Washington wins the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I would have been happy with either player all along.

But this is just sweet.

I'm sure a lot of you are upset that you didn't get Ovechkin, but to be honest, that's just the luck of it. Both players, and all the rest who are drafted high need to prove themselves just like any other player. He's not a sure thing, nor the savior of a franchise.

Though I'd be lying if I said I can't wait to see an Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr line (or something similar, maybe Aulin instead of Fehr.)

Either way, still need to get some quality defensive prospects with the rest of the picks the Caps have.

There is always next year and Crosby.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Grave77digger said:
new CBA? how about a new lottery system... the current system rewards teams who tank to get into the bottom 5...disgusting

There is no fool proof way to do the lotto.

Malkin in my opinion is a nice concellation price :)

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Before all the penguins fans start going nuts, take a step back and realize we still get a good pick. If anything, this will renew the heated pens / caps playoff rivarly. Both these guys can be impact players. Both teams have potential franchise goalies, centers, d-men, etc. These teams, with the addition of the new players are both up and coming teams that will again rise to the top of the heap. I would say next 2-4 season, the pens and caps will be back at it.

now...

the one rangers fan who said "glad he didn't goto a small market"...why is that? I can stomach him going to wsh, cbj, or pho. Its a good thing he didn't end up in NY where he'd be run into the ground just like every other prospect there.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Grave77digger said:
new CBA? how about a new lottery system... the current system rewards teams who tank to get into the bottom 5...disgusting

To be fair the Pens did the exact same thing, they just tanked before the season even began. As NJ fan growing up, there is a bit of karma is the Pens not getting the kid after what happened with Lemieux.

SwOOsh*

ParisSaintGermain said:
So the Gods of hockey have decided to give th :snide: :snide: e next supposed superstar to a guy who punched a fan and who has awfully managed a franchise so far...
Are the hockey Gods predicting Lockout?

Bitter are we.

Oh Yeah we won :razz:

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Grave77digger said:

Digger,
they were all ready pretty close to the bottom five near the dead line.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Caps will have a good shot at Crosby too, IMO. Especially if Ovechkin stays with Dynamo another year.

I'm now convinced that the lottery isn't rigged. Because, come on, nobody wants to see Ovechkin in Washington.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I agree with Clefty, the pens could afford him, but why get into it again,....
Also, they will get a heck of a player...sort of like Kovalchuk and Spezza's year...

Maybe this will help them in the long run...assuming Ovechkin signs next year with Washington, how many extra points might he help them gain? Does this help Pittsburgh in the Crosby running, which appears to be the better prize???
Assuming Malkin won't make the impact Ovechkin will???

SwOOsh*

Jacobv2 said:
Caps will have a good shot at Crosby too, IMO. Especially if Ovechkin stays with Dynamo another year.

I'm now convinced that the lottery isn't rigged. Because, come on, nobody wants to see Ovechkin in Washington.

I do :lol

Mobos1228

Mar 21, 2004
Caps Land
Even with all of the stars, the Caps were in the bottom 5 (or very close to it)--that's why we (the Caps) traded them and decided on a rebuild. If they were already in the bottom, how did they tank to get into the bottom?

Back on topic: As a Caps fan, I am VERY happy about this! The hockey gods like us! :bow: Now, let's just make sure GMGM keeps the pick...

:banana:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:

C'mon, the South East is going to be a lot of fun to watch! :D

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
the lotto always has been a joke...if you think about it, it promotes teams tanking by giving them a shot at the #1 pick and all the have to do is drop to 5th or lower, and that causes a domino effect among all the lower ranked to teams all trying to get a better percentage.... it was and always will be an awful idea but it all comes back to Bettman how did this guy ever get put in charge!?

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
the lotto always has been a joke...if you think about it, it promotes teams tanking by giving them a shot at the #1 pick and all the have to do is drop to 5th or lower, and that causes a domino effect among all the lower ranked to teams all trying to get a better percentage.... it was and always will be an awful idea but it all comes back to Bettman how did this guy ever get put in charge!? and how do we get rid of him! lol

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Grave77digger said:
the lotto always has been a joke...if you think about it, it promotes teams tanking by giving them a shot at the #1 pick and all the have to do is drop to 5th or lower, and that causes a domino effect among all the lower ranked to teams all trying to get a better percentage.... it was and always will be an awful idea but it all comes back to Bettman how did this guy ever get put in charge!?

Bah! It doesn't promote tanking at all. It's a l-o-t-t-e-r-y.

I wouldn't dump on Malkin either...

SwOOsh*

Grave77digger said:

So you would rather have everyone tank for a guaranteed last spot, first overall draft position? I think your very bitter and had you won everything would be fine.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
clefty said:
We got Fleury last year, Malkin this year (in all probability) and if next season is locked out, a 48.2% chance at Sidney Crosby if things turn out that way.

If there's no play next season then there's no draft either.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Grave77digger said:

the lottery was put in place to prevent tanking. If the top pick is not a gurantee, people are less likely to tank for it. If not, every year you might see teams losing extra games to have a shot at better players.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Grave77digger said:
the lotto always has been a joke...if you think about it, it promotes teams tanking by giving them a shot at the #1 pick and all the have to do is drop to 5th or lower, and that causes a domino effect among all the lower ranked to teams all trying to get a better percentage.... it was and always will be an awful idea but it all comes back to Bettman how did this guy ever get put in charge!? and how do we get rid of him! lol

The lotto is good for the game if you ask me. It keeps the crappy teams from dumping any talent they have just to come in last place, ala Pittsburgh in Lemieux's draft year. :shakehead

Pittsburgh wouldn't have been able to afford Ovechkin anyways. Well maybe they could, at least for 24 games and then before his bonuses kicked in at game #25 send him to the farm or back to Russia, then tank and hope for Crosby. :joker: What a joke of a franchise.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
supermann_98 said:
The lotto is good for the game if you ask me. It keeps the crappy teams from dumping any talent they have just to come in last place, ala Pittsburgh in Lemieux's draft year. :shakehead

Pittsburgh wouldn't have been able to afford Ovechkin anyways. Well maybe they could, at least for 24 games and then before his bonuses kicked in at game #25 send him to the farm or back to Russia, then tank and hope for Crosby. :joker: What a joke of a franchise.
:troll: PART DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->