OT: Washington [Insert Team Name Here] 2020 Season Thread 10: Kickers are the best athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Warriors is the worst IMO. One of the great things about Redskins is how unique it is. Anytime somebody says Redskin you automatically think of the DC football team. I like RedHawks or Redwolves. I think you have to go away from Indian themed, those driving this aren’t stopping at Redskin. There will always be another target, best to keep as many other names infront of you as possible.

in the end this is Snyder’s fault again as a failed owner. A strongly run organization would have used the data out there and created stronger ties in the community so this would have never gained momentum. But when you keep pissing people off and keep losing support you end up being a low hanging fruit.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gonna try to not get overly political here. But as a guy who has lived his whole life in white privilege there's one thing I've noticed in particular to Native Americans and it's they are intensely proud of their heritage. To the point of like "Damn man you guys put southerners and their whole stars and bars scheme to shame." I feel like if the team would do disservice to Native Americans by abandoning the identity. Name change? New logo? Aw what the hell? Go for it. Things can change. But damn it keep the big feathers, go with a name like Braves, Wolves, Red Hawks (good to see it was suggested by another poster) and make yourself a big chief (or even a stylish R) and be the braves on the warpath fighting for old DC just like the damn song says to. You've been doing it for damn near 100 years. Don't stop now.

And if I may, the whole thing with DC sports teams being named for the fact it's the USA's government center (think Nationals, Senators, Capitals) is played out too much. The Redskins were a unique brand in that regard. All the best tomorrow. It was indeed time for a new name but I pray the team can still pay homage the way it intended but in a more modern 2020 version and the changes can be small but effective.

Trying to imagine this brand as something else is like trying to get me to re-imagine the Florida State Seminoles.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Apparently there's another bomb dropping this week that has nothing to do with the name, and it's not good...

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Gonna try to not get overly political here. But as a guy who has lived his whole life in white privilege there's one thing I've noticed in particular to Native Americans and it's they are intensely proud of their heritage. To the point of like "Damn man you guys put southerners and their whole stars and bars scheme to shame." I feel like if the team would do disservice to Native Americans by abandoning the identity. Name change? New logo? Aw what the hell? Go for it. Things can change. But damn it keep the big feathers, go with a name like Braves, Wolves, Red Hawks (good to see it was suggested by another poster) and make yourself a big chief (or even a stylish R) and be the braves on the warpath fighting for old DC just like the damn song says to. You've been doing it for damn near 100 years. Don't stop now.

And if I may, the whole thing with DC sports teams being named for the fact it's the USA's government center (think Nationals, Senators, Capitals) is played out too much. The Redskins were a unique brand in that regard. All the best tomorrow. It was indeed time for a new name but I pray the team can still pay homage the way it intended but in a more modern 2020 version and the changes can be small but effective.

Trying to imagine this brand as something else is like trying to get me to re-imagine the Florida State Seminoles.
I see what you're saying, and if there was a guaranteed safe way to honor Native American culture with a new name I'd be all for it. But times change, and there's no way to predict what the future will bring. A seemingly respectful name in 2020 might bring trouble in 2050.

The much safer alternative is to pick a name that has nothing to do with Native American culture. Or any culture. Animal names are always safe, so I'm good with Redwolves.

I totally agree that Nationals and Capitals are bad names. I love my Caps as much as anyone on here, but the name is basic AF. Nationals is worse, since there's no such thing as a National, and they play in the National League. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? I'd rather root for the Washington Expos.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Apparently there's another bomb dropping this week that has nothing to do with the name, and it's not good...

I am puzzled by “it’s not good”. Based on the pandemic locking the team down the only thing that rises to the not good level is the team moving.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
It should be Washington Americans

There's Capitals
You have Nationals

Americans just sounds and feels right.

I like the Washington Senators idea too - that would be a cool callback to Washington sports history. Repurposing the old baseball team name could work here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I see what you're saying, and if there was a guaranteed safe way to honor Native American culture with a new name I'd be all for it. But times change, and there's no way to predict what the future will bring. A seemingly respectful name in 2020 might bring trouble in 2050.

The much safer alternative is to pick a name that has nothing to do with Native American culture. Or any culture. Animal names are always safe, so I'm good with Redwolves.

I totally agree that Nationals and Capitals are bad names. I love my Caps as much as anyone on here, but the name is basic AF. Nationals is worse, since there's no such thing as a National, and they play in the National League. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? I'd rather root for the Washington Expos.

I hadn't fully considered that what they think of now may not be taken well in 30 years. The wolf thing is a fantastic idea in my opinion. I even suggested "Huskies" to the CFL brethren in Edmonton for an Eskimos re-name because it reckons to the north and its heritage. In the same vein, wolves are synonymous with North American aboriginal/Native American culture. Even if you don't toss "Red" into the new name for the sake of correctness, who in God's name is gonna be offended by it when they see a wolf inside a feather-laced dream catcher or simply replacing the chief with a paw print inside the classic 'Skins logo? That's the whole idea. If done correctly, this re-brand could result in the most badass looking team in pro sports.

Dan Snyder is an incompetent buffoon on his best day but he actually has a very good opportunity to make the best of this when you consider there's probably very few in DC who don't understand why this is being done but would be just as unhappy to see the identity go

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah. It's just dumb. Trite. Contrived. Like watching a bunch of bumpkins trying to rap.

awww puddin....sorry you’re not a fan. Your teams must have taken lots of ass whoopins to that song over the years for you to care. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->