OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 3: Half-full (6-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Skins needed a +3 turnover margin in addition to a few long field goals in order to beat Carolina by 6. I'm having trouble seeing them as favorites over Dallas especially since I bet FedEx is going to be overrun with Cowboys fans.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not surprising after how both teams played yesterday.

I would have preferred to play the Dallas team that could barely score against anyone a few weeks ago.

Perhaps the Cowboys used up all of their offensive juice?

They are a pretty similar team to the Redskins this year. Built around running and defense. The Skins skill players are a little better (when healthy) top to bottom, but Zeke is the best player on the field offensively. So...its pretty close.

Defenses are both a little underrated right now.

Whichever team gets the lead early should be in a good place. That may favour the Skins as they have been getting off to good 1st halves, for the most part (save the Saints game, and somewhat the Colts game).

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Smith looks helpless if his first read isn't available. It's like his brain freezes and his feet get nervous if whatever it is he was looking for first isn't there. Not showing a lot of coolness under pressure
Also wonder if the absence of deep looks reflects a lack of confidence in his arm strength or the O-line, but opposing team's coverage and blitz schemes show no concern that Smith is going to throw anything over the top. Can't really understand why Jay wouldn't call a deep look or two early, just to loosen up the coverage scheme a bit, unless the answer is that all it will do is reinforce Smith's weak arm.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Glass half-empty: The offense is a real concern. Smith does not look comfortable, there's no creativity and little ability to stretch plays downfield, and the pass protection is worse than it should be. I don't think they've had a long TD drive since 1H vs Green Bay; all of their points are coming from turnovers or long drives that stall and result in a FG. There's no identity other than to hope that a wounded Peterson carries them down the field. We won on Sunday because Carolina didn't get off the team bus until the 2nd half. Planning on Dallas doing the same is not a recipe for success.

Glass half-full: That said, once again, they have a huge opportunity in front of them. Home vs Dallas and away against a plummeting Giants debacle in the next weeks. They were missing two of their top playmakers on offense on Sunday and still beat a good Panthers team. The defense is showing signs of improvement and made the plays necessary to win the game. They got their asses handed to them on MNF, got home very early Tuesday morning, and still turned around on a short week to beat a good football team that has owned them in recent years.

Bottom line: A very real opportunity go to 5-2 and put themselves in the driver's seat for the 2nd half of the season, but logic says they'll be 4-3 or even 3-4 and left answering questions about not playing with a sense of urgency or not having the right practice habits or whatever else is out there that is a product of being a mediocre organization. They were 1-5 against NFCE opponents last year and still have every game in the division left to play so they'll need to start proving they can beat division rivals or seats are going to be scorching hot.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Smith looks helpless if his first read isn't available. It's like his brain freezes and his feet get nervous if whatever it is he was looking for first isn't there. Not showing a lot of coolness under pressure
Also wonder if the absence of deep looks reflects a lack of confidence in his arm strength or the O-line, but opposing team's coverage and blitz schemes show no concern that Smith is going to throw anything over the top. Can't really understand why Jay wouldn't call a deep look or two early, just to loosen up the coverage scheme a bit, unless the answer is that all it will do is reinforce Smith's weak arm.

They did that against GB (Richardson bomb/TD) early at it worked. I think it was more about the injuries than anything else. Their game breakers were out (Thompson and Crowder), and their other "weapons" were all dinged up (Richardson, Doctson, V Davis).

They really had no true healthy weapons, outside of Reed....so they neutralized 86.

Once the WR's and 25 are healthy, I think they will go deep more often.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Glass half-empty: The offense is a real concern. Smith does not look comfortable, there's no creativity and little ability to stretch plays downfield, and the pass protection is worse than it should be. I don't think they've had a long TD drive since 1H vs Green Bay; all of their points are coming from turnovers or long drives that stall and result in a FG. There's no identity other than to hope that a wounded Peterson carries them down the field. We won on Sunday because Carolina didn't get off the team bus until the 2nd half. Planning on Dallas doing the same is not a recipe for success.

Glass half-full: That said, once again, they have a huge opportunity in front of them. Home vs Dallas and away against a plummeting Giants debacle in the next weeks. They were missing two of their top playmakers on offense on Sunday and still beat a good Panthers team. The defense is showing signs of improvement and made the plays necessary to win the game. They got their asses handed to them on MNF, got home very early Tuesday morning, and still turned around on a short week to beat a good football team that has owned them in recent years.

Bottom line: A very real opportunity go to 5-2 and put themselves in the driver's seat for the 2nd half of the season, but logic says they'll be 4-3 or even 3-4 and left answering questions about not playing with a sense of urgency or not having the right practice habits or whatever else is out there that is a product of being a mediocre organization. They were 1-5 against NFCE opponents last year and still have every game in the division left to play so they'll need to start proving they can beat division rivals or seats are going to be scorching hot.

This. Probably lose at home to Dallas, and then beat NYG. Or worse, the opposite. I would be really really surprised if 5-2.

I mean, it's right there for them to take. But I just dont see them as the type of team to take advantage of a situation. Hope I am wrong

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It's crazy how reliant they are on AP. Imagine where this season would be if they didn't decide to bring him in for a workout.

I think their reliance on AP has a lot to do with the person at QB. Vet or not Smith is new to the system and he needs time to get confortable with Gruden's offense. And even when he gets confortable, his career shows he needs a strong running game to compliment him where his predecessor did not. Thats the reason they snapped up Guise when they did. So AP or Guise the running game would be a focus this year regardless, IMO.

I find myself liking "Booger" more and more...

Booger is the best of the three but his name is Booger. Its silly. When I hear him referred to as Booger I think of the character from Revenge of the Nerds. Then there is the thing he tools around on on the sidelines. Thats beyond silly.

I am not impressed with the current production of MNF.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Still not sure how ESPN executives okayed Witten to MNF. Did they not have any sort of test-run to make sure he wasn’t absolutely terrible at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad