OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
DC7A0F5C-F2CD-489B-B5E2-B72BF4815353.png
Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago and it’s honestly very good. Ed Belfour and his son are distilling their own bourbon and the results are not bad. Beautiful bottle. They really took time to get educated on the process and select their ingredients and make something quality rather than just slap a celebrity name on a product without being involved in its creation.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Love the Bookers and EC barrel proof for something stiffer than usual. The Widow Jane and Four Roses select are great as well. Would love to try those Maker’s selects. Great selection. I’m a bourbon guy for the most part, as you seem to be.

Yep, definitely a bourbon guy. Fun story with those Makers Selects. I bought one to save for special occasions, and it sat on my shelf for like a month. One day I decided to pick up another bottle so i could open it and try it while still saving one.

That night the Rangers won the Lafreniere draft lottery.

View attachment 374940 Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago and it’s honestly very good. Ed Belfour and his son are distilling their own bourbon and the results are not bad. Beautiful bottle. They really took time to get educated on the process and select their ingredients and make something quality rather than just slap a celebrity name on a product without being involved in its creation.

Finished in Pecan wood? oooh, that could be interesting

Reactions: LokiDog

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
View attachment 374940 Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago and it’s honestly very good. Ed Belfour and his son are distilling their own bourbon and the results are not bad. Beautiful bottle. They really took time to get educated on the process and select their ingredients and make something quality rather than just slap a celebrity name on a product without being involved in its creation.

Ed Belfour has been educating himself for years

c95bd015c0f739dcfdf837cb74c03390.jpg

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ed Belfour has been educating himself for years

c95bd015c0f739dcfdf837cb74c03390.jpg

Yes, I thought that was funny when I first found out about his distillery as well. But whether his personal consumption was responsible or not, you can’t say the man’s not passionate about his drink. Bourbon was great though.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yep, definitely a bourbon guy. Fun story with those Makers Selects. I bought one to save for special occasions, and it sat on my shelf for like a month. One day I decided to pick up another bottle so i could open it and try it while still saving one.

That night the Rangers won the Lafreniere draft lottery.

Finished in Pecan wood? oooh, that could be interesting

It’s really nice. Not necessarily a top ten for me, but definitely a high quality spirit. The limited edition rye has a sterling Stanley cup shaped stopper and each bottle is signed by Belfour. The pecan finished bourbon was a real nice sipper though. I have some King George blue label my grandfather left me... I’m not a scotch guy but it’s such a prestige bottle, I’m saving it for a Ranger’s cup win... but I was tempted to crack it open when we drafted Laf. Kid’s gonna be a great in this market.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Eddie Belfour? Who knew? Goaltending AND Bourbon? What a combo!

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Anyone try/use the app Tavour for beers?

it’s an app where you get a beer delivery once a month. Beers are posted daily and you can fill your cart. Then on your scheduled date, it ships what you purchased through the month.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Anyone try/use the app Tavour for beers?

it’s an app where you get a beer delivery once a month. Beers are posted daily and you can fill your cart. Then on your scheduled date, it ships what you purchased through the month.

I have friends that have and it was great for them (and for me!) but by the time I got around to trying to use it, they stopped delivering to where I live.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
It's fine for mixing. There are significantly better sippers in the price point and it's legitimately not close.

So where I am, you can get that Bottled in Bond for about $20.99, retail. On sale? I've snagged it for about anywhere from $15.99 to $18.99 for a 750.

put that whiskey against, say, a true mixer like seagrams seven and its no contest. What I will concede that 10-15 dollars more and you can get exceptional stuff. Like Four Roses' Small Batch. Big fan of that spirit.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So where I am, you can get that Bottled in Bond for about $20.99, retail. On sale? I've snagged it for about anywhere from $15.99 to $18.99 for a 750.

put that whiskey against, say, a true mixer like seagrams seven and its no contest. What I will concede that 10-15 dollars more and you can get exceptional stuff. Like Four Roses' Small Batch. Big fan of that spirit.
Okay. I mean yeah if we're comparing it to Seagram's and whatnot, then yes, it might as well be PVW 15.

Try to get your hands on a bottle of Eagle Rare. Should be $39.99-$45 a bottle. If you think Evan Williams is that good, this stuff will blow your head off. It's not a mixing bourbon. Additionally, try to find a WL Weller Special Reserve (green label). Usually $35 a bottle. They aren't always out front but I guarantee you that it will change your world.

Another good one in that price point is Russels 10 year. $39.99 a bottle. Honestly, the Russel 10, Eagle Rare and Weller SR, are all better than some $300+ bottles of bourbon I have.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Okay. I mean yeah if we're comparing it to Seagram's and whatnot, then yes, it might as well be PVW 15.

Try to get your hands on a bottle of Eagle Rare. Should be $39.99-$45 a bottle. If you think Evan Williams is that good, this stuff will blow your head off. It's not a mixing bourbon. Additionally, try to find a WL Weller Special Reserve (green label). Usually $35 a bottle. They aren't always out front but I guarantee you that it will change your world.

Another good one in that price point is Russels 10 year. $39.99 a bottle. Honestly, the Russel 10, Eagle Rare and Weller SR, are all better than some $300+ bottles of bourbon I have.

Nah Weller SR's pretty mid to be honest. Russel's 10 & SB are way better bang for your buck, or even a Taylor. If you're going wheated like a Weller, Larceny's usually a better call than SR, and a lot cheaper to boot. Or maybe a mid-tier Makers like the 46 or 101

EDIT: Unfortunately imo, Weller got bonked with the BT craze, and prices got way out of wack. The Antique 107, imo the best bang for your buck in the Weller line, should be 40ish. Most places are charging 80-100, which is absurd

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Nah Weller SR's pretty mid to be honest. Russel's 10 & SB are way better bang for your buck, or even a Taylor. If you're going wheated like a Weller, Larceny's usually a better call than SR, and a lot cheaper to boot. Or maybe a mid-tier Makers like the 46 or 101

EDIT: Unfortunately imo, Weller got bonked with the BT craze, and prices got way out of wack. The Antique 107, imo the best bang for your buck in the Weller line, should be 40ish. Most places are charging 80-100, which is absurd

All allocated bourbons saw a huge rise in price.

While I agree the SR is the weakest of the entire lineup, going from Evan Williams to SR is like going from rump roast to an ok NY Strip steak. Still not top tier by any means but it's a huge step in the right direction.

OWA is worth it even at $100 a bottle. IMO it's the third best in the lineup behind WLW and SB. It's hands down one of my top five favorites, having drank 6 bottles of it last year 😬. If you have never had WLW, it's a must try. Most places charge $80-$100 a 2 oz pour. There are some that charge $50. If you can find it for $50, it is totally worth the experience. Not only is it the best of the BTAC collection but I think ifs better than PVW, 15, 20 and 25.

If you like old fashioneds, there is no better than the Sazerac Rye old fashioned. Super affordable and just so f***ing good.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_9640.jpeg

If you enjoy WTRB, the duty-free NCF version in a litre bottle is just another level above.

Picked up two bottles on my way home from NY last month.

• Love
Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad