OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
**** me that sounds like an amazing show

I bought one of their (TVOTR) albums (or whatever you call them now lol) a long time ago and I couldn't find a single note to grab onto and get into them. I kept seeing all these places listing them alongside Bloc Party - like "if you like Bloc Party, you'll like TVOTR" - and I loved, LOVED Bloc Party, but I couldn't hear the slightest ounce of anything that would make people compare them. I'm sort of past caring about new music now, so it's no big deal, but it was a head scratcher.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I bought one of their (TVOTR) albums (or whatever you call them now lol) a long time ago and I couldn't find a single note to grab onto and get into them. I kept seeing all these places listing them alongside Bloc Party - like "if you like Bloc Party, you'll like TVOTR" - and I loved, LOVED Bloc Party, but I couldn't hear the slightest ounce of anything that would make people compare them. I'm sort of past caring about new music now, so it's no big deal, but it was a head scratcher.
Bloc Party is up there as one of my favorite dancy rock bands ever. Still listen to Silent Alarm regularly. The whole band is great but their drummer is just unbelievable.

This is by far the most popular TVOTR song and probably the one that got them the Bloc Party comparisons. Damn good song too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Their album Dear Science is one of my favorite ever.

This is one of my favorite songs on there.

It was used in an iconic scene in Breaking Bad too.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bloc Party WAS great but theyve jumped the shark sadly.

They totally have. When Matt Tong (the drummer) left, it was bad, but what's worse is that Kele embraced spirituality. That's never a good move in rock and roll, which comes from the crotch and not the church. Which reminds me, you know that "Take Me To Church" song? The guy or guys responsible for that should be arrested for crimes against humanity.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
They totally have. When Matt Tong (the drummer) left, it was bad, but what's worse is that Kele embraced spirituality. That's never a good move in rock and roll, which comes from the crotch and not the church. Which reminds me, you know that "Take Me To Church" song? The guy or guys responsible for that should be arrested for crimes against humanity.
I may have mentioned this before but my friend is a concert sound and lighting engineer. A few years ago he involuntarily got the summer off because he was working for As I Lay Dying and the tour got cancelled due to the singer conspiring to have his wife murdered. That's the reverse case: a Christian abandoning spirituality. With a VENGEANCE.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

TV on the Radio really is a different type of band. I could see where someone might say that, but it's kind of a stretch.

That's like at that time basically comparing every indie act to each other

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
TV on the Radio really is a different type of band. I could see where someone might say that, but it's kind of a stretch.

Yeah I wouldnt consider them all ghat similar.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I mean, they're both more diverse than the average lily white indie rock band, which unfortunately is a lot of why people compare them, I suspect. Wolf Like Me is on the shortlist for best song of the century so far, but I have a hard time getting into much else by them, just the occasional track here or there.

This might be the best performance on a late night TV show, ever:

Meanwhile, I LOVE Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, think it's one of the best albums of the century and it has become a bit overlooked in my opinion, but they lost me right away with Weekend in the City and I haven't really paid attention since.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean, they're both more diverse than the average lily white indie rock band, which unfortunately is a lot of why people compare them, I suspect. Wolf Like Me is on the shortlist for best song of the century so far, but I have a hard time getting into much else by them, just the occasional track here or there.

This might be the best performance on a late night TV show, ever:

Meanwhile, I LOVE Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, think it's one of the best albums of the century and it has become a bit overlooked in my opinion, but they lost me right away with Weekend in the City and I haven't really paid attention since.

My best of TVOtR Playlist

Wolf Like Me
The Wrong Way
King Eternal
Staring at the Sun
Halfway Home
Love Dog
DLZ
Second Song
No Future Shock
Caffeinated Consciousness
Careful You
Happy Idiot

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My nephew kept asking to listen to Madness "Our House" so I finally made a Spotify playlist of Madness songs we could listen to while driving to see Deadpool. My mom will still occasionally start singing this when things start getting crazy so I had to play it for the kids. I didn't point out it's about a kid trying to buy condoms though. :sarcasm:

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad