OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Here I was under the impression that being a "distraction" meant you don't get an NFL job.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Air about him is one way to put it. His mom called Petrino the second she heard they were trying Jackson as a punt returner. I can see LiL Danny giving Felicia his personal cell number so she can call at anytime. We’ve been down this road before with Griffin. Why do it again?

And the punt return situation at Louisville shows that, unless he is playing QB, Jackson and his Mom are not willing to do all they can to help whichever team drafts him to win. It also tells other players on his team who must play special teams along with their regular position that Jackson is special.

It just doesn’t sound like the best situation for a team like the Skins that has an owner like it does to get in bed with a me first player, and his mom, like Jackson.

NE could probably handle it. And with the 1st they just got from the Rams maybe it’s a possibility.

First of all, that was his high-school coach who tried him at PR. This was after the coach had “promised” QB-only before he decided to go there. I think this is exactly the culture they’ve had to stand up to.

You call it doing everything to help your team but when was the last time you saw Peyton Manning playing special teams? Or Cam Newton?

You don’t play your QB at other positions except for extremely rare Wildcat type formations or trick plays. The position is too complex, too valuable...so don’t pretend like that is some slight to the special teamers of the world.

I honestly think his preference to play exclusively QB makes him a difficult guy for us to draft simply because we’ve already got Smith, and we probably NEED him elsewhere in the short term. But I don’t blame him or his Mom for standing up to coaches who would trot him out at other positions, especially as he was developing.

With regards to Snyder and Co, maybe instead of avoiding players with difficult or special circumstances, they should just grow up and adapt like a more successful organization would be able to do?

As of right now the Redskins probably won’t draft Jackson because they have dire needs elsewhere. But if he becomes the best player in this draft and we pass on him, I’d chalk that up to a big mistake. His mother’s role is certainly unusual, but so is his skill set. He has the chance to be the most outstanding athlete in the entire NFL - a notion that very few players can entertain when entering the league.

While some would see all this and say “selfish”, I’m gonna say “unorthodox but solid parenting”. The results of their approach so far speak for themselves.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His mommy won’t be allowed to call the coach in the NFL. Pats make a lot of sense due to a strong environment and aging Brady, if he slides.

Watch him land in Buffalo.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
First of all, that was his high-school coach who tried him at PR. This was after the coach had “promised” QB-only before he decided to go there. I think this is exactly the culture they’ve had to stand up to.

You call it doing everything to help your team but when was the last time you saw Peyton Manning playing special teams? Or Cam Newton?

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Louisville entered the 2015 season with plenty of quarterbacks, but the Cardinals were struggling to find a punt returner.

True freshman QB Lamar Jackson’s athleticism was so tantalizing, and the need for a dynamic returner so urgent, that someone on the coaching staff asked him to go field a punt and see what happens.

Seemingly minutes after practice had ended, members of the coaching staff got a call from Jackson’s mother, Felicia Jones. Head coach Bobby Petrino had lured Jackson to the Bluegrass State with the assurance that the freshman would be a quarterback and only a quarterback. Punt returner doesn’t look like quarterback, Jones said. She reminded them all of the promise Petrino had made to her and her son while sitting on a couch in their South Florida home. Jackson never went back for a punt return in practice again.

Also, Jackson isn't comparable to Peyton Manning or Cam Newton. The closest comparable to Jackson is Mike Vick.

Jackson is a QB but what if, while he is sitting behind the #1 QB and learning an NFL offense, he could help his team as a slot back or 3rd down back? Like what the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart way back when. If he is asked to play slot back or RB in a limited role is whoever his HC is going to get a call from Mom? Its like RG the 2nd pumping Griffin's head up with notions he was the next Aaron Rodgers.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Also, Jackson isn't comparable to Peyton Manning or Cam Newton. The closest comparable to Jackson is Mike Vick.

Jackson is a QB but what if, while he is sitting behind the #1 QB and learning an NFL offense, he could help his team as a slot back or 3rd down back? Like what the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart way back when. If he is asked to play slot back or RB in a limited role is whoever his HC is going to get a call from Mom? Its like RG the 2nd pumping Griffin's head up with notions he was the next Aaron Rodgers.

Oh it was safety that they wanted to use him at in high school. I remembered that wrong. It still doesn’t change this quote from the same article:

Thomas had to sell momma first, though. Louisville had to promise that Jackson would be a quarterback-only. The first time Thomas met Felicia Jones, he did all the talking, and she stared at him without saying a word. He says they laugh about that now.
Thomas’s word wasn’t enough, however. Jones needed to hear it from Petrino. So the coach walked into her home and promised that her son would play quarterback-only and have a chance for significant playing time as a true freshman. Jackson was on his way to joining the Cardinals.

Petrino had agreed to their conditions so it makes sense that they called him out on it when he reneged. That’s called holding up your end of the bargain as head coach and recruiter - not dealing with a selfish player.

Also, how much time did Vick get at RB, WR, Saftey, punt returner or wherever? Or any other successful NFL QB? The fact is that the successful ones don’t switch between positions. Jackson shouldn’t have to either until it’s proven that he’s not NFL QB material. I’m willing to bet that he winds up being a very good one - but that’s just me.

The head coach or Snyder or anyone doesn’t need a call from Felecia Jones either, it’s clear that their camp is not interested in Lamar playing other positions so that’s part of the upfront conditions of drafting him. It’s also a big reason why the Redskins most likely won’t draft him even if he’s the best player on the board. Viewing it from the Jackson/Jones perspective I think it’s totally reasonable - especially given the statistics that suggest mobile, black QBs are often asked to switch positions way more than their white counterparts.

I think Lamar Jackson will be better than RG3, and I’d personally bet on him if I were an NFL exec. I guess we’ll find out sometime in the next few years...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If Jackson is a starter for a team at QB his first year then there are no issues. But if he needs a year or two mentorship to learn an NFL offense why he should he not be willing to help his team win right away if he is a difference maker in the slot or out of the backfield as a 3rd down RB? That’s my point. Is he going to say no or have his mommy call the HC?

This is a unique situation because, according to Cooley’s film breakdown of Jackson, Jackson can be a no **** difference maker as a Slash type player of the 90s in his first NFL game where the same is not a garuntee if he only plays QB.

Also, no one should assume the Skins have zero interest in Jackson. Especially with LiL Danny with the power to veto everyone and make the decision to draft Jackson himself. LiL Danny has done it before, twice to be exact.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dan Snyder said to be "furious" with Bruce Allen.

Odd timing for this to come out, but I made a comment before when it was clear that Doug had no part in the Alex Smith trade that Bruce and Dan were back to their old ways. Looks like I was only 50% right... Bruce is back trying to rebuild his fiefdom and Dan is growing tired of the act. Do we root for a winning season so football is fun again, or a losing season so Bruce is kicked to the curb? Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
O/U at how many games RG3 remains injury free.... in preseason. I will set the line at 2.5.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That is a good read. So yeah Bruce is a buffoon and even Dan will one day figure it out. I'd bet Doug already hates him.

Hopefully Bruce has nothing to do with the upcoming draft. He was the salary cap expert / deal maker, and he fumbled away Cousins like a complete noob. The loss of Cousins alone should cost him his job. He is not a talent guy and should be doing nothing more than making PR appearances.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
If Jackson is a starter for a team at QB his first year then there are no issues. But if he needs a year or two mentorship to learn an NFL offense why he should he not be willing to help his team win right away if he is a difference maker in the slot or out of the backfield as a 3rd down RB? That’s my point. Is he going to say no or have his mommy call the HC?

This is a unique situation because, according to Cooley’s film breakdown of Jackson, Jackson can be a no **** difference maker as a Slash type player of the 90s in his first NFL game where the same is not a garuntee if he only plays QB.

Also, no one should assume the Skins have zero interest in Jackson. Especially with LiL Danny with the power to veto everyone and make the decision to draft Jackson himself. LiL Danny has done it before, twice to be exact.

That’s exactly the point. Jackson’s camp doesn’t want him lining up all over the field. Literally every coach he’s had has tried to do the same even after they gave assurances that that wouldn’t be the case. Meanwhile, Jackson the QB absolutely demolished football at the college level. His camp has every reason and right to refuse the previledge to line up at punt returner, saftey, RB...wherever. Literally no top-end starters do it either...so get over it. He’s coming out ahead of time at each stop and saying it. Either accept the fact that he’s a QB or DND. It’s pretty simple really...

And it’s not selfish...it‘s smart.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sounds like DS may be setting the stage for clearing out the tampa mafia including Gruden if things get uglier on the field

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Local kid. Not necessarily interested in seeing the Skins trade for him but if he is cut that would be a different story.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I can't decide if I like them. The helmet kind of looks like a bowling ball and I think the shoulder straps look bad... feels like an XFL jersey. Color scheme is great.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I can't decide if I like them. The helmet kind of looks like a bowling ball and I think the shoulder straps look bad... feels like an XFL jersey. Color scheme is great.

I dont' mind the colors, its what they had before just with a modern twist, I guess. The helmet on the other hand is now just dark blue with the logo and a tiny white reversed stripe. Yeah it looks like a bowling ball. Very bland.

Video of all the uniforms.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I keep saying Vea at #13 is who I prefer but only because I know this guy won't be there at #13.

If he is the Skins have to take him. O-line would be set for the next 5 years at least.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->