nowadays because mainstream sound has changed and that has driven them on some melodramatic, sensationalized prohibition on present day music. The fact that some misplaced sense of purism or something keeps so many people from finding some fantastic music from "today" is a shame imo. Clearly you know music and you have a fantastic taste in it. Trust me, there's plenty out there for you. If you like vocals, go for this one

it cant be that I don't enjoy listening to it, no it cant be that.

that would go against your narrative of being superior.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

one of my points, is that I have other priorities than searching about for hidden music that I may like. I simply don't have the time.

Personally, everything sounds like rubbish to me.

You disagree and like it. That;s fine. I don't care. Love it all if you want. It doesn't influence how I'd judge you as a person.

I'm just not sure why "Indie Music" or Hidden Music lovers need to portray themselves as superior forms of life.

In my day I encounted a few Indie/hipster types and it was always the same mantra. Everyone else is so narrow minded, blah blah. We're so enlightended... Nevermind the fact that none of them had a clue about my feelings or research towards anything. And I did make attempts to listen to their suggestions and wound up enjoying none of it. I guess I'm an unintelligent brute.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
irony, oh boy you showed me regurgitating nonsense

ten years gone, achilles last stand, kashmir, no quarter, the rain song, stairway (no not a rip off), going to california, tangerine, that's the way, in the light, down by the seaside.

just gives those songs to another band and they'd be legendary.

Yeah, sorry, they don't really do much for me. The music is fun sometimes, like in comic book movies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Queers are playing on a boat in NYC later this month. You bet I'm going to that. Just saw Rise Against/AFI/Anti Flag and the Smashing Pumpkins on consecutive nights. The last one featured guest shots from the lead singer of the Deftones, Courtney Love (who, suprise suprise was totally F'ed up), 2 guys from the Killers, Mark McGrath (who did both "Fly" and a cover of "Breaking the Law), the guitarist from New Order and AFI's Danny Havoc who did vocals for "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad