OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Doolittle is one of the few albums in history that I have listened to an absurd amount and still never pick and choose/skip songs. True moment of genius. Though even on the other albums there are some truly amazing songs. (Alec Eiffel, Caribou to name a few.)

Surfer Rosa by a nose over Doolittle, but they're both all time albums and one of them is coming with me on the deserted island when I decide to leave civilization. And I think it's hard to say the Pixies are underrated. They're rated as a seminal band.

There's a new Breeders (now that's a band that's underrated) record out that has some really good stuff on it. The title track has the patented Kim Deal dripping with lust thing going on.

And the Grateful Dead suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
On the other hand, that new Arctic Monkeys album is a travesty. Can't say I really liked anything they've done since their first two albums, but was hoping they'd get back to their roots. Nah...
I'm not sure what to think of their new album either. I mean, I can respect when bands try to re-invent themselves, but this is not my kind of music.

I pretty much liked all their other albums though. Humbug ('Dance Little Liar') and AM ('Do I Wanna Know?') feature two of my favorite Arctic Monkeys songs beside '505'.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
On the other hand, that new Arctic Monkeys album is a travesty. Can't say I really liked anything they've done since their first two albums, but was hoping they'd get back to their roots. Nah...

It should have been an Alex Turner solo project. Its not an AM album, but I like some of it.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
It should have been an Alex Turner solo project. Its not an AM album, but I like some of it.
Yea I just love that first album so much that I was hoping it would be at least somewhat in that direction. The new one caught me totally off guard, maybe I need to go in with an open mind. A good amount of new stuff these days takes me a few listens to get into, but ends up worth it. Kind of like this new Dawes single which is so much different than their first album but I end up loving anything they put out.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I've got Beck's Morning Phase in heavy rotation.

Fabulous album.

220px-Beck_Morning_Phase.jpg

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I'm not that big into jazz but i do like me some Herbie from time to time.

To touch on some of the other recent posts:

I actually dig the new Arctic Monkeys album. Really threw me off on the first listen though. Those guys have some serious balls to release an album like THAT immediately after their most commercially successfully album. Some cool vibes on there.

The new Parquet Courts is fan-f***ing-tastic and probably my favorite album of 2018 so far.

Doolittle is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
They finally have some full Peter Gabriel albums on Spotify so I don't have to dig out my old CDs anymore! They added everything up to Up. I had to blast this on the way home yesterday to celebrate.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
I just discovered a band from Canada called Idle Eyes. They have a self-titled album that came out in 1985. If you like that 80's pop-rock sound, you will love this album. There's about 6 great songs (relative to the genre) on the album.

The best way I could describe it is, music Ferris Bueller would have in his stereo in his bedroom. :laugh:

Love Idle Eyes, Tokyo Rose was a favourite of mine when I was a kid.

Reactions: Rebels57

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
I actually haven't seen Drive but my friend saw it and then recommended I need to listen to Electric Youth and College. He was right. I love my old school synth! Speaking of old school synth, I'll plug again John Carpenter's Lost Theme albums. There's two of them now and they're cool as ****.

College is fantastic. Secret Diary is a masterpiece. One of the best synth albums of the last 20 years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not that big into jazz but i do like me some Herbie from time to time.

To touch on some of the other recent posts:

I actually dig the new Arctic Monkeys album. Really threw me off on the first listen though. Those guys have some serious balls to release an album like THAT immediately after their most commercially successfully album. Some cool vibes on there.

The new Parquet Courts is fan-****ing-tastic and probably my favorite album of 2018 so far.

Doolittle is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I also enjoy the new AM album after a few listens. I usually find Pitchfork reviews pretentious but they gave a positive review that was also enlightening into the concept of the album.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've got Beck's Morning Phase in heavy rotation.

Fabulous album.

220px-Beck_Morning_Phase.jpg

Modern Guilt is my favorite Beck album since Odelay. Its a perfectly balanced album. Got a little bit of everything. Morning Phase is obviously good but a little too chill for my taste.

Reactions: Foggy14

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The place to start in Jazz is the classic Miles Davis albums (before he tried to sell out to the kids):

Sketches of Spain
Kind of Blue
In a Silent Way

Reactions: Foggy14

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
am I the only one looking forward to the new Chvrches coming out this week?

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Modern Guilt is my favorite Beck album since Odelay. Its a perfectly balanced album. Got a little bit of everything. Morning Phase is obviously good but a little too chill for my taste.

I had the same reaction when I first heard it, but by the third time, listening alone in my car on a long road trip, it really clicked for me.

One of those rare examples of an entire album exceeding the sum of its parts.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->