Post-Game Talk: Washington Hockey Team @ Actually it's a peninsula 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Where is the poster that said our goalies never steal games. VV can’t be any better.

They almost never steal games man. VV was going to steal this one and played an outstanding game on which the forwards couldn't capitalize.

Aside from that I can't recall many games that were stolen either by VV or Samsonov. We often have to score 4 or 5 goals to win because our goalies are leaking back there.

Reactions: Firsov99

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
They almost never steal games man. VV was going to steal this one and played an outstanding game on which the forwards couldn't capitalize.

Aside from that I can't recall many games that were stolen either by VV or Samsonov. We often have to score 4 or 5 goals to win because our goalies are leaking back there.
Is it the goalies or the complete lack of team defense? We give up far too many shots and prime chances.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Is it the goalies or the complete lack of team defense? We give up far too many shots and prime chances.

Because we have two defensemen that are basically trash. They can't clear the puck, they can't shoot worth a damn, they're utterly slow and are the main reasons we get hemmed in on almost every shift.

But don't worry, I'm sure Lavi will bench Vrana again, that should fix it.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Because we have two defensemen that are basically trash. They can't clear the puck, they can't shoot worth a damn, they're utterly slow and are the main reasons we get hemmed in on almost every shift.

tenor.gif

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The other scary thing is that the Rangers seem to really be clicking as the season goes on.

They play Jersey 4 times, Sabres 2 and Caps 2 more times this season. So that's eight wins right there :laugh:

Could easily end up in the last playoff spot. And we do not want to meet them in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That's not true. We're way below league average on high danger chances against at 5 vs 5 (77 for the Caps vs 113 for the league average). We're slightly below league average for shots against (1,101 for the Caps and 1,137 for the league average).

Meanwhile we only have a 0.896 SV% which is way below league average at 0.905 SV%.

I'm glad VV stood on his head tonight but for me it only highlights the fact that they almost never do otherwise.

Reactions: Firsov99

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
That's not true. We're way below league average on high danger chances against at 5 vs 5 (77 for the Caps vs 113 for the league average). We're slightly below league average for shots against (1,101 for the Caps and 1,137 for the league average).

Meanwhile we only have a 0.896 SV% which is way below league average at 0.905 SV%.

I'm glad VV stood on his head tonight but for me it only highlights the fact that they almost never do otherwise.
Tonight, he was left out to dry.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

What is your problem? Why are you whining about Vrana being benched instead of 2 of our dmen that aren't playing well. They are different positions. There is no argument here.
If you could compare him to another winger that is playing like crap I'd understand your point.
BTW Vrana didn't do anything to help his cause. He was pretty much invisible. Made some poor decisions, and just didn't put in the effort that is needed. Don't be surprised if he gets benched again. He has been our worst forward the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Reactions: Pomee

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
What's with all the goalie fangirls.

Tonight VV was very good but he and Sammy have collectively been one of the worst duos in the NHL all season.

This team is old.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
They started giving up many high quality chances when they were trying to tie the game and he saved all of them which is fantastic, but that's only one game. I want to see more of this, that way we don't always have to put up 5 goals to win games.
I still think Caps look for an experienced goaltender so I’m not saying either goalie is the guy for the playoffs. All I’m saying is that the man on man coverage has been painful to watch lately.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I still think Caps look for an experienced goaltender so I’m not saying either goalie is the guy for the playoffs. All I’m saying is that the man on man coverage has been painful to watch lately.

Yeah there is room for improvement on both the blue line and in nets. Anderson is unplayable, we need to make a move for a different veteran G.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
What is your problem? Why are you whining about Vrana being benched instead of 2 of our dmen that aren't playing well. They are different positions. There is no argument here.
If you could compare him to another winger that is playing like crap I'd understand your point.
BTW Vrana didn't do anything to help his cause. He was pretty much invisible. Made some poor decisions, and just didn't put in the effort that is needed. Don't be surprised if he gets benched again. He has been our worst forward the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Because only one person seems to get benched. And talking about whining... when can we expect the next maacocshark vrana tirade?

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Note to Mac: save the futures instead of going all-in for the restructuring to come. Way too slow and old as-is. Details not division-winning calibre.

Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
2 defenseman suck and you are mad about a forward who plays 0 defense getting benched

Right.. because Chara and Dillon are playing defense... rofl. They've lost multiple games and haven't seen the pine once.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On the bright side, I thought we looked better and more structured in this loss than we did in the games we won against the Devils over the weekend. There's something to work with in a game like this from a coaching standpoint, we just need better tactics to break down their D faster than they break down ours.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The other scary thing is that the Rangers seem to really be clicking as the season goes on.

They play Jersey 4 times, Sabres 2 and Caps 2 more times this season. So that's eight wins right there :laugh:

Could easily end up in the last playoff spot. And we do not want to meet them in the playoffs.

If the Rangers make the playoffs and get past the first round they will be in the conference finals at this point. They have nobody stopping their offense and their defense has been solid. That said I hate them. Right now they have almost the intensity as the 2008 Caps.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
If the Rangers make the playoffs and get past the first round they will be in the conference finals at this point. They have nobody stopping their offense and their defense has been solid. That said I hate them. Right now they have almost the intensity as the 2008 Caps.
It would be entertaining as hell to watch them play Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad