Sep 6, 2008
Shelf update:

Buffalo Trace (Bourbon)
Elijah Craig Small Batch (Bourbon)
Jim Beam (Bourbon)
BSB 103 (Brown Sugar Bourbon)
Infinity Bottle
Four Roses Single Barrel (Bourbon)
Jefferson's Reserve- Aged at Sea (Bourbon)
Four Roses Small Batch (Bourbon)
Evan Williams Cider
Knob Creek Small Batch Select (Bourbon)
Knob Creek Smoked Maple (Bourbon)
Bulleit (Bourbon)
Dalwhinnie Winters Frost (Scotch)
Redbreast 12 (Irish)
Angel's Envy (Bourbon)
Makers Mark (Bourbon)
Kraken (Rum)
Casamigos (Tequila)
Elijah Craig Small Batch, Single Barrel (Bourbon)
Monkey Shoulder (Scotch)
Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey (Whiskey)
Jack Daniels Winter Jack (Cider)
What are these ciders? I’ve never heard of them but I’m intrigued. I’m assuming these are not related to the bubbly ciders that are sold on tap, for example.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I got a bottle from my regular liquor store for $50+tax. I guess it just depends on the store and how they handle limited releases.

Yeah, unfortunately google's not showing me any bottles cheaper than $100 anywhere near me

What are these ciders? I’ve never heard of them but I’m intrigued. I’m assuming these are not related to the bubbly ciders that are sold on tap, for example.

That's correct. They're a bit harder than those usually are. I've yet to open the Evan Williams one, but the Winter Jack is definitely a favorite in my friend group when we can get it.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
5BD8955D-3E2F-4750-8C28-4DE4EACB4347.jpeg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That's correct. They're a bit harder than those usually are. I've yet to open the Evan Williams one, but the Winter Jack is definitely a favorite in my friend group when we can get it.
Interesting. I assume it's generally drunk like a whiskey? I mean, sipped or mixed. (As opposed to, say, like a beer).

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Interesting. I assume it's generally drunk like a whiskey? I mean, sipped or mixed. (As opposed to, say, like a beer).

I mean, normally i'll just drink it straight from the bottle or with a straw lol. Leave it in the fridge prior so it's nice and cool (tastes better cold), or drop it in the snow if there is any

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I mean, normally i'll just drink it straight from the bottle or with a straw lol. Leave it in the fridge prior so it's nice and cool (tastes better cold), or drop it in the snow if there is any
My question could have been better phrased. I guess I'm asking, is it like an after dinner drink? Like a Brandy for instance. Or would you mix it with soda? I am assuming you would drink a pint of it, right?
Apologies for all the ign'ant questions. I am intrigued, is all.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
That’s odd, but not surprising. What do 750s of buffalo trace and eagle rare go for your way?

Trace usually under 30, Eagle Rare bout the same?

My question could have been better phrased. I guess I'm asking, is it like an after dinner drink? Like a Brandy for instance. Or would you mix it with soda? I am assuming you would drink a pint of it, right?
Apologies for all the ign'ant questions. I am intrigued, is all.

I don't mix it personally? Suppose if you want to tone it down, you'd want to mix it with apple juice. As for when I'd drink it, can't really help there lol. I just kinda take a drink when i feel like it. Google might be your friend there

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

I don't mix it personally? Suppose if you want to tone it down, you'd want to mix it with apple juice. As for when I'd drink it, can't really help there lol. I just kinda take a drink when i feel like it. Google might be your friend there
If you’re a semi regular I’d just say you’re seeing it for $50-60 and ask if they’ll sell it to you for that. They’re not marking up the other buffalo trace distillery stuff so it might just be an online/google issue.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Shelf update:

Buffalo Trace (Bourbon)
Elijah Craig Small Batch (Bourbon)
Jim Beam (Bourbon)
BSB 103 (Brown Sugar Bourbon)
Infinity Bottle
Four Roses Single Barrel (Bourbon)
Jefferson's Reserve- Aged at Sea (Bourbon)
Four Roses Small Batch (Bourbon)
Evan Williams Cider
Knob Creek Small Batch Select (Bourbon)
Knob Creek Smoked Maple (Bourbon)
Bulleit (Bourbon)
Dalwhinnie Winters Frost (Scotch)
Redbreast 12 (Irish)
Angel's Envy (Bourbon)
Makers Mark (Bourbon)
Kraken (Rum)
Casamigos (Tequila)
Elijah Craig Small Batch, Single Barrel (Bourbon)
Monkey Shoulder (Scotch)
Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey (Whiskey)
Jack Daniels Winter Jack (Cider)

Love your bourbon list. I’m not a rum drinker, I will keep some tequila around though.

The Elijah Craig and Four Roses single barrels and small batches are some of my favorite. Angel’s Envy is nice and the Jefferson aged at sea. Monkey Shoulder is interesting; scotch and bourbon blend, isn’t it? I like it personally. Bulleit doesn’t really do it for me. Their rye is okay and they have a barrel proof black label that’s actually great. The Knob Creek small batch is a nice one as well and I actually like their maple. The BSB I didn’t enjoy; the flavor didn’t come off right even though brown sugar sounded good in theory.

Currently working on a Pikesville Rye at 110 proof but earlier in the quarantine I went through a few of the stiffer barrel proofs with a Four Roses at 125, Bookers at 124 and Elijah Craig at 127.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Love your bourbon list. I’m not a rum drinker, I will keep some tequila around though.

The Elijah Craig and Four Roses single barrels and small batches are some of my favorite. Angel’s Envy is nice and the Jefferson aged at sea. Monkey Shoulder is interesting; scotch and bourbon blend, isn’t it? I like it personally. Bulleit doesn’t really do it for me. Their rye is okay and they have a barrel proof black label that’s actually great. The Knob Creek small batch is a nice one as well and I actually like their maple. The BSB I didn’t enjoy; the flavor didn’t come off right even though brown sugar sounded good in theory.

Currently working on a Pikesville Rye at 110 proof but earlier in the quarantine I went through a few of the stiffer barrel proofs with a Four Roses at 125, Bookers at 124 and Elijah Craig at 127.

Afaik Monkey Shoulder's just a standard blended scotch. Bulleit was a gift, though I do prefer the barrel proof as well. Looking at either Michters American or maybe Basil Haydens as my next bottle

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I’ll pick up the ciders in the winter. I wouldn’t necessarily drink a pint of it... I’ve heated up a mug of it though. It’s like a port in terms of alcohol content and sweetness but it tastes like apple cider. Not hard cider; it’s not carbonated. More like if you made cider and added bourbon to it yourself. They’re pleasant but not something I’d drink regularly. Nice around the holidays or sitting by a fire late night.

Reactions: UnSandvich

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Afaik Monkey Shoulder's just a standard blended scotch. Bulleit was a gift, though I do prefer the barrel proof as well. Looking at either Michters American or maybe Basil Haydens as my next bottle

Basil Hayden is always good but their rye is one of my all time favorites and for how good it is $36-40 ain’t bad at all. You’re right about the monkey shoulder but all of the different malts that go in are aged separately in bourbon casks. I knew it had a bourbon related twist just couldn’t remember what it was.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Basil Hayden is always good but their rye is one of my all time favorites and for how good it is $36-40 ain’t bad at all. You’re right about the monkey shoulder but all of the different malts that go in are aged separately in bourbon casks. I knew it had a bourbon related twist just couldn’t remember what it was.

Gotcha. Well hey, someone needs to use em. Otherwise that's just a big waste of wood

Reactions: LokiDog

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Added a few more bottles to the shelf this week:

Michter's Rye
Jack Daniels Rye (gift)
Proper No. 12 Irish (gift)
Redemption Bourbon (gift)

I quite like the Michters, it's almost bourbon but at the same time recognizably not.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
For those of you that like/want to find Buffalo Trace Distillery products more consistently. They usually arrive at the liquor stores on this schedule:

Buffalo trace, Eagle Rare and Colonel Taylor - first week of the month

Wellers, Blantons, speciality drops - second week of the month.

Typically the wholesaler/distributor get their next month’s allotment in around the last week of the current month.

Reactions: UnSandvich

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Anyone into NEIPA’s? Any recommendations?

I’ve never liked IPAs. Lately being home there’s a local brewery that delivers and I’ve gotten into the NE style. Still don’t like west coast/hoppy style.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

I’ve never liked IPAs. Lately being home there’s a local brewery that delivers and I’ve gotten into the NE style. Still don’t like west coast/hoppy style.
Not sure what you have access to but any hazy or neipa from toppling Goliath, tired hands, other half, trillium and old nation are a pretty safe bet. Just check the canned on/Best By dates to make sure they aren’t really old.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I don’t mind IPAs but I like them strong and in the summer only. I have a pretty specific taste in beer. I rarely order anything under 7% and IPAs I only drink if that’s the best option on tap. I drink a lot barrel aged beers, mostly stouts and porters but I love a barrel aged brown or “strong dark ale”. I also like winter warmers and ESBs. That’s about it. I mean, I’ll drink whatever at a bbq or hockey game, I’m not snobbish about it, but as far as what I buy for myself or order when I’m at a bar with a real tap list it’s virtually always stout, porter, brown, strong dark or winter seasonal. A lot of the beer I drink ends up being in the 8-12% range. If there’s something that sounds good, in the 6s I’ll usually try it, especially if the first round or two were stronger.

Aside from darker beers, I’m a bourbon/rye drinker. Working on another bottle of Pikesville Rye right now. Really fantastic stuff and a good value at 55%.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Another addition to the shelf today. Have heard very good things about it from multiple people, and i'm excited to try it

image0 (9).jpg

Reactions: LokiDog

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Just had my first beer all of quarantine. Blue moon belguim white. Forgot how much I liked having cold beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad