OT: Washington [Insert Team Name Here] 2020 Season Thread 10: Kickers are the best athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So we get to watch actual Redskin, er, Washington Football Team football tomorrow. Lane Johnson is listed as questionable which means the Eagles would be without three of their assumed preseason starters (LT, RG, RT) if he can't play... would love to see the DL feast; they're also without Alshon Jeffrey at WR and Miles Sanders and their rookie 1st round WR are both listed as questionable.

Predictions? I can't decide between the optimist in me where the defense is as advertised and makes life miserable for Wentz all day and gets a few turnovers and the new-look offense isn't as bad as we think it'll be and they win 24-21. The pessimist in me worries that the OL will be as awful as it looks on paper and Haskins is running for his life all day, and the RB by committee means they have no reliable RB at all, and the offensive shittiness is too much for the defense to overcome.

Hmm... 2020 has sucked enough so I'll go positive and say the WFT surprises people and comes away with the W, which means a loss by 14+ is a near guarantee.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So we get to watch actual Redskin, er, Washington Football Team football tomorrow. Lane Johnson is listed as questionable which means the Eagles would be without three of their assumed preseason starters (LT, RG, RT) if he can't play... would love to see the DL feast; they're also without Alshon Jeffrey at WR and Miles Sanders and their rookie 1st round WR are both listed as questionable.

Predictions? I can't decide between the optimist in me where the defense is as advertised and makes life miserable for Wentz all day and gets a few turnovers and the new-look offense isn't as bad as we think it'll be and they win 24-21. The pessimist in me worries that the OL will be as awful as it looks on paper and Haskins is running for his life all day, and the RB by committee means they have no reliable RB at all, and the offensive shittiness is too much for the defense to overcome.

Hmm... 2020 has sucked enough so I'll go positive and say the WFT surprises people and comes away with the W, which means a loss by 14+ is a near guarantee.

I don't have a stat in front of me to back it up but I feel Ertz is likely to go off.

edit: looked it up. His stat line vs the Skins is not outlandish. Only 2 TDS in 14 games. interesting

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Just for context, I'm a vet and my wife is an active duty officer and much of our family has served and continues to serve in various branches of the military. It's important to remember that the military takes an oath to defend the constitution, not the flag, and making the flag the focal link between military service and patriotism continues to cloud who and what the military actually serves and continues to provide a visual marker that people can draw a line in sand against. The argument that kneeling for the anthem disrespects the flag and disrespects the military is absurdly misguided and the longer we continue to perpetuate the charade of "the flag = the troops" the more entrenched this misguided sense of patriotism becomes. I actually find it pretty dangerous because it deflects the conversation away from topics that actually matter.

Have a military appreciation day around Veterans Day in November if it's important for sports leagues to continue to have a link between the leagues and the military but let's stop this nonsense of parading giant flags out before every sporting event and dissecting everyone's response to it.

I know I often have to keep the tears at bay when a fallen soldier is laid to rest and their spouse or parents are given the rolled up constitution that previously adorned the casket.

And who can forget the iconic picture of the marines raising the constitution on Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima. I mean there is an incredible memorial to that moment for a reason right?

If you are really not understanding the incredibly tight link between the flag and the military for so many I really don’t know what to say.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->