Proposal: Washington - Toronto

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why does it need to be said in every JVR to WSH thread that the caps don't have a need for JVR and he doesn't fit.

Let alone for a top d prospect and a promising d man that had a tremendous year after missing the previous.

We don't want JVR, and we're certainly not mortgaging our d future for him.

I want JVR. He would be a terrific addition as either 2LW or 3LW (depending on how they structure lines). He provides more scoring depth, could work into Johansson's spot on the powerplay, and is on a more than affordable salary. Perfect fit.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
For real?

Last 4 seasons with the Leafs JVR was .66 PPG, .76 PPG, .68 PPG, and .72 PPG.

Burakovsky was .48 PPG last season.

JVR is clearly a more productive player right now... And clearly better. Consistently a higher scorer over a much larger sample size.

A lot of those points come on the PP. There's not a lot of room for lefties in the Caps PP set up, so JVR would see those numbers fall as a Cap.

Here are their ES numbers for the last two seasons. Guess who's who.

Player A: 23 goals and 25 assists in 1544:15 at 5 on 5, for 0.89 G/60 and 0.97 A/60
Player B: 21 goals and 24 assists in 1712:16 at 5 on 5, for 0.74 G/60 and 0.84

A is Bura, B is JVR

JVR faces slightly tougher competition, but Bura spent a decent part of the start of the season on the 4th line. Factor in that JVR is 27 while Bura is 21, and I think it's definitely debatable who would score more points as the Caps' 2LW.

All that said, I wouldn't mind a trade around Johansson + for JVR, although I don't expect I'd agree with Leafs fans on what the + should be. Marcus, by comparison, has put up 0.75 G/60 and 0.93 A/60 over the last two years.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
I want JVR. He would be a terrific addition as either 2LW or 3LW (depending on how they structure lines). He provides more scoring depth, could work into Johansson's spot on the powerplay, and is on a more than affordable salary. Perfect fit.

If we were moving Mojo (ie Mojo wants too much $$$) then sure. My personal opinion is Mojo fits better with our team makeup. This is reinforced if we get mojo to resign close to 4 mil.

I don't see any indication from GMBM they want to move mojo, though. Also, don't forget there's an expansion draft coming. Are we gonna acquire Eller and JVR, just to expose one of them? Don't think so.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
A lot of those points come on the PP. There's not a lot of room for lefties in the Caps PP set up, so JVR would see those numbers fall as a Cap.

Here are their ES numbers for the last two seasons. Guess who's who.

Player A: 23 goals and 25 assists in 1544:15 at 5 on 5, for 0.89 G/60 and 0.97 A/60
Player B: 21 goals and 24 assists in 1712:16 at 5 on 5, for 0.74 G/60 and 0.84

A is Bura, B is JVR

JVR faces slightly tougher competition, but Bura spent a decent part of the start of the season on the 4th line. Factor in that JVR is 27 while Bura is 21, and I think it's definitely debatable who would score more points as the Caps' 2LW.

All that said, I wouldn't mind a trade around Johansson + for JVR, although I don't expect I'd agree with Leafs fans on what the + should be. Marcus, by comparison, has put up 0.75 G/60 and 0.93 A/60 over the last two years.

How would a downgrade and + that isn't considerable help Toronto?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
How would a downgrade and + that isn't considerable help Toronto?

There's possibly some value for Toronto in that they could sign Johansson for about the same AAV as JVR and get him under team control for a lot longer. But as I said, I didn't expect Leafs fans to like what I'd be willing to offer.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Would love JVR in Washington, but this doesn't work from a salary cap perspective and leaves Washington too thin on defense.

Would be willing to investigate something around Johansson+ for JvR.

I don't see why the leafs would make that trade. Isn't he a RFA? His previous contract was for 4 million so leafs would have to give him a new contract that will pay out more than the 2 years left on JVRS contact.
Essentially Johansson can't be the main piece coming back in a JVR trade.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Leafs should be looking at Madison Bowey. I'm sure the Caps value him highly but their top 4 is solidified. For the right price he could be had.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm not squarely FOR or AGAINST JVR to the Caps but I certainly don't feel compelled to overpay for him given that the areas I'd like to upgrade aren't on the wings. Lots of teams are going to try to emulate the Pens and putting JVR on our 2nd line to push a Top 6 player to a 3rd scoring line sounds great, I just don't see Trotz doing that and I don't think any team is going to be as successful at it as the Pens just were. I'd rather beef up the team D with slightly better players on the 3rd line (Eller, check) and improve defensive depth.....which I think may be what's coming next.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Leafs should be looking at Madison Bowey. I'm sure the Caps value him highly but their top 4 is solidified. For the right price he could be had.

I don't think the Leafs make a prospect-for-prospect trade that would net them Bowey and I doubt the Caps take on a lot of salary in any trade....(JVR is likely the only Leafs roster player the Caps would even conceivably be interested in and I doubt they take his full salary while Johansson is in limbo). Overall, not a likely scenario.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't see why the leafs would make that trade. Isn't he a RFA? His previous contract was for 4 million so leafs would have to give him a new contract that will pay out more than the 2 years left on JVRS contact.
Essentially Johansson can't be the main piece coming back in a JVR trade.

He actually only made $3.75M last season. We do expect his next contract to be slightly above where JvR is. Likely somewhere in the $4.5-5M area. More expensive than JvR, but not outrageously so.

The real advantage for Toronto is that Johansson can be easily retained beyond the next two years, whereas JvR is due for a significant raise (or leaving Toronto). Johansson will still be there as Matthews/Nylander/Kapanen enter their primes.

I'd also strongly consider the "+" being Ilya Samsonov. I know some other Caps fans won't like it. But you could consider Samsonov as the "main piece" vice Johansson, should you chose.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wish the Caps could have stolen Taylor Hall for what the OP offered.

Also I would think Bowey is as close to untouchable as there is in the Caps organization.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
He actually only made $3.75M last season. We do expect his next contract to be slightly above where JvR is. Likely somewhere in the $4.5-5M area. More expensive than JvR, but not outrageously so.

The real advantage for Toronto is that Johansson can be easily retained beyond the next two years, whereas JvR is due for a significant raise (or leaving Toronto). Johansson will still be there as Matthews/Nylander/Kapanen enter their primes.

I'd also strongly consider the "+" being Ilya Samsonov. I know some other Caps fans won't like it. But you could consider Samsonov as the "main piece" vice Johansson, should you chose.

Let's say for argument sake JVR is much better than Mojo. Now why on Earth do we move a blue chip goalie prospect (let alone + Mojo) to upgrade 3LW?

Samsonov won't be in WSH for ~ at least 2 seasons, and then he will need to spend a few seasons as the understudy. That is the time to either go with him, or move him. Only sooner if it is a deal we absolutely can't refuse...JVR is not that deal.

This is the natural progression of JVR (or Bozak before Eller being acquired) to WSH threads. It ends up someone deciding its Bowey or Samsonov going the other way, when we have no pressing need to acquire either player.

And let me clear my throat; JVR is a great player. I'm not pooping on him. However, rosters are not constructed in a vaccuum, and it is not worth what it would cost to acquire him (whether now, or giving up blue chip prospects impacting our future).

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

You'd strongly consider the + on a player who's numbers are only slightly worse than JVRs to be a Top Prospect? Some other Caps fans won't like it? Yeah you dont need to be a Caps fan to understand thats terrible value. Simply put Johansson + Samsonov should bring a better return than JVR and if it doesn't the GM should be fired.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
nope. if we are trading JVR, its for a two way guy that can play 23 mins a night.

In like Orlov, but we arent gonna move JVR for a guy that would play on our 3rd d pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad