OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Think if Harmon comes back strong they have a nice mix with him, Samuel, and Terry. Harmon doesn't have the speed like Samuel and Terry but he's a big body who can make the contested catch.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
<rant>

So Trent Williams, who hasn't played a complete season since 2013 (back when Mike Shanahan was HC and RGIII was the starting QB, who has missed 1,2,4,6,3, and 2 games his last six seasons with a 16 game holdout in the middle, who will be 33 this summer, is worth $20M? But Scherff who has very similar career trajectory (draft slot, pro bowls, injuries) but will be 29 this season) isn't worth $15M? Ok, I get it, they play different positions, and I get there is a hierarchy among OL positions which dictates pay scales, and the movie The Blind Side contributes to that notion, but I question its real validity.

Left tackle is important, sure, but I think all the OL is important. You need a couple studs who dominate the DL to consistently plow open running lanes. And you need pass protection from all five guys as a unit. Its harder to go around the LT to get to the QB than it is to go straight up the middle, if you have a sieve at either position. In olden days, DTs were run stuffers, not much of pass rushers, so interior OL needed to focus on the running game more than pass protection, but thats no longer the case. There are stud interior DL will will wreak just as much havoc on an offense as a stud edge rusher will. Also if you have a weaker LT you can double an edge rusher with a TE, H-back or FB, leaving four other OL to protect. If you have a weak guard (mismatched against a DT), you cannot use a TE to help, you need to double with another OL and that creates the mismatches that defenses exploit.

I'm not suggesting there isn't a hierarchy in place on the OL - roughly its LT, RT, LG, RG, C. But I question whether that thinking is obsolete. Teams put pressure up the middle a lot now, more so than in the past. LT was a premium for the Redskins when they faced LT (Lawrence Taylor) and Reggie White four times a year. Right now the biggest threats we face are from the interior DL. And before we all say "its harder to find a LT than a OG, I present Cornelius Lucas. Undrafted free agent, bounced around the NFL in one year stints for several years. Literally a scrap heap pickup who was behind Geron Christian until mid season. Then when Lucas went into the starting lineup, his PFF grade was HIGHER than Trent Williams was. He started 8 games, and allowed 2 sacks and had 1 penalty. Thats nearly All Pro Level across a full season. Trent Williams played about 1/3 more snaps, but had 10 penalties 4 sacks allowed. So maybe LT doesn't need to be a first round pick this year? Maybe we should just keep what we had working for the last half of the season?

Ok, cue up the belittling responses, 3.2.1. go!

</rant>

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Legal tampering went live at 12. Here is some early news and info.

Ahahahahaha.......enjoy that Kyle!

And sorry Dave....LT trumps all in the NFL value-wise on the line. It is what it is. Our preferences don’t matter.

FWIW Scherff at 15 per is palatable.....30% more....not so much for my tastes.

are you on commission with Scherff? ;)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
I like Mitch Trubisky, more than Sam Donald for two reasons.

1) Virtually risk free and won’t cost a draft pick
2) He’s very mobile compared to Donald, so he should be able to extend plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad