Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, battle of big fives

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's be honest here, Crosby has clearly declined from his prime. 5-10 years ago he was a constant threat to score 100+ points. These days he's "merely" an 80 point guy. He isn't as dynamic or fast or consistent (scoring wise) as he used to be.
I'm a big Pens fan and love Sid but to say he hasn't declined is just being a homer.

Back to the topic at hand.... the Leafs do not belong in this conversation. Pens, then Caps, then TB, then maybe Leafs.

Crosby is more of a 90 point guy than 80 point guy.

More importantly- theres an argument to be made that Crosby has been the best player in the world in the last 4 best on best tournaments 4 years running (world cup 2016, 2 smythes - and to claim he was the best in the playoffs last year isnt a huge stretch at least thru 2 rounds).

So no. For playoffs? I still take Crosby and Malkin top 2 in the world. Maybe Mcdavid above? But still those guys are above anyone else compared here and theres 2 of them on 1 same team which is insane.

Even if u bump Ovi to the same level and even if you argue Matthews is in process of reaching that level - the fact that pens have both Crosby AND Malkin has always been a huge differentiating factor and still is today.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Other fans don't see to be as presumptuous. You never heard Vegas talking about being the next dynasty.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone heard a more compelling argument about the bullpoop and lame attempt at pretending there is not an anti-Maple Leaf bias?

I mean how could anyone argue against logic and reasoning as sound as this beauty?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Because the leafs don’t deserve to be part of the conversation no matter how much you want them to be.

What stats do you have to prove your point?

As many have said, TBL has a better top 5 than Toronto. If you don’t agree, line them up and compare.
Oh they most certainly are in the conversation. But you're totally right so are the bolts.

I would put them something likplayer 1.

Crosby
Kucherov/Matthews
Ovechkin

Player 2
Malkin
Kuznetsov/tavarez (could go either way)
Stamkos

Player 3
Backstrom
Marner
Kessel
Brayden point? Not sure who you want to use here.

Dman
Hedman (by a wide margin)
Carlson/rielly
Letang (but a healthy letang in his game is second here)

Goalie
Vasilevsky/Holtby
Murray
Andersen

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I really don't think people have watched Letang at all this year, based on this thread. Letang has been absolutely phenomenal this year, he's showing last year's struggles were only a fluke from him missing an entire summer of training due to neck surgery. There's really no reason to think last year's Letang is the Letang going forward, the only argument for Carlson over Letang is if you think Letang last year is his new normal.

He struggled for basically all of last year, but he has been playing like 2016 Letang this year. If he continues this level of play, he's 100% going to be a Norris finalist this year.
I havent seen him at all yet. And I hope what you say is true. At his best hes an elite dman. Top 10 easily.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone heard a more compelling argument about the bullpoop and lame attempt at pretending there is not an anti-Maple Leaf bias?

I mean how could anyone argue against logic and reasoning as sound as this beauty?

Keep living in your world of paranoia and conspiracy theories.

I see all the “refs fault threads” when the Leafs lose and the “Matthews not as much ice time as McDavid” conversations.

I’m fine with keeping Bettman and the Refs in the Penguins pocket.

Reactions: dukeofjive

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, things like this were said about the caps over and over for a decade.

eh it's fair enough. Both teams lost in the first round year 1 of their playoff appearance, washington went to round 2 in their 2nd year, leafs lost again in round 1.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Goalies are whatever, all three are #1's and when the team is playing well in front of them they can get the job done.

Letang/Carlson/Rielly not much to separate these guys, except playoff experience. Letang looks healthy and better this year.

To me it comes down to the forwards and there's not a trio in the world i take over Sid/Geno/Phil. Credit to the Caps and Leafs for making it a tight one but i love me some Sid/Geno.

Assuming everyone are on top of their games of course.

Reactions: Luigi Lemieux

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Keep living in your world of paranoia and conspiracy theories.

I see all the “refs fault threads” when the Leafs lose and the “Matthews not as much ice time as McDavid” conversations.

I’m fine with keeping Bettman and the Refs in the Penguins pocket.

Hmmmm.

What paranoia? If you are obtuse enough to pretend that there is not an anti-Maple Leaf thesis on this board then may I suggest you are paranoid about accepting facts.

Conspiracy? How did this lame accusation enter the discussion? Show me one post I have ever made alluding to this fantasy.

Ref fault and Matthews TOI? What in the world does this have to do with anything we are talking about? Like I tried to teach you before no one fan base has a monopoly on anything. Your puerile brushstroking makes you look less intelligent then I know you are and I don't even know you.

Bettman and refs in Pens pockets? Do you not see the irony and how inane it is for you to make this comment? It completely strengthens exactly what I am saying and proves my point. I guess that's just your way and admitting that you are wrong and thanks for that.

Toodle doo. Go Leafs Go!!!!!

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Oh they most certainly are in the conversation. But you're totally right so are the bolts.

I would put them something likplayer 1.

Crosby
Kucherov/Matthews
Ovechkin

Player 2
Malkin
Kuznetsov/tavarez (could go either way)
Stamkos

Player 3
Backstrom
Marner
Kessel
Brayden point? Not sure who you want to use here.

Dman
Hedman (by a wide margin)
Carlson/rielly
Letang (but a healthy letang in his game is second here)

Goalie
Vasilevsky/Holtby
Murray
Andersen

Yeah that’s a hard no.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Washington and Pitts a coin toss. Leafs a ways behind. Their D exposes them.

Give it 2-3 more years and this won't be a discussion. Leafs will be the team to beat in east.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby and Malkin are the clearcut best two players here. The both of them, along with Kessel, are playoffs monsters. I'll take that group, for the best chance to win a Cup. That said, Washington is close behind.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->