OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have NYG pegged as the major first round losers. My OSU trauma has me highly skeptical of Fields, but holy shit how do you not upgrade at QB. Jones isn't their answer, but they don't realize it yet. They should boil down the franchise to make cleat glue. Maybe then they'd be useful.

Reactions: max21

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I didn't realize that the freaking Eagles have (most likely) 3 first round picks in 2022. They have 2#1s guaranteed,
and the third one depends on Carson Wentz performance in Indy. Annoying.

Reactions: Neil Racki

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I called the pick underwhelming initially so you're not alone in that department. Picking a guy with limited film based on measurables and explosiveness has been a good way to waste a pick historically which was the issue for me. That said, if we should trust anyone on this it's Ron and JDR. There should be no better combination in the NFL to grade a Linebacker than those two. And LB is a huge need... so big in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted another one in this draft (Pete Werner sticks out as someone they'd like). They clearly are trying to get faster and more physical which is a good thing.

Lots of talent left at OT, WR, and S. I would prefer they don't reach for a QB in the second just to say they addressed the QB position. Get more talent in that locker room regardless of position. Freiermuth would be a nice get as well. I'd love to see them get Jevon Holland tonight.

NFL.com predicts Washington takes WR Terrace Marshall Jr at 51, QB Davis Mills at 74 and TE Tommy Tremble at 82. I would be alright with that. I'd prefer Trask to Mills (I think the whole "Trask is not athletic" mantra is overblown and he looked real good on his pro day, plus he did the whiteboard with Steve Mariucci and Trask knows football), but NFL.com predicts Trask will go to Tampa Bay at 62.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Prediction for our second rounder?

After watching Mariucci and Trask, I'm hoping more and more for Trask. How can you not like a guy raised by a single parent (his mom), was patient throughout high school and college, came in and did a fantastic job. He knows playbooks and systems, sees the field well and contrary to popular belief about not having a great arm, he was throwing 60, 70 yards at his pro day. He's a good athlete and he's a smart kid. I like seeing these guys experience adversity and do well. You know that he won't complain and he'll work. Those are guys you win with. They just quietly go about their business and they're prepared. I didn't like the thought of Trask at first, but the more I watch, the more I really like the idea of Trask in Washington. He's a worker and he's someone who is very coachable.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Prediction for our second rounder?
I think at 51 has good potential for a WR, Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall could be there. Rondale Moore is probably gone, Jevon Holland as FS would be a good grab also. Man if we grabbed one of the top FS left, our defense would be so fun to watch. I just don’t know how I feel about a QB project on a day 2 pick. A lot of players left that are day 1 starters that instantly help the team. I’ve pretty much accepted Fitz as our QB for next year

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
NFL.com predicts Washington takes WR Terrace Marshall Jr at 51, QB Davis Mills at 74 and TE Tommy Tremble at 82. I would be alright with that. I'd prefer Trask to Mills (I think the whole "Trask is not athletic" mantra is overblown and he looked real good on his pro day, plus he did the whiteboard with Steve Mariucci and Trask knows football), but NFL.com predicts Trask will go to Tampa Bay at 62.
I think that'd be a really strong second day, though I do hope they can find some help at tackle. If they don't maybe it says they think highly of Saahdiq Charles who by all reports was an early Day Two talent who had some behavior concerns that caused him to fall to the 4th round.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think at 51 has good potential for a WR, Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall could be there. Rondale Moore is probably gone, Jevon Holland as FS would be a good grab also. Man if we grabbed one of the top FS left, our defense would be so fun to watch. I just don’t know how I feel about a QB project on a day 2 pick. A lot of players left that are day 1 starters that instantly help the team. I’ve pretty much accepted Fitz as our QB for next year
Kinda my thoughts as well. There are a lot of guys who seemingly could help them this year and I don't want to waste that opportunity because the staff takes a flier on a QB who is unlikely to pan out.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I have NYG pegged as the major first round losers. My OSU trauma has me highly skeptical of Fields, but holy shit how do you not upgrade at QB. Jones isn't their answer, but they don't realize it yet. They should boil down the franchise to make cleat glue. Maybe then they'd be useful.
The Giants fans reaction to the Toney pick was priceless. Let’s hope they continue the suck with Jones, oh and f*** Mara

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Fuggin love this! When I was a peewee football kid, I loved Neil Olkewicz, because we were both short and feisty and I played LB a lot. I wore 52 my whole youth football time... no one worth shinola has worn that number with WFT since Neil. I just may actually have to buy a Davis 52 jersey *

*If Snyder ever sells the team that is.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
After watching Mariucci and Trask, I'm hoping more and more for Trask. How can you not like a guy raised by a single parent (his mom), was patient throughout high school and college, came in and did a fantastic job. He knows playbooks and systems, sees the field well and contrary to popular belief about not having a great arm, he was throwing 60, 70 yards at his pro day. He's a good athlete and he's a smart kid. I like seeing these guys experience adversity and do well. You know that he won't complain and he'll work. Those are guys you win with. They just quietly go about their business and they're prepared. I didn't like the thought of Trask at first, but the more I watch, the more I really like the idea of Trask in Washington. He's a worker and he's someone who is very coachable.

I haven't studied Trask. Do you see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder? I wouldn't mind any of the QBs at one of our 3rds, its low enough risk that we don't have to force him into the lineup before he's ready.

With the 2nd I'd like to see someone who helps on day 1 though.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

I can get behind Trask as a 3rd round pick. Or a trade-back-into the 2nd pick.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I haven't studied Trask. Do you see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder? I wouldn't mind any of the QBs at one of our 3rds, its low enough risk that we don't have to force him into the lineup before he's ready.

With the 2nd I'd like to see someone who helps on day 1 though.

Myself, I really like Trask. I like the way he thinks and sees the field. He processes the game well and he's cool and calm under pressure. The arm gets a lot of talk, but at his pro day he was having no problems launching bombs, so I think the whole arm strength thing is overblown. He's also deadly proficient in the red zone, a problem that has plagued Washington for some time. He's good at distributing the ball well amongst his receivers and he uses his running backs well. He also does a great job at protecting the ball and he's a high completion passer. He's got a good touch with the ball as well.

Where my concerns come with Trask is that his footwork needs a lot of work. Watching him scramble is painful. He doesn't hit the holes that are available to him and it often leaves one questioning how he can see the field so well, yet when the pocket collapses, he doesn't see the openings available to him. As well, for a big guy, he goes down quickly when defensive players tackle him. I think for a player of his size, a 6'2, 200 pound safety shouldn't be able to take him down, yet it happens and it happens with ease.

The good news though is that those physical 'issues' he has are easily correctable. The intangibles he brings though are superb. I think he's one of those guys though that you want to tailor your system to and not have him try to fit the system you want to run. You'll be disappointed in that. If you can fit a system to his strengths, you're going to be very happy with Trask. If Washington were to take him and were expecting a quarterback like a young Cam Newton or a Deshaun Watson, you're going to be disappointed. But, if you plan on building a system around him, you could potentially have a Philip Rivers type on your hands. Myself, I liked Phil, so I'd have no problems with that, but I'm not running the team.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Where my concerns come with Trask is that his footwork needs a lot of work. Watching him scramble is painful. He doesn't hit the holes that are available to him and it often leaves one questioning how he can see the field so well, yet when the pocket collapses, he doesn't see the openings available to him. As well, for a big guy, he goes down quickly when defensive players tackle him. I think for a player of his size, a 6'2, 200 pound safety shouldn't be able to take him down, yet it happens and it happens with ease.

I know everyone wants a Russell Wilson or Patrick Mahomes clone, but Tom Brady scrambles like my dead grandma, and he's won more SBs than anyone. I want a QB who can pass first. If he can slide in the pocket to buy some time to find a receiver, that's just a much better recipe than these guys who make a read then run for their lives.

Thanks for the writeup... I'll go look at some film of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad