OT: Washington Football Team: What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
How is it that a QB, who couldn’t cut it in the NFL, lands a job as a QB coach...in the NFL?

is it a case of the body not on same page with the mind, while a player?

Happens a lot. Doug Pedersen was a career backup, now SB winning HC who climbed the ranks from QB coach, OC to HC. LaFleur similar. Lots more. Alex Van Pelt. Kellen Moore, Matt Cavanaugh, heck our own Kevin O'Connell.

What is the old saying? Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This Jones at 3 thing is silly. I can’t imagine the Niners wouldn’t sent ALL THAT collateral to move from 12 to 3 for a guy that was seemingly available at 12.

they will take Lance.

I think it would be hilarious for them to have made the move up for Jones, then watched him chunk his pro day, now they are pivoting to Lance as a backup plan.

AP-49ers-Football.jpg

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Sure would have been nice if Alex Smith decided to retire before and help with our dead cap. I get it that he wanted to test the market out first, but we all knew he wasn't going to get real playing time anywhere else.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sure would have been nice if Alex Smith decided to retire before and help with our dead cap. I get it that he wanted to test the market out first, but we all knew he wasn't going to get real playing time anywhere else.

He wants to play... its only now that no one is signing him that he realizes his time is up.

Reactions: tenken00

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
How is it that a QB, who couldn’t cut it in the NFL, lands a job as a QB coach...in the NFL?

is it a case of the body not on same page with the mind, while a player?

They also have the best vantage of the game in that they're watching from the sidelines and they can see everything in terms of mechanics, development, viewing the field, etc.....

They also have extensive knowledge of different offensive schemes from having been around the league.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A Smith on Outside the lines......he went to Jax and checked out the situation.......interesting. Guessing the money offered wasn’t worth the risk.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Happens a lot. Doug Pedersen was a career backup, now SB winning HC who climbed the ranks from QB coach, OC to HC. LaFleur similar. Lots more. Alex Van Pelt. Kellen Moore, Matt Cavanaugh, heck our own Kevin O'Connell.

What is the old saying? Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.
+1

There is only 32 NFL teams. So at a minimum there are 64 QBs in the NFL at one time. If you make it to the NFL, even if you suck like Beck did, you know how to play the QB position, you know how to teach it. And being a Morman probably helps. ;)

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Good for him! And as far as Comeback Player of the Year, he's Comeback Player of the Millennium as far as I'm, concerned. Everest indeed. What he did was truly not supposed to be possible. I mean, I've seen the picture of his tibia/fibia just waving in the breeze.

Now go have fun with you beautiful family.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I was only half serious with my initial post wrt ex-sucky qbs becoming coaches.

it’s quite interesting how that happens....bad to middling players become good to exceptional coaches while good to exceptional ones the opposite.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

it’s quite interesting how that happens....bad to middling players become good to exceptional coaches while good to exceptional ones the opposite.

It depends. It's like Michael Jordan not wanting to be an NBA coach because what made him exceptional were gifts no one else had. A lot of times, there are players that understand the X's and O's of the game but didn't have the talent to do it themselves.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
He never played a down for us, unfortunate. Heisman runner up in 2017, wonder if he will ever play again

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ron wants his own players. What a waste of a pick Love was :(
Waste of a pick? He was an absolute star in college and was talked about as a high-end first round pick before he got hurt. Using 4th on a guy with that kind of talent hoping he could come back from an ACL injury was a worthy gamble.

Sucks he couldn’t recover... he got hurt on the last snap of the last game of his college career and it likely cost him millions of dollars if not tens of millions in career earnings.

Reactions: Ajax1995

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Waste of a pick? He was an absolute star in college and was talked about as a high-end first round pick before he got hurt. Using 4th on a guy with that kind of talent hoping he could come back from an ACL injury was a worthy gamble.

Sucks he couldn’t recover... he got hurt on the last snap of the last game of his college career and it likely cost him millions of dollars if not tens of millions in career earnings.
Between Guice and Love we struck out pretty hard on our future RB

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Between Guice and Love we struck out pretty hard on our future RB
Yeah but Gibson looks like a potential star and McKissick has been great as well.

I want them to dip back into the Memphis well and take Kenneth Gainwell in this draft. Former high school QB who runs a 4.4 and is explosive as a runner and as a receiver. He wouldn’t solve their power back needs but he seems to be in the mold of what they look for in terms of playmaking ability and versatility.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Gruden played QB at Louisville. Never got a sniff in the NFL but turned into a good OC at least. HC, meh.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I’d say Guice and Matt Jones were wasted picks on RBs. Love was worth the gamble in the 4th round.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things. And even if you have both in your pocket maybe you're not the best communicator, or motivator.

Playing experience is not always the requisite or guarantee of good coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad