OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Training Camp and Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Could we talk about the Skins/WFT? This threads trash already.

Jason Wright is amazing. I don't think I could be any happier with the work he's doing to help restore our "damn good" culture. From hanging out with fans to making fun of himself on Twitter. He genuinely cares and wants to help the organization change. Don't know the last time I can say I felt that from anyone sitting that high up in the organization.
Here here!

we have a COVID thread. I’m not choosing sides with this, just choosing which thread I need to read it on

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well this is certainly a good sign.

Source: WFT vaccination rate climbs to 84%

On Saturday, they had the 31st rate in the league, believed to be 70%. That would have left them 19 percentage points behind the league average. They're now six points shy of the league average of players receiving at least one shot.

They're now just slightly below average. Still pathetic though for a team with a HC that is immune compromised.

Reactions: Calicaps

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Here here!

we have a COVID thread. I’m not choosing sides with this, just choosing which thread I need to read it on
There’s a thread?? I don’t think the Caps winning another cup can even stop the amount name calling and embarrassing lack of content from this board now. This used to be thee place for breaking news ect but it’s evolved into a bunch of people’s political opinions I don’t care about. Yes I’ve received my vaccination. Who do I need to show proof of this to so that I may post here again?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why are we crying about this? Believe it or not this board is more active this summer than in years past, except maybe the Cup year. Used to go weeks with hardly any posts and the ones we did get were far worse. Chara discussion in the other thread seems pointless but is more relevant than some of the nonsense we've had filling space and time over the summer dry spell.

This is a discussion board last I checked, not a headline ticker. There are plenty of those out there if opinions are not your thing.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There’s a thread?? I don’t think the Caps winning another cup can even stop the amount name calling and embarrassing lack of content from this board now. This used to be thee place for breaking news ect but it’s evolved into a bunch of people’s political opinions I don’t care about. Yes I’ve received my vaccination. Who do I need to show proof of this to so that I may post here again?
Not sure why I’m getting this — but it’s obvious there is a COVID thread. This WFT thread doesn’t need that as part of the discussion.

frankly, none of the threads should promote that part of the discussion.

Reactions: Eirikrautha

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not true.

You can definitely go there, as long as you pay like 400 bucks for the privilege.

Need to register and give them $$$. As long as you pay the $$$, anyone is ok.

Not altruistic, but capitalistic

Ah still oof.

I thought you could apply for an exemption, but I didn't know it was for $400. Not bad if you are staying there for an extended period of time, but for a day or two on top of your travel expenses?

Not that I would have had a problem but I remember some planned trips with friends have been canceled.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why is that infantile? It would be pretty damn stupid to go through all this name change stuff and then allow people to prance around dressed like Native Americans wouldn't it?

Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Why is that infantile? It would be pretty damn stupid to go through all this name change stuff and then allow people to prance around dressed like Native Americans wouldn't it?
Seriously. To go to all the trouble and cost to rebrand and then still have people engaging in the very disrespect that made it necessary in the first place would be a truly epic fail.

I assume people can still wear their jerseys, t-shirts, hats, etc with the Redskins name and logo?
I thought they said previously they would permit that, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Picking an Executive Producer of the show to replace Trebek is a lot like replacing Frank Herzog with Larry Michaels

Reactions: kicksavedave

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Seriously. To go to all the trouble and cost to rebrand and then still have people engaging in the very disrespect that made it necessary in the first place would be a truly epic fail.

I thought they said previously they would permit that, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Disrespect lol

Reactions: Eirikrautha

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Disrespect lol
yes, disrespect. elaborate headdresses are sacred regalia for the leaders of certain tribal peoples. and those people have for decades said that the use of that regalia for something as trivial as a football team is disrespectful. now maybe you don’t care about that, but those are in fact sacred symbols.

Reactions: g00n

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I think the point was that we are at a point where dressing up as somebody is now offensive. I’ve seen it banned at Halloween parties too. I get why the formerskins are doing it, they almost have to. It would be nice if they would have already come out with the new name and put out such a product that people would rather embrace the new name, but you know that isnt happening.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
yes, disrespect. elaborate headdresses are sacred regalia for the leaders of certain tribal peoples. and those people have for decades said that the use of that regalia for something as trivial as a football team is disrespectful. now maybe you don’t care about that, but those are in fact sacred symbols.
Not if you do it right.
upload_2021-8-5_6-0-14.jpeg

That’s why I put this on Danny. Coolie has talked about this in the past, every time they would reach out to engage Native American tribes it turned out to be more of a publicity stunt and not genuine. It could have been a partnership if we didn’t have a tool as an owner.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the point was that we are at a point where dressing up as somebody is now offensive. I’ve seen it banned at Halloween parties too. I get why the formerskins are doing it, they almost have to. It would be nice if they would have already come out with the new name and put out such a product that people would rather embrace the new name, but you know that isnt happening.

Well you know, these are the times in which we live.

People are selective about what they find offensive. Some get twisted over perceived slights against Christmas. For others it's "disrespect" to the flag, or the anthem, or police. Or maybe it's hurt feelings because someone belittled the South, or people who live in very rural areas. There are times when a discontinued book or toy triggers outrage. It's a seemingly neverending list that changes every day!

But one thing most civilized, educated people have in common is the belief that making fun of people for their RACE is not OK.

People who dress up as "a black guy" for Halloween are going to look pretty bad, right? So why is it good to dress up as a generic Native American for a sporting event? It's not the 1950s. By now everyone knows the history of Native Americans in this country, and what was done to them. Even though they represent a minority in our society today there's still moral baggage and risk if you ignore that history.

I can see some creative, artistic license being allowed for various performances for sure. Attacking that goes too far at times. But random drunk sports fans painting themselves like Native Americans and faking tomahawk chops or whooping pretend war cries? Pretty hard to defend, and maybe a little infantile.

Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not if you do it right.
View attachment 459438

That’s why I put this on Danny. Coolie has talked about this in the past, every time they would reach out to engage Native American tribes it turned out to be more of a publicity stunt and not genuine. It could have been a partnership if we didn’t have a tool as an owner.

Do you think there's a difference between a specific, local tribe having a relationship to a public institution in the area, and some rich asshole owner with a team based on a generic term that some consider a slur?

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Not sure why I’m getting this — but it’s obvious there is a COVID thread. This WFT thread doesn’t need that as part of the discussion.

frankly, none of the threads should promote that part of the discussion.

When we are discussing the teams vaccination rates, then it’s 100% relevant conversation. I don’t get why people are getting so pissy.

Its literally educated scientists/doctors vs qanon idiocy/foolishness. It’s not political.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->