Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, battle of big fives

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Are you a Tampa fan? I ask because most Tampa fans that I’ve encountered on here agree that he’s a shell of his former self. Still a wicked PP threat, but is reliant on Kuckerov for any ES production.

No but he's still putting up numbers you can't argue with and he looked pretty good against us in the playoffs last year. Idk what's going on this year Kucherov hasn't been lighting the world on fire either

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
While living in Pitt, I didn’t get Root and Pittsburgh has a deal which blacks out every national game besides NBC, so I didn’t watch Murray a lot unless friends and I went to the games or out to bars, but if Murray’s 5-hole and, especially, glove side didn’t improve, there’s a strong gap for Holtby and Murray.

Offensively speaking, Letang is, career wise, a better option than Carlson, but I have to go with what a Dman is actually there to do; defend. Sullivan even said Letang has to be better, because he was faltering really badly/regressing in his own zone. The edge in Ozone play goes to Letang, but I’d take Carlson pretty much any day since he’s good in his own Zone.

That’s also the thing too... “if old Letang is back”. Not trying to call you out or go after everything you’re saying, but it doesn’t look like the good Letang is back. The injuries have kind of derailed his D play, not necessarily his Ozone play. Sure everyone can say he rides the Ozone play if Crosby/Malkin and so on, but the same thing could be said about Carlson with Ovi and their depth.

Career wise, yeah the Penguins kind of wash everyone away and it may not be close. Based off of recent play, I think that Holtby and Carlson bridge the gap that Crosby/Malkin/Kessel have over Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov

Actually, it DOES look like the good Letang is back, so if Carlson pays attention, he might learn a thing or 2.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Actually, it DOES look like the good Letang is back, so if Carlson pays attention, he might learn a thing or 2.

**pictures Letang dive as Backstrom dekes to hit Ovi for the winner in G4, skate to the bench as Kuzy literally backs into the ozone to tie G5, puckwatch as Vrana strolls into the crease to win G5, and toss his stick as Kuzy glides by to win G6**

giphy.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Sorry, didn't realize TBL was part of the convo.

Because the leafs don’t deserve to be part of the conversation no matter how much you want them to be.

What stats do you have to prove your point?

As many have said, TBL has a better top 5 than Toronto. If you don’t agree, line them up and compare.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Capitals and Penguins ahead of Leafs. I propably put Capitals ahead of Penguins because Carlson and Holtby are better than Letang and Murray. Leafs are right behind them in a tier with Tampa but they aren't on the top yet.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Because the leafs don’t deserve to be part of the conversation no matter how much you want them to be.

What stats do you have to prove your point?

As many have said, TBL has a better top 5 than Toronto. If you don’t agree, line them up and compare.
If you have a problem with the Leafs being part of this then take it up with the OP.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Reilly is doing pretty well already and will get better. That being said, Pitts is still the best bet here.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Take out Toronto and insert Tampa.

Point
Stamkos
Kucherov
Hedman
Vasi

Easily better

Hell add Boston before Toronto lol.

Pasta
Marchand
Bergeron
McAvoy
Rask

Easily better.
Easily? Some of you guys are having a really hard time seeing through the hate.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Caps mostly because Carlson is significantly better than the other two D and Holtby is the best of the three goalies. Pens are second and Leafs are third.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Caps mostly because Carlson is significantly better than the other two D and Holtby is the best of the three goalies. Pens are second and Leafs are third.
Picking the caps is fair since they're the defending champions, but imo it's the pens since they have the two best players of the entire group. The core also has 3 cups to the caps 1.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Picking the caps is fair since they're the defending champions, but imo it's the pens since they have the two best players of the entire group. The core also has 3 cups to the caps 1.

I can see an argument for both at 1 but I don’t like how much Letang has regressed in his own end. Both are significantly ahead of the Leafs.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Kessel and Murray weren't there for Cup #1. But I understand your point, Pens have playoff pedigree.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't think people have watched Letang at all this year, based on this thread. Letang has been absolutely phenomenal this year, he's showing last year's struggles were only a fluke from him missing an entire summer of training due to neck surgery. There's really no reason to think last year's Letang is the Letang going forward, the only argument for Carlson over Letang is if you think Letang last year is his new normal.

He struggled for basically all of last year, but he has been playing like 2016 Letang this year. If he continues this level of play, he's 100% going to be a Norris finalist this year.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
**pictures Letang dive as Backstrom dekes to hit Ovi for the winner in G4, skate to the bench as Kuzy literally backs into the ozone to tie G5, puckwatch as Vrana strolls into the crease to win G5, and toss his stick as Kuzy glides by to win G6**

giphy.gif

Back now as in THIS SEASON, not 5-plus months ago, whiz kid.

Good as in 4g, 4a, 8 pts & +2 in 6 games (including 2g, 1a vs Wash).

Dude is doing fine.

Okay????

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The Leafs are overrated. They haven't done anything in the playoffs.

They're soft. They get out-hit every game. They can't win wall battles.

As skilled as Washington and Pittsburgh are, they are also feisty. Leafs don't have that element to their game. Just look at the hits per game stat:

Pittsburgh is #1
Washington is #4
Leafs is #21

Basically, they aren't built for playoffs style hockey.

Edit: Before I get flamed, just look at the past 2 games. Leafs were forced to play a style of hockey they weren't comfortable with and look what happened. They got dominated.

How about we look at the 5 games before that... Maybe including the game against... I dunno, Washington?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs are overrated. They haven't done anything in the playoffs.

They're soft. They get out-hit every game. They can't win wall battles.

As skilled as Washington and Pittsburgh are, they are also feisty. Leafs don't have that element to their game. Just look at the hits per game stat:

Pittsburgh is #1
Washington is #4
Leafs is #21

Basically, they aren't built for playoffs style hockey.

Edit: Before I get flamed, just look at the past 2 games. Leafs were forced to play a style of hockey they weren't comfortable with and look what happened. They got dominated.

The best part about this red hot bad take is that Toronto has more hits than Pittsburgh and more blocked shots than either of the other two

Gritty4Hart

Oct 19, 2018
Sorry, didn't realize TBL was part of the convo.
Didn't realize the Leafs were in the conversation of nearly every thread on these boards yet somehow it always ends up that way.
I know it must be hard to accept that the Leafs still aren't even the best team in their own division and arguably not even top 5 in the conference:

1-3: Caps/Bolts/Pens (pretty interchangeable at this point)
4: Gritty (could contend for number one)
5: Bruins/Leafs/ CBJ (again, interchangeable)

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
lol Leafs need to win a playoff series before they can be in a comparison thread to two of the last stanley cup winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad