OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
There isn’t a current off topic thread for our boards and I believe it was an organically evolving discussion between a few Rangers fans, not something we came here specifically to talk about, thus not something where we would specifically be browsing a general off topic area of the boards with the intent of posting about it. I have no problem with ending the topic, but when a discussion develops organically between some fellow fans - in a thread which has otherwise been 45 pages of completely fantasy/speculation McDonagh trade scenarios and little else - I would hope it didn’t bother you too much.

Part of what makes posting fun is that it’s a community. As I said, it was just a free flowing conversation that evolved between some kindred NYR fans. I realize there’s no need to keep it going over long and like I mentioned, I have no problem with stopping it now (I think it had already ended naturally) but I would hope that we don’t get too uptight about things like this on here. Being part of this small NYR community is part of the fun and if a conversation evolves naturally and goes on for a couple of pages, I encourage that kind of comraderie.

It’s not like these last 45 pages of McDonagh for Sergachev plus the last thread of 350 pages that were much the same are particularly focused. It’s an outlet for speculation and fantasy in an abysmal season. If, in the course of speculating endlessly about moves we have zero insight into a few fans go on a temporary tangent, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Skip the posts, the conversation had already run it’s course anyhow.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
There isn’t a current off topic thread for our boards and I believe it was an organically evolving discussion between a few Rangers fans, not something we came here specifically to talk about, thus not something where we would specifically be browsing a general off topic area of the boards with the intent of posting about it. I have no problem with ending the topic, but when a discussion develops organically between some fellow fans - in a thread which has otherwise been 45 pages of completely fantasy/speculation McDonagh trade scenarios and little else - I would hope it didn’t bother you too much.

Part of what makes posting fun is that it’s a community. As I said, it was just a free flowing conversation that evolved between some kindred NYR fans. I realize there’s no need to keep it going over long and like I mentioned, I have no problem with stopping it now (I think it had already ended naturally) but I would hope that we don’t get too uptight about things like this on here. Being part of this small NYR community is part of the fun and if a conversation evolves naturally and goes on for a couple of pages, I encourage that kind of comraderie.

It’s not like these last 45 pages of McDonagh for Sergachev plus the last thread of 350 pages that were much the same are particularly focused. It’s an outlet for speculation and fantasy in an abysmal season. If, in the course of speculating endlessly about moves we have zero insight into a few fans go on a temporary tangent, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Skip the posts, the conversation had already run it’s course anyhow.

Amen. Some people have to major in minor. And the sell off hasn't even begun. Didn't know they had Patriots fans down south. lol

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This thread is probably a good idea given the current state of the Rangers.

82560549.gif

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't drink...I don't smoke...I don't do drugs...thsts why it annoyed me seeing all this stuff in a thread I was enjoying. Have at it boys just leave me outta it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For better or worse, I’m a Jameson guy. Get that from my dad.

I like beer too. Big Guinness and IPA guy. I love Founders All Day IPA. Good stuff.

I was a derelict for a year (I took a year off from everything). I played hockey with a bunch of French Canadians during that period and one other American that played with them was a retired ATC. Anyhow he loved his Tullimore Dew and got me into it. You should try it, I think it smokes Jameson but if you're nostalgic you will probably think different. It's a lot smoother to me, plus it was $3 a shot for us. Lol Whiskey Wednesday was a fun fun day.

Reactions: Krams

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For the Bourbon crowd, my go to is Buffalo Trace, I get it for $31 a bottle and to me it beats Bulleit and a bunch of others. The problem is bars charge an arm and a leg for Bourbon in NY, it drives me bonkers.

I recently tried Blanton's, it's always sold out at the liquor store and not in a huge rush to get 1 put aside for me. I got a free 1/2 shot at a bar I went to, as they didn't have a full one left, it's pretty damn smooth.

I have had Bookers and kind of liked BT and Blantons a good deal better.

I probably have purists sneer at me but I get mine neat with a side of ice and drop a few cubes in. I feel I can taste it much better that way.

Reactions: Riche16

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I was a derelict for a year (I took a year off from everything). I played hockey with a bunch of French Canadians during that period and one other American that played with them was a retired ATC. Anyhow he loved his Tullimore Dew and got me into it. You should try it, I think it smokes Jameson but if you're nostalgic you will probably think different. It's a lot smoother to me, plus it was $3 a shot for us. Lol Whiskey Wednesday was a fun fun day.

When I was in college playing hockey we all drank Jameson and then a buddy turned me on to Tullimore Dew and it became my standby for a couple of years. Tully is good and it’s dirt cheap. Over the years my tastes evolved though. Now I’m one of the people I used to hate who thinks it’s a sin to sully your whiskey with so much as a splash of water let alone an ice cube. I drink my bourbon strong and neat. Otherwise I’ll stick to beer.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
For the Bourbon crowd, my go to is Buffalo Trace, I get it for $31 a bottle and to me it beats Bulleit and a bunch of others. The problem is bars charge an arm and a leg for Bourbon in NY, it drives me bonkers.

I recently tried Blanton's, it's always sold out at the liquor store and not in a huge rush to get 1 put aside for me. I got a free 1/2 shot at a bar I went to, as they didn't have a full one left, it's pretty damn smooth.

I probably have purists sneer at me but I get mine neat with a side of ice and drop a few cubes in. I feel I can taste it much better that way.

Bulleit doesn’t really do anything for me but their barrel strength surprised me and is a lot tastier than their regular offering or rye. Buffalo Trace is definitely better than plain Bulleit, IMO. Bookers offers a variety of bourbons and I’ve found it to be pretty hit or miss. I’ve liked one or two and hated the rest. Blantons, especially their barrel strength, is very nice.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Bulleit doesn’t really do anything for me but their barrel strength surprised me and is a lot tastier than their regular offering or rye. Buffalo Trace is definitely better than plain Bulleit, IMO. Bookers offers a variety of bourbons and I’ve found it to be pretty hit or miss. I’ve liked one or two and hated the rest. Blantons, especially their barrel strength, is very nice.

I like Bulleit Rye much better than the regular. I tried Bulleit 10 and wow is that kind of a rip off. It's not really much different than the regular and it's about double the price at the bar. lol I wasn't too happy when I saw the bill, live and learn.

Bookers makes a bunch of different batches, so it's difficult to rate as there are literally a hundred different varieties. I didn't even know which one I tried. lol

Incidentally, the show Justified is a billboard for Bourbons, everyone on the show drinks different Bourbons, it's pretty cool now that I know the different bottles and such.

Edit: I was happy when I bought my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. I figured what the heck it was pretty cheap. It pretty easily became my go to. TO be honest I really don't drink all that much. The bottle lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I like Bulleit Rye much better than the regular. I tried Bulleit 10 and wow is that kind of a rip off. It's not really much different than the regular and it's about double the price at the bar. lol I wasn't too happy when I saw the bill, live and learn.

Bookers makes a bunch of different batches, so it's difficult to rate as there are literally a hundred different varieties. I didn't even know which one I tried. lol

Incidentally, the show Justified is a billboard for Bourbons, everyone on the show drinks different Bourbons, it's pretty cool now that I know the different bottles and such.

Edit: I was happy when I bought my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. I figured what the heck it was pretty cheap. It pretty easily became my go to. TO be honest I really don't drink all that much. The bottle lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

Yes, I forgot I’d even tried the bulleit 10 year but it was super disappointing. I agree their rye is their best offering besides the barrel strength which has a black label and I honestly wouldn’t even believe was a bulleit bourbon if I hadn’t bought it myself. Much bolder flavor than their other offerings, even without considering the higher alcohol content. I haven’t watched justified but I do enjoy noticing that there’s a variety of good bourbons in a show that I’m watching. Kind of an Easter egg for a bourbon drinker.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yes, I forgot I’d even tried the bulleit 10 year but it was super disappointing. I agree their rye is their best offering besides the barrel strength which has a black label and I honestly wouldn’t even believe was a bulleit bourbon if I hadn’t bought it myself. Much bolder flavor than their other offerings, even without considering the higher alcohol content. I haven’t watched justified but I do enjoy noticing that there’s a variety of good bourbons in a show that I’m watching. Kind of an Easter egg for a bourbon drinker.

Not to go off topic in an off topic thread, but Justified is a top 5 show ever, you should give it a try, it's a fantastic show even in the peak TV world. The first half of season 1 is bumpy as they figured out what works, it went from crime of the week to a more serialized show. Anyway, from ep's 6-8, it got progressively better and better.

Back on topic: I have to try some of the barrel strength bourbon's, I haven't really tried any of note.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So many of you drinking bourbon, I guess it's a very cultural thing. I don't like that corn flavour that much, but as you grow such insane amounts of corn over there, I can understand why you produce such large amounts of bourbon and why it's culturally the main hard liquor in the states. But hey, it's not like I would avoid drinking it if given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure there are some good bourbons as well. ;)

As for a Euro, I prefer Tullamore Dew, an Irish whiskey that is price worthy. It's not that smoky at all, I really don't like those brands that are. When I really want to drink something good, I prefer a 12 year old Yamazaki malt whisky (it's Japanese). Even someone who doesn't like whisky would like that stuff I think, it's incredibly smooth. The Yamazaki whisky is the best whisky I've ever tasted, but it's also expensive.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I've heard good things about Pikesville but haven't tried it yet. I agree with the enjoying the high octane stuff. I'm a fan of Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, my current bottle is 64.9%. Weirdly enough, while it's made in Kentucky you have to import the stuff. One of these days maybe I'll be able to track down a bottle of George T. Stagg...would love to try that bruiser.

I stumbled across almost the entire BTAC at a local liquor store. I was able to convince the wife that I needed the bottle of Pappy 23 and the George T Stagg. The Pappy remains unopened (I will open it when we close on our new house in May) but I have had a couple glasses of the Stagg. It is very, very good.

Stagg Jr is a lot cheaper (~$55 a bottle) and has a very similar flavor profile.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Makers is my regular but I like to try the higher power once in a while. Place near me now has airplane size Makers. Haven't seen it anywhere else.
Makers and Knob Creek are my go to. Knob Creek actually makes a maple/fire bourbon with a sweet Smokey taste that I dip into once in awhile. I gotta say though watching the Rangers these days I think I might have to switch to black tar heroin

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think I’ve had the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale. I agree it’s just alright. I really enjoy certain barrel aged beers, but it doesn’t always do it for me. Typically stouts and porters do better in the barrel.

I really, really enjoy barrel aged beers. Kentucky bourbon barrel is one of my favorites. This thread needs more @Hunter Gathers IIRC, he is as much of a snob as I am when it comes to booze :P

Dragons Milk is New Holland, but of course you can be forgiven for the confusion! Ha

There are breweries everywhere in NC these days. Lots of people complain about the distributor restrictions (produce a certain number of bottles and you aren’t allowed to distribute yourself), but I think it keeps things local, which is a good thing in my mind.

Dragons Milk is a good one. I prefer the KBB Ale though.

For better or worse, I’m a Jameson guy. Get that from my dad.

I like beer too. Big Guinness and IPA guy. I love Founders All Day IPA. Good stuff.

You know, for as long as I have been drinking and for as much as I drink, it wasn't until recently (month or two) that I actually tried Guinness. I love it.

Buffalo Trace is nice. I am not a huge fan of Bulleit. If I am mixing it with club soda or something, fine. On its own though? There are dozens of others I prefer.

Nothing wrong with a few cubes. There are few bourbons or whiskey's in general that I will drink neat. Most are on the rocks.

I do agree that the Bulleit Rye is much better than the regular.

So many of you drinking bourbon, I guess it's a very cultural thing. I don't like that corn flavour that much, but as you grow such insane amounts of corn over there, I can understand why you produce such large amounts of bourbon and why it's culturally the main hard liquor in the states. But hey, it's not like I would avoid drinking it if given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure there are some good bourbons as well. ;)

As for a Euro, I prefer Tullamore Dew, an Irish whiskey that is price worthy. It's not that smoky at all, I really don't like those brands that are. When I really want to drink something good, I prefer a 12 year old Yamazaki malt whisky (it's Japanese). Even someone who doesn't like whisky would like that stuff I think, it's incredibly smooth. The Yamazaki whisky is the best whisky I've ever tasted, but it's also expensive.

Tullamore isn't available where I live. My sister was kind enough to snag me some while she was on her Euro tour over the summer. Been saving it for a special occasion so I decided to crack it when my son is born in a few weeks.

Makers and Knob Creek are my go to. Knob Creek actually makes a maple/fire bourbon with a sweet Smokey taste that I dip into once in awhile. I gotta say though watching the Rangers these days I think I might have to switch to black tar heroin

Can never go wrong with makers or Knob.

I know I will be heavily judged for this but... I am a Jack Daniels guy through and through. Don't get me wrong. I love Whiskey as a whole (Irish, Bourbon, some Scotch) but, Tennessee Whiskey is just my jam. I have a ridiculous collection of Jack Daniels limited bottles (including some you can only get at the distillery). Their Frank Sinatra Select may be one of the best tasting whiskey's I have ever had.

One of my favorites that I can no longer get is a Bourbon called Pike Creek. It had such a rich and heavy grain flavor. I loved it. Some other ones are Larceny and 13th Colony. You also can't go wrong with anything from High West. I do mean that. Almost anything from there is superb.

For Scotch, I'll pick up a bottle of Macallan's double cask 12 year every now and then. I'm just not a huge Scotch guy.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Don't drink, but I was gifted a bottle of chocolate whiskey from the Brooklyn Distillery.

Anyone try this stuff?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty much I'm an IPA drinker. I'll drink porters and stouts. I use to do bourbon, vodka and tequila shots quite often but that's rare these days because....I'm 60--my doctor (and the VA doctors concur) thinks that I shouldn't be screwing around with my liver that much. So.....whatever. I think I've drank my share anyway. Sometimes I do get a bottle of everclear though and make a batch of apple pie moonshine.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I'm definitely a fan of both. Been more Makers lately because I don't feel like driving to the place that has Knob Creek under market price. I've had the maple, the rye and the 120. All great.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
When I was in college playing hockey we all drank Jameson and then a buddy turned me on to Tullimore Dew and it became my standby for a couple of years. Tully is good and it’s dirt cheap. Over the years my tastes evolved though. Now I’m one of the people I used to hate who thinks it’s a sin to sully your whiskey with so much as a splash of water let alone an ice cube. I drink my bourbon strong and neat. Otherwise I’ll stick to beer.
Same here. Straight up. I want beer I go PBR believe it or not. Reminds me of college and Willie Nelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad