Washington should be #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Kryoptix said:
montreal chose to trade balej over plekanec .. tell you about our high they are on him...

Uh huh. How do you know they "chose" to trade Balej, and New York didn't demand him?

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
tom_servo said:
Uh huh. How do you know they "chose" to trade Balej, and New York didn't demand him?

well there were rumors saying that NY wanted Pleks but BG said no so they toke Balej.

CH Wizard

HabsBaby18 said:
we are in the 5-10 range and we are a playoff team so it's a big + ;)

Yep ! :) The top 1-5 teams are GENERALLY teams that aren't a playoff team and We were first at a moment and as like I said We fall in the ranking because of the good Washington draft etc.... But We are still top 10 I am sure soon We we'll fall more because our prospects find a spot in the lineup :) .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
x-bob said:
well there were rumors saying that NY wanted Pleks but BG said no so they toke Balej.

Actually it was Garon that the rangers wanted for Kovalev from what I heard. When it came to Balej, I listened to the rangers scout in Hamilton do an interview, and he said that the Habs offered one of three players from Hamilton, so the rangers told him to pick and he said he wanted Balej hands down. Can't say I blame him, Balej was on fire last year. What a season. Rarely do you see a guy go from a 5 goal 20 pt rookie season to ahl all star 70+ points the next year.

The one thing I like about Plekanec over Balej is grit. Plekanec has some sandpaper to his game whereas Balej needs to get stronger upper body. It was great fun watching both of them this year, as they seemed to have very good chemistry together. Pleks setup a number of Balej's goals, as he just seemed to know where he was on the ice.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
goalienut said:
The main reason is that he has a little more size and potenial. Why do you think plekanec is better.

Size and potential??? 1 inch, and 3 pounds is your size difference.

As for the potential that could be argued as well. Aulin had a great first pro season, and a shoulder seperation put him out for most of last season. He wasn't the same player upon returning to action. Plekanec however, had a very impressive sophomore AHL season, where he was Hamilton's top scorer, and got a sniff of NHL action.

Granted Aulin may be a very good player, but I would not say for certain that he is better than Plekanec, whose play was very solid, and is Hamilton's best player right now. If not for the crazy depth of Montreal, we could make a better determination as to who's better... Aulin's been fortunate to play for a tremendously injury plagued team (LA for the past 2 years) and was traded to a very weak organization (Washington). Whereas PLekanec came to an organization that is brimming with depth (Pleks started last year something around 7th Center/6th LW'er last year). He'll continue to make noise, and will make a very strong case to become an NHL player this upcoming season.

Aulin has to prove that he can return to the same level of play after that horrible shoulder seperation he suffered last year.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
goalienut said:
I think the Caps should be #1 in prospect rankings. Heres there prospects compared to Montreal.
1. Ovechkin>Kostsitsyn
2. Ouellet>Danis (goalies)
3.Fehr-Perezhogin
4.Aulin>Pleckanec
5.Fleischmann-Hainsey
6.Daigneault>>Halak
7.Stana>>>Heino-Lindburg
8Morrisonn>Chipchura
9Klepis-Hossa
10Green<Urquhart
11Yonkman<<lapierre
12Hedman-Bryne
13Laich>Korneev
14Gordon-Lambert
15Oduya<Locke
16Shcultz<Korpikari
17Johansson>Yemelin
18Lepisto>Wyman
19Cutta<Milroy
20Bourque-Ferland
21Salonen>Grabovski
22Werner>Eneqvist
23Fussey>Stewart
24Valdix>Archer
25Robertson>Flood
26 Yunkov>Shasby
there is a definet caps victory

15-5-6 is the Capitals vS the Habs in prospects? no way . You really worked hard to come up with a list to serve the Capitals needs.. I will go on the record to state that the Capitals right now have a better stable of prospects than Montreal right now, due to the fact that they have a whack of first rounders in their system... But your list of better/worse is way homered to the Capitals side.. I'm a habs fan, I'll try to rebut fairly, I may be off some..

1. Ovechkin>Kostsitsyn:Yeah, Kost can change that though...
2. Ouellet>Danis: Kind of unfair, Danis has played 2 pro games to date, and can become a #1 elite goalie, as Oullet can... More will be said about Danis after this season. Put it this way, he will make Hab fans forget about Garon pretty easily.
3.Fehr<Perezhogin: Fehr better than Perez? no way!!!
4.Aulin=Pleckanec: (It's damn close, I'd pick Pleks because he was great last year)
5.Fleischmann<Hainsey: (They aren't equal)
6.Daigneault>Halak: (To early to tell, Ill give it to you though)
7.Stana>Heino-Lindburg: (Again, same as above, H. Lindberg looked very impressive as of late)
8Morrisonn=Chipchura: Tough to call right now... Chips will be a future Captain who can do ANYTHING... Morrissonn is here & now
9Klepis<Hossa: Equal to Hossa? I don't think so.
10Green=Urquhart: Green is underrated.
11Yonkman<Lapierre: LaPierre is underrated.
12Hedman=O'Byrne: Allright, I'll say that's fair.
13Laich=Korneev: Call them equal, Korneev is immensely talented.
14Gordon?Lambert: Boyd Gordon is better than Lambert IMO. If you are saying Andrew Gordon... I dont think so.
15Oduya<Locke: I'll agree here.
16Schultz<Korpikari: Agreed. Korpikari has really impressed.
17Johansson<Yemelin: Darius Kasparaitus type vS an underachieving WHL'er...
18Lepisto>Wyman: yeah... but again too early to really tell.
19Cutta<Milroy: Yes. Milroy is going to explode this season IMO.
20Bourque<Ferland: Ferland already has proven good enough for an NHL contract, and will make more noise this upcoming season, Bourque they say will take at LEAST 4 years to get where Ferland is now.
21Salonen=Grabovski: That's a crapshoot.
22Werner=Eneqvist: Another Crapshot.
23Fussey>Stewart: Ok Ill give that one.
24Valdix=Archer: Both struggled last year. Both will have more evidence this upcoming season.
25Robertson?Flood:Who is Robertson?
26 Yunkov>Shasby:Prospect wise? Probably so.

As you can see, top end wise, Washington in my books out does the Habs stable, but in pure prospect depth, Montreal has more quality in lower ranks than Washington does.

Washington goes 7-9-8 (2 no decisions). in my books... Their top end should make them outrank Montreal, but down the list, Montreal's prospects are really underrated in your list.

SwOOsh*

Ghost # 1 said:
15-5-6 is the Capitals vS the Habs in prospects? no way . You really worked hard to come up with a list to serve the Capitals needs.. I will go on the record to state that the Capitals right now have a better stable of prospects than Montreal right now, due to the fact that they have a whack of first rounders in their system... But your list of better/worse is way homered to the Capitals side.. I'm a habs fan, I'll try to rebut fairly, I may be off some..

1. Ovechkin>Kostsitsyn:Yeah, Kost can change that though...
2. Ouellet>Danis: Kind of unfair, Danis has played 2 pro games to date, and can become a #1 elite goalie, as Oullet can... More will be said about Danis after this season. Put it this way, he will make Hab fans forget about Garon pretty easily.
3.Fehr<Perezhogin: Fehr better than Perez? no way!!!
4.Aulin=Pleckanec: (It's damn close, I'd pick Pleks because he was great last year)
5.Fleischmann<Hainsey: (They aren't equal)
6.Daigneault>Halak: (To early to tell, Ill give it to you though)
7.Stana>Heino-Lindburg: (Again, same as above, H. Lindberg looked very impressive as of late)
8Morrisonn=Chipchura: Tough to call right now... Chips will be a future Captain who can do ANYTHING... Morrissonn is here & now
9Klepis<Hossa: Equal to Hossa? I don't think so.
10Green=Urquhart: Green is underrated.
11Yonkman<Lapierre: LaPierre is underrated.
12Hedman=O'Byrne: Allright, I'll say that's fair.
13Laich=Korneev: Call them equal, Korneev is immensely talented.
14Gordon?Lambert: Boyd Gordon is better than Lambert IMO. If you are saying Andrew Gordon... I dont think so.
15Oduya<Locke: I'll agree here.
16Schultz<Korpikari: Agreed. Korpikari has really impressed.
17Johansson<Yemelin: Darius Kasparaitus type vS an underachieving WHL'er...
18Lepisto>Wyman: yeah... but again too early to really tell.
19Cutta<Milroy: Yes. Milroy is going to explode this season IMO.
20Bourque<Ferland: Ferland already has proven good enough for an NHL contract, and will make more noise this upcoming season, Bourque they say will take at LEAST 4 years to get where Ferland is now.
21Salonen=Grabovski: That's a crapshoot.
22Werner=Eneqvist: Another Crapshot.
23Fussey>Stewart: Ok Ill give that one.
24Valdix=Archer: Both struggled last year. Both will have more evidence this upcoming season.
25Robertson?Flood:Who is Robertson?
26 Yunkov>Shasby:Prospect wise? Probably so.

As you can see, top end wise, Washington in my books out does the Habs stable, but in pure prospect depth, Montreal has more quality in lower ranks than Washington does.

Washington goes 7-9-8 (2 no decisions). in my books... Their top end should make them outrank Montreal, but down the list, Montreal's prospects are really underrated in your list.

I hope your not serious. :lol

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
SwOOsh said:
I hope your not serious. :lol

Thing is, its so hard to judge prospects, we won't know just how these guys will turn out for quite some time. Washington has the best prospects for sure, but its pretty close for the top three. Montreal will drop just due to draft positioning in the last draft and guys moving up. Still, its the great to see such good prospects coming out of the Habs camp. :)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
ukyo said:
If that were true, he wouldn't have been injured all of last season. Or maybe it's the other way around.

He doesn't have confidence in his abilities, and it shows from the fact that he doesn't use his shot enough.

sundaystar

Feb 13, 2003
Canada
Visit site
thegreatone said:
No he's right.Montreal fall in the ranking a little because of the good Washington draft and Chicago draft.Montreal is top 5-10 IMO now.Caps are number one , he's right on all but Aulin isn't a better prospect then Plekanec imo.

i agree with the caps being ranked at the top.

SwOOsh*

loadie said:
Thing is, its so hard to judge prospects, we won't know just how these guys will turn out for quite some time. Washington has the best prospects for sure, but its pretty close for the top three. Montreal will drop just due to draft positioning in the last draft and guys moving up. Still, its the great to see such good prospects coming out of the Habs camp. :)

I'm sorry but comparing Montreal to Washington shouldn't even be done, and this guy has Montreal coming out on top. I'm not going to disect everything he said but almost everything he said is complete BS, and his comments are laughable. Montreal's prospect pool doesn't compare to Washington's in any way, shape or form, not in depth, goaltending, defense, or forwards. Now if this was Washington compared to Pittsburgh or Chicago, teams which have prospect pools at the same level of Washington, it would be totally different.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
SwOOsh said:
I'm sorry but comparing Montreal to Washington shouldn't even be done, and this guy has Montreal coming out on top. I'm not going to disect everything he said but almost everything he said is complete BS, and his comments are laughable. Montreal's prospect pool doesn't compare to Washington's in any way, shape or form, not in depth, goaltending, defense, or forwards. Now if this was Washington compared to Pittsburgh or Chicago, teams which have prospect pools at the same level of Washington, it would be totally different.

Read my last statement again... Here it is again.

I never said we came out on top... we were on top for the amount of depth in our organization (which we still have) but your top end talent is far enough better than ours to out rank us... Just because we aren't the team with the most loaded prospects means that we're going to fall out of complete contention for it (many say top 5, I agree with that),and as I've mentioned, the only reason why we out point the Caps is by splitting the peas of the organization (aka the smaller prospects).

If it's complete BS... name one comparison that you think is far off... As I've said, I did it trying to keep homerisms aside, so I can rebut as to why I chose the opposite...

Next Best Thing*

SwOOsh said:

Oh yeah because Washington's prospects wipe their @ss with twenty dollar bills :shakehead Aparently you have nothing to say on this other than Was >>> Mon.

Anyway. I don't deny it, but I will say that it doesn't matter if you have the best juniors in the world or what not but what matters is how to use them in your system, how well they are brought up and put to good use by the coach. Look at Ribeiro, no one denied his talent but constant misuse has delayed his progress by X amount of time. CJ is good with youngsters and I have no doubt that the deciding factor in their development is the will to succeed and the love of the game and that I think gives Montreal an edge. But in raw talent, yes they come out on top of us, although not by a huge margin either.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Not to mention that Chris Higgins (ANOTHER one of our Blue Chip prospects, rated the 10th most exciting player in the A) isn't even mentioned, throwing the list off par.

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
OMG OMG WAS >>>>>>>>>>> MON...kidding

Here's how I look at it..lets look at depth at forward goal and D..and these are of course a Caps fans opinions so take them with a grain of salt since we all seem to be homers and don't know anything about prospects ;)

Ovechkin-Duh
Fehr-Great scouting by McPhee..gonna be a good one
Aulin-Say what you want about timid but Aulin is a fan favorite type of player..he goes out there and gives his all every night. People who say he had such a bad year..he was defending his teammate and blew his shoulder out he has nothing to prove..he came back last year and played good for Portland on a whole new team in a whole new system with people he's never played with before. Lay off him. He's gonna play in the NHL the very next season that starts..may it be this year or next.
Johansson-Avs traded him cause Pierre the great said he wasn't gonna be signed anyways..thats complete BS. The kid can play and he looked great in camp..one of the best on the ice.
Klepis-Traded twice already..but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with him..heh. Kids still got the same potential he was drafted with.
Fleischmann-Another Detroit steal..The guys a sniper. I could see him being a consistant 25-30 goal getter one day for somebody.
Gordon-Great defensive forward but can play the O too. Played with Jagr last year and really impressed how he was able to keep up with his offense and grab points. After being moved from Jagr's line he fit back into a role and played it nicely until the rebuild started and everyone was sent down to grow together.
Laich-Ottawa has solid scouts and this was a late round find for them. He's more than likely gonna end up being a 3rd liner and a mainstay on the PK.
Werner-SUPER underrated..not just chearing for the hometown guy either. Born and raised in MD and grew up idolizing the Caps. I played with him in a pickup game at our local rink(Laurel Ice Gardens) one time and he made about 20 people look stupid including me. He stood out at the Under-20s and will stand out in the pro's if for nothing but his speed. The kids FASSSST. Already faster than anyone in our wholeee system..in fact last year in camp before the rebuild if I remember right he was then too.
Yunkov-Solid prospect who reminds me a ton of Jan Hrdina.
Fussey-Played ok in Portland..better as the year went on and when in Washington he had a great showing. He'll probably end up being a 3rd liner as well due to a logjam at forward.

At forward..people claim Mon is so deep..but so is Washington and not only with average prospects..we have several top end talent guys..These are just the solid prospect we have several others who are boom or bust..such as Joudrey, Bouque, Valdix and someone whos unknown out of highschool in his draft year Josh Robertson.

Morrisonn-I'm starting to think he's gonna end up better than Eminger
Green-The guy got shafted at the draft and teams are gonna regret it
Schultz-Big, lanky, akward and lots of learning to go..but he's still got top 4 potential.
Yonkman-If he could stop getting hurt I'd say he could be a nice 2nd pairing guy..lets see if he can EVER get away from the injury bug
Hedman-Solid prospect with potential to be a decent player, steal where he was drafted
Oduya-Like Werner he's probably our most underrated D..he's come a long way. From the Q back to Swe..then last year made the jump to Swe Elite where he set a alltime record for PIMs in a season. He might not be the biggest guy but he's tough as nails and has very nice offensive upside.
Cutta-Time is passing him by but I think he could still be a good 3rd pairing guy one day if he doesn't get caught in the logjam.
Lepisto-Boom or bust IMO but still a steal where he was drafted and I consider him a darkhorse..he might just crack this roster before just about everyone on this list because he's already playing very heady and mature.

Ouellet-No need talking
Daigneault-Starter potential..gonna see his first pro action next year in Portland.
Stana-A ECHL route guy..he took the looong hard route to the league and made his way to Portland where at times outplayed Ouellet last year. Going overseas to be a starter due to our logjam at goalie this year and the chance of no NHL. He proved to me he can play in the NHL..on what level it's hard to say..starter or backup.

Now I'm not saying WSH >>>>>>>>>> MTL..I'm just giving people an idea of the depth we do have. And I'd take Aulin over Pleckanec 7 days a week 365 days a year..even when he was LA property...I think he's gonna turn out to be somethign special. Smoeone was talkign abotu the size diff..Forget that..even if he was an inch shorter than Pleck it doesn't matter..he's one of those naturally strong people. He can hit the weights like the best of em. He's VERY VERY strong..as he gets older he'll learn how to use that natural strength in his game. I've read articles about Aulins lifting habbits and records..pretty impressive.

Again though <3 Mtl fans and I love lots of their prospects I just don't think there's even a slight bit of doubt Washignton clearly has deeper and more top end prospects at this point in time. :teach:

P.S. Forgvie spelling.. for one I'm tired and for 2..I just don't care :)

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Sutherby said:
OMG OMG WAS >>>>>>>>>>> MON...kidding

Here's how I look at it..lets look at depth at forward goal and D..and these are of course a Caps fans opinions so take them with a grain of salt since we all seem to be homers and don't know anything about prospects ;)

Ovechkin-Duh
Fehr-Great scouting by McPhee..gonna be a good one
Aulin-Say what you want about timid but Aulin is a fan favorite type of player..he goes out there and gives his all every night. People who say he had such a bad year..he was defending his teammate and blew his shoulder out he has nothing to prove..he came back last year and played good for Portland on a whole new team in a whole new system with people he's never played with before. Lay off him. He's gonna play in the NHL the very next season that starts..may it be this year or next.
Johansson-Avs traded him cause Pierre the great said he wasn't gonna be signed anyways..thats complete BS. The kid can play and he looked great in camp..one of the best on the ice.
Klepis-Traded twice already..but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with him..heh. Kids still got the same potential he was drafted with.
Fleischmann-Another Detroit steal..The guys a sniper. I could see him being a consistant 25-30 goal getter one day for somebody.
Gordon-Great defensive forward but can play the O too. Played with Jagr last year and really impressed how he was able to keep up with his offense and grab points. After being moved from Jagr's line he fit back into a role and played it nicely until the rebuild started and everyone was sent down to grow together.
Laich-Ottawa has solid scouts and this was a late round find for them. He's more than likely gonna end up being a 3rd liner and a mainstay on the PK.
Werner-SUPER underrated..not just chearing for the hometown guy either. Born and raised in MD and grew up idolizing the Caps. I played with him in a pickup game at our local rink(Laurel Ice Gardens) one time and he made about 20 people look stupid including me. He stood out at the Under-20s and will stand out in the pro's if for nothing but his speed. The kids FASSSST. Already faster than anyone in our wholeee system..in fact last year in camp before the rebuild if I remember right he was then too.
Yunkov-Solid prospect who reminds me a ton of Jan Hrdina.
Fussey-Played ok in Portland..better as the year went on and when in Washington he had a great showing. He'll probably end up being a 3rd liner as well due to a logjam at forward.

At forward..people claim Mon is so deep..but so is Washington and not only with average prospects..we have several top end talent guys..These are just the solid prospect we have several others who are boom or bust..such as Joudrey, Bouque, Valdix and someone whos unknown out of highschool in his draft year Josh Robertson.

Morrisonn-I'm starting to think he's gonna end up better than Eminger
Green-The guy got shafted at the draft and teams are gonna regret it
Schultz-Big, lanky, akward and lots of learning to go..but he's still got top 4 potential.
Yonkman-If he could stop getting hurt I'd say he could be a nice 2nd pairing guy..lets see if he can EVER get away from the injury bug
Hedman-Solid prospect with potential to be a decent player, steal where he was drafted
Oduya-Like Werner he's probably our most underrated D..he's come a long way. From the Q back to Swe..then last year made the jump to Swe Elite where he set a alltime record for PIMs in a season. He might not be the biggest guy but he's tough as nails and has very nice offensive upside.
Cutta-Time is passing him by but I think he could still be a good 3rd pairing guy one day if he doesn't get caught in the logjam.
Lepisto-Boom or bust IMO but still a steal where he was drafted and I consider him a darkhorse..he might just crack this roster before just about everyone on this list because he's already playing very heady and mature.

Ouellet-No need talking
Daigneault-Starter potential..gonna see his first pro action next year in Portland.
Stana-A ECHL route guy..he took the looong hard route to the league and made his way to Portland where at times outplayed Ouellet last year. Going overseas to be a starter due to our logjam at goalie this year and the chance of no NHL. He proved to me he can play in the NHL..on what level it's hard to say..starter or backup.

Now I'm not saying WSH >>>>>>>>>> MTL..I'm just giving people an idea of the depth we do have. And I'd take Aulin over Pleckanec 7 days a week 365 days a year..even when he was LA property...I think he's gonna turn out to be somethign special. Smoeone was talkign abotu the size diff..Forget that..even if he was an inch shorter than Pleck it doesn't matter..he's one of those naturally strong people. He can hit the weights like the best of em. He's VERY VERY strong..as he gets older he'll learn how to use that natural strength in his game. I've read articles about Aulins lifting habbits and records..pretty impressive.

Again though <3 Mtl fans and I love lots of their prospects I just don't think there's even a slight bit of doubt Washignton clearly has deeper and more top end prospects at this point in time. :teach:

P.S. Forgvie spelling.. for one I'm tired and for 2..I just don't care :)

Yes Washingtom does have a solid farm I completely am sure of that, even better than Montreal's after the past draft.

Here's a run down of some of our prospects at the top of my head I'll go the Forward/Defence/Goal route that you did... Because it just makes good sense ;)

Ok starting at forward. we have

1) Andrei Kostitsyn: The kid came over this past July and played very well at the habs 'pre-rookie camp' camp. Pierre Gauthier (our Asst. GM) says he has never seen a player with the shot variety that Kostitsyn has. He needs to still learn the defensive side of things (that can be taught)... But he is no doubt the best offensive prospect we have right now. There have been comparisons to the older Hossa (Marian) but I really do not want to say that quite yet... I want to see how he fares in his first pro season before really giving a fair comparison.

2) Alexander Perezhogin: Put away all the talk of the suspension he was given, and you still have one of the candidates for top AHL (we had 2) rookies last year (I think he finished 4th). He really struggled in the get go of his AHL career (had to get used to NA play) but as the season wore on, he was pretty much a PPG player from December on. He does not fear traffic, and was drafted as a pure goalscorer (which he still has the ability to do). He played on as another hockey fan put it: the Minnesota Wild of the RSL at Avangard Omsk prior to coming over, which really did wonders to his game (it is very complete) they were using him in any pressure situation from January on, and he was doing a great job at it. He also was tied with your guy Semin for the AHL playoff points lead until he was suspended. It's really hard to say how he models his game, so I leave the comparison to others hopefully.

3)Chris Higgins: This kid is another complete player... he can handle all situations though he was really getting tired by the end of last season (due to the fact he was used to the NCAA schedule before last year). He is a very hard working kid who puts in an honest effort. There are no weaknesses to his game, and he is a very speedy forward. If there were a comparison in the NHL, I'd have to go with who most go with... Chris Drury. He was a Hobey Baker finalist in his last NCAA year (year before last) I think he may of tied for the award, but I could be mistaken.

4)Marcel Hossa: He's been enigmatic so far, and seems to be the hot/cold player. That being said, he has great talent... He has the ability to be a top 6 forward, but has to gain consistency before he can nail the job down. I'd expect he could max out around the 25 goal, 60 point plateau... With hossa IMO it all depends on how much he wants it.

5)Tomas Plekanec: Our most underrated prospect by far. He has the look of Saku on the ice (in that he plays with a fireball type of play). He has tremendous vision, and tremendous work drive (he is probably our hardest kid in terms of wanting it). He will do anything to be an NHL'er and Button seems to agree, as he's the 6th best AHL prospect in his list of 10 (As mentioned, Higgins was # 10).

As for Defence:

1) Ron Hainsey: The guy is built in the same shape as Van Ryn and Jillson were (they have tremendous size, and ability.. Leaves people wanting a bit more in their own end, but that could clear up). And IMO this upcoming season will make a dent in his NHL career (i.e. he will be a hab all season). His upside is that of a top 2 defenceman if he gets it all down correctly... He is a great PP quarterback, and a huge guy as well. I've seen him use his size, so he's not timid... But he does not use it every time he can. He has any skill however you are looking for in a D-man.

2) JP Cote: The guy is a stay at home D-man who was a tryout last year, ended up leading the Bulldogs with a +27. Now he wont scare anyone offensively, but his job is to clear the front of the net and keep his players in check... He should be a blue-collar D-man if he makes it, which I think he just might soon enough.

3) Oskari Korpikari: IMO this kid was an absolute steal... He showed the poise of a veteran playing against kids his own age (maybe because he's in the Finnish Elite League and has been playing there since he was 19). He is not in NA, but there is no doubt he will probably get the send over soon enough. Korpikari has all the tools, but none of them stand out at you. He could become a very solid d-man as well..

4) R. O'Byrne: A sophomore at Cornell, he was a rock on their d, mucking it up with anyone who was interested. He's also a stay at homer, but he could very well have untapped offensive power as he plays for a strict defensive team. He does have a nice shot, but is still a bit wet behind the ears yet.

5)K.Korneev: He's another young kid who's playing in the mens leagues of Russia. He has been compared to Andrei Markov, he is a bit undersized... But talent wise, he's a special player. There aren't many defencemen outside the NHL who could match up with him talent wise (potentially at least). He's also played in the RSL since he was 18.

Goaltending:

1) Yan Danis: Last year's Hobey Baker finalist (second on the ballot behind Junior Lessard) capped off an amazing NCAA goaltending career at Brown where he broke just about every school record there was to break. The habs have been interested for the past 2 years, and in late march we finally got our man. He relies on very quick reflexes, kind of like our own # 1 (Theo) and the only thing really keeping him down right now is lack of experience at the pro game (he only got in to 2 full ahl games, and a cup of coffee in the AHL playoffs). But the talent is there, he could become a big surprise out of the NCAA (considering he was not drafted,nor signed until he was 23). Time will tell. Potentially he could be a great #1 someday.

2) Olivier Michaud: Not entirely sure if we still own his rights or not, but he's a 20 year old goaltender who got a few sniffs at AHL (mostly spent his time in the ECHL) last year and though not entirely impressive, he didn't look completely out of place either. He still has a ways to go, but he has a good drive, and a history of doing very well when the chips are down. (Made the WJC Team Canada the winter after nobody drafted him, also played in an NHL game 3rd period where he faced and stopped 14 shots). Time will tell if he will be good enough he still has to work out a few kinks in his game.

3) Christopher Heino-Lindberg: Gainey took a shot in the dark on a kid who to put it jokingly, got Hammered in Valentuna of the Tier-2 last year... He was on a stinking team, and performed all right... This year he came over during our Prospect camp, and was the one goalie who surprised (outplayed Halak). He then went and beat the defending WJC's on home turf in a shut out, and has looked very good since taking in lessons from Rollie the goalie.

4) Jaroslav Halak: He has already been pronounced as a steal in the 9th round. He played very well in Jr National play, and it has been said he could very well become the best Slovakian goaltender that has ever been produced (that remains to be seen, it is only potential).

That's just a small rundown of what some of these hab prospects are all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

F. Duchemin

Feb 28, 2002
St-Hilaire
Kryoptix said:
montreal chose to trade balej over plekanec .. tell you about our high they are on him...

I saw an article that said Gainey offered sather 3 prospect...hossa, hainsey and balej. Then Glen Sather contacted is scout in the division where Hamilton play in the AHL and this scout suggested Balej in a heartbeat. I think it is really what happened the article seemed true to me...

What i mean is that plekanec wasnt really involved in the deal.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
SwOOsh said:

Your post is laughable :lol:

goalienut

Jun 16, 2004
PA, Sk.
www.freewebs.com
I think comparing Mon & Wash is very sensible. They are very even in my opinion. I am sorry I forgot Higgins and the main reason I gave some of the caps an edge is that I don't know the potenial and skill of some of these guys. Ghost 1 knows the habs prospects and I know the caps prospects. I'll edit my first post accordingly.
Any objections feel free to say.

SwOOsh*

I never said that Montreal doesn't have good prospects etc. I just feel that comparing them to a top 3 team in prospects just doesn't make much sense. I would say the same thing if this thread was about Chicago or Pittsburgh compared to the Habs. IMO those teams are on a different level then Montreal.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
SwOOsh said:
I never said that Montreal doesn't have good prospects etc. I just feel that comparing them to a top 3 team in prospects just doesn't make much sense. I would say the same thing if this thread was about Chicago or Pittsburgh compared to the Habs. IMO those teams are on a different level then Montreal.

I agree, and I'm a Habs fans, we're no longer in the top 3, and that's fine with me, it just means were getting better, but we've still got one of the best groups of forward prospects in the league, in terms of overall, I see the Habs anywhere from 5th to 10th

SwOOsh*

417 TO MTL said:
I agree, and I'm a Habs fans, we're no longer in the top 3, and that's fine with me, it just means were getting better, but we've still got one of the best groups of forward prospects in the league, in terms of overall, I see the Habs anywhere from 5th to 10th

Yeah I totally agree with that. Your forward prospects have a lot of offensive potential (Koititsyn (sp?), Perezhogin, etc.) then you have a good balance of checkers/role players. It's also a lot easier for Washington when they finish almost dead last and have collected picks and prospects for the last year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
SwOOsh said:
Yeah I totally agree with that. Your forward prospects have a lot of offensive potential (Koititsyn (sp?), Perezhogin, etc.) then you have a good balance of checkers/role players. It's also a lot easier for Washington when they finish almost dead last and have collected picks and prospects for the last year.

Yeah, and like the Caps group of prospects, obvioulsy there's ovcheckin, but I really like Sutherby (prospect?) Fehr, Morrisson, Fleischmann...good group of players, I especially like your goalies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad