OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread Vol 8: The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
A bit more on Smith.

Uncharted territory so I’d hedge to the side of he doesn’t play this year but anything is possible.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So split on this one. On the one hand Alex Smith is a great player and a better person and I'd love to see him back on the field. On the other hand, the dude has a wife and four kids and he was minutes/hours/days away from losing his leg (or worse), and he's already 35 so he'd probably only have a few more years left anyway. Maybe just go be a dad, enjoy your gigantic bank account, and find what's next and don't risk getting hurt again?

Reactions: g00n

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Trade down and take Jordan Love in the 3rd. Haskins and Love competing for the QB spot would be fun to follow the next couple years.

Since we are talking about FA QBs.

I would rather the Skins not go big in FA but if they do I’d rather they go after Mariota.

Like the Love idea, not sure you’d even need to trade down as well. A project QB is certainly an option.

Hate the Mariota idea. I’ve watched a ton of Titans. He’s a backup.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
For Smith, go to :18 of this video and look at the different shape of his two lower legs.

That said he still has a long time before he needs to pass his physical, and this isn't a heart or neck/spine situation, I don't think he would be risking his life if he played again, no more so than any other football player risks their life when they play. I hope he can make it back, and give Haskins some legitimate competition to be the starter, it will make both Haskins and the Redskins better for it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Jordan Love idea is interesting and he seems like the ideal fit for the next generation of QB but I see no way he lasts to the 3rd and even then, would we want another RGIII/Cousins situation? Every time Haskins struggled this year there would be calls for Love and man I am tired of that.

I think drafting Love also signals they really don’t trust Haskins and don’t plan on him being around for a while, so if they do take a QB early-ish, it’ll be telling.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Gotta love discussions of tanking, in February. Only in Redskin Land.

By tank I mean play Haskins even if you don’t think he’s good and don’t go crazy in FA or by trading 2021 picks to fill 2020 void. You can never predict your exact record.

And no, they would not be the first team to go into the season “aware” that they are not built to compete this year. In fact, every team that doesn’t have a good QB is aware of it.

The Deadskins inability to know when to fold ‘em is one of the biggest reasons they still suck after all these years. Not trading aging veterans before last season is the perfect example. In a foolhardy quest to always stay competitive this year, Micro and the Gang have been repeatedly short sighted (when they’re not making mistakes out of spite). The end result is a broken franchise with an empty stadium and a disillusioned fanbase.

What’s crazy to me is after 35 years of being bad people still freak out at the idea of punting one season on purpose. It’s as if losing every year is only acceptable if it’s unintentional and serves no purpose. If Rivera built a compelling plan and it involved not focusing on competing for the first few years and stockpiling draft capital and shedding aging vets, I’d be all for it. Geez people we’ve waited 30 years what’s one or two more?

I get it. I get it. “Tank” is a dirty word. How about:

Place 2020 emphasis on evaluating the roster for 2021 and beyond.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I get it. I get it. “Tank” is a dirty word. How about:

Place 2020 emphasis on evaluating the roster for 2021 and beyond.

Ahh, much better phrasing:D

The time to Tank should have been this past season, when they were close. While Chase Young could be a nice addition, Joe Burrow could literally change the franchise a decade.

I just don't see the new HC doing anything other than trying to win as many games as possible this year, so while I wouldn't have been opposed to Dan Snyder publicly saying "Tank On, boys" back in November, it simply ain't happening in any way with Rivera here now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

No words.

giphy.gif

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Myles Garrett gets reinstated and immediately doubles down that Mason Rudolph used a racial slur :laugh:

Dude really wants his name in the news cycle for someone who is a “private” person

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Predictable but good news. That said, I do wonder what he would have done if he didn't have two of the worst defensive coordinators in football as his coach for most of his tenure here.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Kerrigan is a good dude and a productive player. You don’t just cut a player like that. Extend him to a lower cap hit and use him off the bench and mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad