Post-Game Talk: Washington Hockey Team @ Actually it's a peninsula 7:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
lol, BM dont even have a leash. Ted trusts his GM. And why shouldnt he, MacLellan has done good job. One of his achievements, to bring a cup to DC.

Look how long McPhee was here for doing worse job.

And, last offseason is A+ for MacLellan from my view. We added Chara and Sheary, both have been great fits. We added Lundqvist and Anderson, both were a need at the time. We kept Dillon, which I perfectly understand and approve. And the most obvious, replacing Reirden with Laviolette. Why would his "leash" be getting shorter? All the moves were logical for the team structure and window of success, aswell as have worked out great since we are still leading our division and hanging in the top5 of the league.

Only thing I hope from BM is to be a little more bold for trading high draft picks. Generally I just dont see our future much differently if we have the 25th pick for years 2021 and 2022 vs, not having them. But obviously cant be overly critical on that since we have no idea what kind of action actually goes through his table. Trading picks just for trading, if the fit isnt really there, would be bad too.

The 4-year specials are whatever. Hagelin, Panik, Dillon, Jensen. Those are not contracts or players that our team is sinking with, but all play a big part on how our team comes out. BM saves cap by signing them long term and thats fine, if you need to get rid of Panik or Dillon or Hagelin at one point its likely not going to be that big of a problem. You can use the picks. And theres the potential homerun-equity on a 4-year cheapish deal too.

BM has always been active in filling holes and adding depth. Some hits and some misses. I like it. McPhee's "i like our team" was not just boring, but also didnt work. Although oddly enough for this TDL im strongly falling into the McPhee-territory and hoping we dont do anything :P

Our D has enormous depth with TvR, Siege and even Fehervary and LaDue and Alexeyev on the ranks. Our goalies are doing good enough so there isnt a sure-thing update on the market. Our offence wont change all that much for getting another depth guy. I might be interested in Haula, but as he is Finnish its not gonna happen. Do we really want to move Panik for another similar third liner, with the cost it will take from us? Do we go out big and try to find update for Vrana? Nah, just roll what we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I would like to see Hagelin on the 3rd line and Panik with Dowd and Hathaway. Hagelin and Eller have fantastic numbers together since Hagelin was traded here. Panik-Dowd-Hathaway killed it last year when they were together as well. It’s worth a shot.

The... I... err.. huh? I think even Hagelin's most fierce defenders wouldn't suggest moving him to the third line is the key to better offense, which is what we needed tonight. He isn't a shooter, and isn't much of a playmaker. He might be good at generally driving play away from the defensive zone and has speed, but as you yourself noted Panik's underlying numbers are good too, and that hasn't helped the third line. Hagelin is the Caps' Beagle in non-faceoff, winger form. He'll pitch in some offense from time to time, but his value is in shutting lines down and killing penalties. The Panik-Dowd-Hathaway line went silent in the playoffs last year, so I'm not sure that's the answer to anyone's questions either. Especially when Hagelin on that line makes it so effective.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Hopefully this is a bad stretch of play because they are looking a lot like the same team from the end of the season last year.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Hopefully this is a bad stretch of play because they are looking a lot like the same team from the end of the season last year.
I was about to post the same thing. I would love to see a string of solid wins against playoff teams. Pretty sure we are under .500 against them this season.

Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The... I... err.. huh? I think even Hagelin's most fierce defenders wouldn't suggest moving him to the third line is the key to better offense, which is what we needed tonight. He isn't a shooter, and isn't much of a playmaker. He might be good at generally driving play away from the defensive zone and has speed, but as you yourself noted Panik's underlying numbers are good too, and that hasn't helped the third line. Hagelin is the Caps' Beagle in non-faceoff, winger form. He'll pitch in some offense from time to time, but his value is in shutting lines down and killing penalties. The Panik-Dowd-Hathaway line went silent in the playoffs last year, so I'm not sure that's the answer to anyone's questions either. Especially when Hagelin on that line makes it so effective.

The Caps 4th line plays more than the 3rd line almost every game and as such is really the 3rd line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

6-8-3 is how the Caps finished February and March last season. 12-5-0 is the Caps most recent 17 game stretch. I see no relation whatsoever. The Caps are 6-4 in their last 10. The best record in the division over that 10 is 6-3-1. The Caps just finished a long 5 game road trip.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
My GMBM hate fueled our Cup run, there’s no doubt in my mind.

It’s good to see there are fresh recruits who are taking up the baton. We’ll definitely need a lot of GM bashing if we plan on getting over the hump again.

For me, I’m out. He won the freaking Cup, and knows how to hire a coach, and we’re near top of league again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was about to post the same thing. I would love to see a string of solid wins against playoff teams. Pretty sure we are under .500 against them this season.

Remember that is only 3 teams.
7-5-3 v Pittsburgh, Islanders, Bruins.
7 home 8 road.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
6-8-3 is how the Caps finished February and March last season. 12-5-0 is the Caps most recent 17 game stretch. I see no relation whatsoever. The Caps are 6-4 in their last 10. The best record in the division over that 10 is 6-3-1. The Caps just finished a long 5 game road trip.
They got the 4 predicable points of 10. That’s the problem as I see it. Last night should have been a lot worse than 1-0.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The Panthers are 6-4 in their last 10. The Canes are 6-2-2. Lightning are 5-5. Caps and Isles both 6-4. Pens 6-3-1. Avs and Leafs are riding modest win streaks, 8-0-2 and 7-2-1 respectively. Golden Knigits are 5-4-1.

This is the time of year when fatigue starts to set in, when teams shift from RS mode to playoff mode, and when injuries can start to pile up.

The sky isn't falling just yet. Be patient though, it will eventually.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Random vent post

I hate Adam Oates

Tom Wilson is a hell of a hockey player who as a first round pick was immediately put on 4th line as a “enforcer”... which wasn’t fair to Wilson - and one of many awful decisions by Oates.

if he developed skill in Hershey he’d be up to nhl as a elite prospect with skill instead of being known as a cheap shot goon.

Us who watch Wilson know he’s a good kid who has been treated very unfairly by the nhl. He’s fast, big, amd strong. He’s a legit nfl linebacker body who skates fast and plays physical. He’s just a beast.

... but Wilson ruined his perception early... and that’s on Oates being a shitty coach and not on Wilson,

thst being said that was so boring of a game. Islanders beat us scoring 8 and then scoring 1. That’s not good. That’s not good at all.

taking a gummy and going to bed.

Also, are you under the impression that Wilson would have been a non fighting/nonphysical force style player like he is now?
His 3 seasons in the OHL he played 28,49 and 48 games with 71, 141 and 104 pims. The Caps drafted him because he was that kind of destroyer. They didnt get him to be TJ Oshie. They got him to be the guy that ran over Visnovsky and changed that series and the guy that scored the OT winner v Toronto. The Caps beat Tampa in part because Wilson terrorizes and delivers pain on their best players one game after another.

Wilson had a rep when he played his first game in the NHL and was challenged by every established fighter in the league over his first 2 seasons. It had nothing to do with Adam Oates

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
I love Z. Great career, seems like a great guy, but he can't keep up anymore and his reach no longer makes up for it. I don't know how many minutes he played last night but it was probably too many. With the improvements Jensen has made now might be the time to try Siegs/Alexeyev/Fehervary and Jensen, just to see whats there.

Orlov needs to be on the first pair because Dillon needs to be demoted. Bye for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The Panthers are 6-4 in their last 10. The Canes are 6-2-2. Lightning are 5-5. Caps and Isles both 6-4. Pens 6-3-1. Avs and Leafs are riding modest win streaks, 8-0-2 and 7-2-1 respectively. Golden Knigits are 5-4-1.

This is the time of year when fatigue starts to set in, when teams shift from RS mode to playoff mode, and when injuries can start to pile up.

The sky isn't falling just yet. Be patient though, it will eventually.
No Kidding could you think of staying in the New Jersey / Long Island hotel for 2 weeks and you cant even hang out with teammates. These road trips must suck

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They got the 4 predicable points of 10. That’s the problem as I see it. Last night should have been a lot worse than 1-0.

In the past we whined about the Capitals because they played down to the level of their competition. Now they destroy those teams and its bad?
The Islanders have lost ONE game at home in regulation and you think losing a 1-0 game with the only goal against late in the 3rd is bad?

The game should have been worse than 1-0? The goalie gets paid too. He is part of the team. We bitch about the goalies not stealing games and then slam the team when goalies stand on their head. IIRC winning games 5-4 is bad too. A .700 winning percentage means that you lose 3 out of every 10 games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can you imagine how awful it must be to be a football fan of Alabama? Your year sucks if you lose a game. Your team is struggling if another team can provide an actual game against them?

Reactions: Calicaps

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The Caps 4th line plays more than the 3rd line almost every game and as such is really the 3rd line.

Sort of, yes. They rarely play more than Eller, or Oshie when he was on that line for a spell. But they do regularly play more than wingers like Sprong and Panik, and lately Vrana, who are tending to make up the third line rotation.

The point was more if you want Eller’s line to produce more, you don’t put him with Hagelin. As much because it kills/confuses the identity of a strong defensive-energy-shutdown line, as because he isn’t the answer on offense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sort of, yes. They rarely play more than Eller, or Oshie when he was on that line for a spell. But they do regularly play more than wingers like Sprong and Panik, and lately Vrana, who are tending to make up the third line rotation.

The point was more if you want Eller’s line to produce more, you don’t put him with Hagelin. As much because it kills/confuses the identity of a strong defensive-energy-shutdown line, as because he isn’t the answer on offense.

I dont think there is any realistic chance that Laviolette messes with the Dowd line. Hagelin could create offense with Eller by stretching the defensive coverage with speed and creating space. The key there is a quality finisher like they had with Connolly.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just for clarification, Ted/Dick Patrick didn't renew McPhee's contract after 17 years and let him become a free agent GM. Ted/Dick Patrick did fire David Poile back in '97 when they missed the playoffs. That was also the time when Ted just took over ownership of the team and probably was looking for a window to open to hire a new GM anyways.

Not exactly.... Ted became owner in 1999. Poile was fired by Abe Pollin in 1997 after 200 years or whatever and Pollin hired GMGM. Ted inherited GMGM and Ron Wilson when he bought the team in 1999. So technically Ted has never fired a Caps GM and only hired one - BMac.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Trotz wanted out because they wouldn't pay him and he felt disrespected. They should have paid him. He's arguably the best coach in the league and just won them a Cup.

Inexcusable, egregious mistake from on high.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Trotz wanted out because they wouldn't pay him and he felt disrespected. They should have paid him. He's arguably the best coach in the league and just won them a Cup.

He's arguably NOT the best coach in the league, and the case for why he IS the best in the league is pretty weak, compared to guys who've won more Cups, won more playoff series, and won with more than one team, he's #3 or 4 IMO.

I'm not at all sure he's better than Lavi, who won a Cup much earlier, and went to Cup finals with 3 teams, things Barry has not done.

Reactions: Calicaps

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
He's arguably NOT the best coach in the league, and the case for why he IS the best in the league is pretty weak, compared to guys who've won more Cups, won more playoff series, and won with more than one team, he's #3 or 4 IMO.

I'm not at all sure he's better than Lavi, who won a Cup much earlier, and went to Cup finals with 3 teams, things Barry has not done.

Please.

He didn't have the talent those other coaches had to work with.

We're talking comparing the Kings and Blackhawks dynasties to Predators and Islanders.

He absolutely has an argument for best coach in the league. Top 3 at least.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

He decided to leave before he won a Cup or knew they wouldn't pay him everything he asked for. He was on the verge of being fired before the '18 run. Then he asked them for the sun, moon, and stars. They said, how about just the stars and he said no, I'd rather dump my talented roster that just won me a cup and go elsewhere. It's a 2-way street, you know.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
He decided to leave before he won a Cup or knew they wouldn't pay him everything he asked for. He was on the verge of being fired before the '18 run. Then he asked them for the sun, moon, and stars. They said, how about just the stars and he said no, I'd rather dump my talented roster that just won me a cup and go elsewhere. It's a 2-way street, you know.

It's really not. They're 50+ yo professionals who deal with this type of shit for a living. It would have taken them 90 seconds to hop on skype and have BMac and Leonsis be like "yo Barry yeah we were gonna fire you and all that because the team was struggling but then you pulled it together and got a cup. You've been in the league for 20 years so you understand how that shit is results driven or whatever. Anyway here's your 4 million dollars go get us another one". and Trotz would have been like "yeah I gotcha I can see things from your management perspective because I'm not an idiot thanks for adapting to shit changing like non-idiots as well and giving me what I earned". Instead BMac scoffed at Trotz wanting to be paid like a top 5 coach and proceeded to waste the next 2 years of Ovechkin and Backstrom having his p***y coach get his teeth kicked in by a WWE wrestler tier coach from Carolina and that very same Barry Trotz with a much shittier roster.

Trotz could have asked for 10 million, they should have given it to him since it doesn't go against the cap. Pretty sure he asked for what he ultimately got paid on the market and if you ask around the league the vast majority of GMs would jump at poaching him from the Isles his current salary.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's really not. They're 50+ yo professionals who deal with this type of shit for a living. It would have taken them 90 seconds to hop on skype and have BMac and Leonsis be like "yo Barry yeah we were gonna fire you and all that because the team was struggling but then you pulled it together and got a cup. You've been in the league for 20 years so you understand how that shit is results driven or whatever. Anyway here's your 4 million dollars go get us another one". and Trotz would have been like "yeah I gotcha I can see things from your management perspective because I'm not an idiot thanks for adapting to shit changing like non-idiots as well and giving me what I earned". Instead BMac scoffed at Trotz wanting to be paid like a top 5 coach and proceeded to waste the next 2 years of Ovechkin and Backstrom having his p***y coach get his teeth kicked in by a WWE wrestler tier coach from Carolina and that very same Barry Trotz with a much shittier roster.

Trotz could have asked for 10 million, they should have given it to him since it doesn't go against the cap. Pretty sure he asked for what he ultimately got paid on the market and if you ask around the league the vast majority of GMs would jump at poaching him from the Isles his current salary.
First off, it was Ted's call, not Mac's. Second, TROTZ HAD A CONTRACT which he had agreed to and which Ted had negotiated in good faith. Trotz reneged and demanded more. So Ted could be his bitch or do what he did which was offer a middle ground. It's not as if Trotz won the Cup by himself. BMac had a role. The players had the biggest role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->